Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I have snakes in my head or is it real? Got a new gun and I am trying to get things dialed in. I have fired close to 5K rounds so I'm feeling confident. I have been using different ammo ranging from Rio to STS and AA. I swear when I shoot some, not all of the cheaper ammo, I get less desirable results. some cheaper loads work great. I'm struggling with this because I feel if your on, your on, it should not make a difference. If this has been asked in the past forgive me in advance. Thanks for you're input.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Singles? Doubles? Handicap? Yardage?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Have you patterned the various brands?
Finding the ones that pattern best out of your gun is paramount to performance.
When you are hitting well or not, is it consistent with a brand.
For example, if, let's say, Rio is not hitting well, does it do that always?
Is it the same for the brands that shoot well?
If so, hit the pattern board.
Good info on patterning.
http://www.claytargettesting.com/POI/Point_of_Impact_and_Pattern_Testing_at_13_Yards.pdf
George

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I really doubt it has much to do with the ammo. Most of us have good days and bad, peaks and valleys. Some are constantly changing the gun etc. looking for results. There are no magic guns or shells.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I shoot whatever I can get cheapest. (As long as they are light loads). I shoot only 16 yard targets and sporting clays. If you shoot handicap it will pay you to visit the pattern board and compare the performance of the shells that you are shooting. However in my case I feel that if I'm missing targets; it is not due to the shells performance. As far as my preference I like Herters, Federal, Estate or Gun Clubs; for an inexpensive load. (All 1145 fps) However, given a choice I really prefer my reloads. But, I can't justify reloading when I can purchase new shells for $5 or less a box. JMHO. Ed

·
Registered
113 Posts
You better be kidding me! LOL

I really doubt it has much to do with the ammo. Most of us have good days and bad, peaks and valleys. Some are constantly changing the gun etc. looking for results. There are no magic guns or shells.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
After I pull out of the car wash, my car seems to perform/drive better. I have similar dirty auto feelings when shooting those cheap shells.....prefer my reloads or factory premium shells.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Do I have snakes in my head or is it real? Got a new gun and I am trying to get things dialed in. I have fired close to 5K rounds so I'm feeling confident. I have been using different ammo ranging from Rio to STS and AA. I swear when I shoot some, not all of the cheaper ammo, I get less desirable results. some cheaper loads work great. I'm struggling with this because I feel if your on, your on, it should not make a difference. If this has been asked in the past forgive me in advance. Thanks for you're input.
Absolutely ammo makes a difference. Not some much in the top tier of the major three. But when you play with the imports and second tier, there's a difference.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Absolutely. Pattern test the different brands and let your gun tell you what it likes. The premium USA shells are all good but even with them you can find one that performs a bit better than the others. As Pheasant Master said, with the promo stuff and/or Euro trash there are big differences.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
At 16 yards, it's about putting the barrel where it needs to be. If you're behind it, it makes little difference what type of shell, or how much shot you're using. I constantly hear guys making excuses, and blaming their gun, shells, etc. They won't face the fact that they're the problem not the equipment. Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
IMO, A lot of trap is a mind game and using consistent ammo removes that dimension for me.

I prefer my own reloads best. I use the same hull, primer, powder, wad and shot combination. I try and match a new Federal Paper 2 3/4 - 1 1/8 - 7 1/2. When I do shoot new shells, it is with Federal Paper or Plastic Extra Light loads. Works for me.

For games I used to reload a few heavier and faster loads.

Overall, I prefer my reloads in Federal Gold Medal Paper and Plastic hulls.

I do not like steel cased hulls.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Have a friend who bought a new Browning Citori CX in June. We took it to the range and patterned it with different Federal target loads and with both the mod and full chokes. The full didn't show so much difference between shells but the modified choke showed a very noticeable difference between the shells. The Federal Field and Target shot a way better pattern than the other Federals. I was surprised by how much. Patterning is your friend.

·
Registered
360 Posts
When shooting federal shells i was told they have a harder primer and will break firing pins.Is this true?Thanks

1 - 20 of 61 Posts