Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having difficulty with my shooting dynamics. Having shot in the early 60's - using my fathers rather straight model 12 - I shot going considerably under the bird to break it. Now many years later, I'm doing the same thing sometimes and sometimes I'm not but, rather, I'm going right to the bird and just slightly under it. The trouble is I've moved my adjustable comb (yep, it's not welded) to go right to, and slightly under, the bird as that just made sense (my logic being it's time to quit guessing how far to be under a bird - just go right to and slightly under it). My trouble now is I seem to revert back to "considerably under it" sometimes and miss. It's driving me crazy.

I know it's stupid - so you don't need to tell me. Does anyone else suffer this malady and, if yes, how did you get over it? Maybe it's as simply as just telling myself, before each shot, what to do but that hasn't even worked every single time. Clearly it's a mental block I can't seem to overcome. I'm even considering going back to shooting considerably the bird as I've broken many 50's doing that but not with this new approach. My shooting dynamics are killing me as I have more than one - HELP.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
I'm amazed at your professed past success when you talk about shooting UNDER a rising target. If you start out under, and it is moving up, odds are that you will not break that target. Leo was asked many times about how to fix a "mental issue", usually dealing with flinching. He always said "change something". You haven't really changed much in your sight picture, maybe that isn't the problem, maybe you have problem elsewhere. Have someone watch you shoot, you can't watch yourself, unless you video. I would suggest you consider the idea of "shooting where the bird is going, not where it has already been."
Leo explains this better than I have here, you can watch of clip of his instructional videos on YouTube or you can contact me if you are interested in getting one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts