Trapshooters Forum banner

Shooting food carbs ect.

1577 Views 13 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Lucky1
Maybe in over thinking, or just over analyzing it. I went to a one day ATA about a month ago. I had a high carb breakfast. I felt sluggish and shot not to well. I chalked it up to the first shoot of the year for me. The other night for dinner I had pizza (another high carb meal) and went and shot 100 rounds practice and shoot a 88. My normal avaerage is 93 or so. I just couldn’t get into and felt slow and sluggish. How many guys and gals try to limit carbs ect while or before shooting. I know a lot of athletes don’t eat certain things while training. Maybe in just crazy and trying to find an excuse for me shooting crappy. I’m not diabetic and decent shape.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
6,293 Posts
More likely to have been the fat that made the carbs palatable.
That said, low glycemic index carbs are by far the best choice for any sustained exercise, both as a pre-trap shoot meal and as a planned periodic boost during the shoot - apple slices with crushed walnuts in a little honey works great; tuna and cheese for a more substantial snack
A Beginner’s Guide to the Low-Glycemic Diet

BTW: we're all different, and Nutrigenetics is legitimate science, but has a long way to go before general clinical application.
If you want, for $300 you can get some recommendations based on your DNA profile

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
Don't all the high level athletes load up on carbs before a big game?
I assumed that's what I should be doing before a shoot.
Shooting is not a high level athletic sport. It doesn’t demand high physical output levels over extended periods of time.

· Registered
6,262 Posts
Don't all the high level athletes load up on carbs before a big game?
I assumed that's what I should be doing before a shoot.
Yes, if you're doing a triathlon the next day, carb loading is a valid strategy. Suzy Chaffee said her regimen the night before a big ski meet was a big plate of spaghetti, then sex, then sleep.

Why do most trap shooter sweat so much then?
The meat sweats. :sneaky:
Seriously, I like jerky or protein bars as a snack at day-long shoots, though I've been known to grab a donut on the way to a shoot. :(

· Premium Member
8,302 Posts
I can tell countless stories about the volume of consumption that Leo and I involved our selves in and the winning scores that we posted shortly thereafter. This was day and night.

Everybody's body reacts different however.

Make sure that it's relevant like many things in this "feel good mindset" we now live and not just a sympathy excuse for lack of mental focus.

· What squad am I on?
TriStar TT15
8,770 Posts
If you're that serious, acclimate your body starting at least a week ahead. Sleep, diet, routine etc...
I'm different. I typically eat once a day. I sleep less than six hours. If I try to force myself to change thinking it'll help get me another target or two, it backfires.
If it's early, I won't eat. I'll eat light between events paying more attention to hydration than food. When the day's done it's beer and food.
What's odd is that on mornings of a big event I'll be wide awake at 3:30am without fail, like clockwork. I started to roll with it and my nerves have settled down completely.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.