Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what the general consensus is regarding the frequency and volume of trapshooting required to maintain proficiency. If you are a 27 yard shooter what does it take for you to remain in your comfort zone at that yardage? How long can you generally lay off of shooting before your skills erode to a significant extent? Is there greater value in shooting more frequently or in shooting a higher volume of shells on a somewhat less frequent basis?

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Right now I'm shooting a flat a week but starting in the Spring through the Fall I will be shooting 2 flat/week of practice.

I like to shoot 2-3 times per week.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I'm on the 26 1/2 and am not happy if I don't shoot at least twice a week. 3 times is better. I also shoot all year long so I have no long layoff.

Rich in Indiana

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
By dividing my total 2010 registered targets by 52, I conclude that I shot an average of 257.7 registered targets each week. Bases on memory I averaged shooting 5.77 practice targets each week. It is my intent to shoot more registered targets next year and perhaps even a few more practice targets.

Pat Ireland

·
Registered
696 Posts
Usually every Thursday evening 50 or 100 shells and alternate Saturdays 100 shells again. Been shooting less than 2 years but broke 945 of the last 1000 at 16 yds. Have started to shoot handicaps also.
Woody

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
I think to be Ok at the 27 or to just get there, You need at least 300 rounds a week split up into 2-3 days, all year. You really want to be good: 500 a week/three days equals about 12,000 a year. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Sometimes it seems like less practice helps my score more than more practice. But then there is that monkey on my back that starts chewing my ear if I haven't been shooting in the last few days. I like shooting about 250 per week on practice and then one or two matches per month. I think your question could be rephrased to read something like 'how much fun can you afford'?

·
Banned
5,706 Posts
I don't shoot registered as much as I used to, I noiw shoot buddy shoots 4 days a week and all from the 27, which is usually around 250-300 targets a week plus registered handicap. I just got home from shooting 100 targets to nite. We shoot 3 hole fast targets and low and high targets throughout the shoot. And I shoot year round, no slack time plus some 60 bird buddy shoots on top of that.

Gary Bryant
Dr.longshot

·
Registered
507 Posts
4 big 50 shoots a month=600, plus the praticing on weekends with about a flat, and just finished 1300 rounds this last weekend.This is the most I have shot in a month plus 100 20 gauge and 100 410 shooting skeet. 3300 24 yards and A class in singles and a class in doubles which I am way over classed in that department.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.