Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SPARTA — If Gov. Bruce Rauner’s proposed budget is approved the Illinois Department of Natural Resources will be a leaner organization, but it will still include the World Shooting and Recreational Complex in Sparta.

“At one time there was some discussion about privatizing part of it,” said Wayne Rosenthal, IDNR director. “We’re not going to do that right now.

“It’s a great facility. That’s what everybody says.”

The sprawling 1,600-acre facility was completed in 2006 at a cost of $31.5 million. The WSRC is home to The Grand American, the largest trap shooting event in the world. It is also home of the Scholastic Clay Target Program and the U.S. Open trap shooting competition. The Trapshooting Hall of Fame is being built on the grounds. It should be completed this summer.

However, even the site’s most ardent supporters acknowledge it is not being fully utilized.

“You can always do better,” Rosenthal said. “That’s the key. We know where we’ve come from. We know we have an outstanding state of the art complex. How do we better utilize it going forward? That’s the next step we want to take.

“You can’t describe the enormity of it, just how huge it is. There is a lot of potential here that’s really untapped right now because there are a lot of shooting sports with the pistol and rifle that are untapped. With the continued growth of concealed carry, there are people looking for places to shoot first of all. Then, there are people looking for competition. That offers potential for the future.”

The state has hired a new marketing director for the facility. Rosenthal said a nationwide search is underway for an executive director for the WSRC. He remains optimistic about the future of the facility.

“I always have been,” he said. “The hardest part is, building a facility. It’s built. It’s a state of the art facility. No other place in the country is like this, where you have everything. I can come and shoot trap. I can shoot skeet and sporting clays. I can shoot my pistol. There’s not a lot of places that have everything. The facility itself is the hard part. Getting the word out, that’s the challenge. If we do that, as long as the overall economy continues to improve, we’re going to be successful.”

COMPLETE ARTICLE

http://thesouthern.com/sports/outdo...cle_03b1ef0c-2579-565a-b87a-07bdf68328d4.html

·
Registered
14,541 Posts
A horribly underutilized facility, even from purely a clay target standpoint.

There hasn't been a major NSSA shoot held there since the late 2000s (2007 or 2008 would be my guess), and I don't believe any major NSCA shoots are or have been held there either.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
I thought they were going to host RV shows? I would think it would be a great place for a National Jamboree for Boy Scouts.

·
Registered
21,599 Posts
There are a lot of non shooting events that go on at the WSRC throughout the year. As for as the shooting goes, I could not agree with Ian more. They are searching for a director with experience in the shooting sports to change all that. I would have thought that criteria would have been a no brainier all along.

·
Registered
751 Posts
There was meeting held at the WSRC on Friday, April 10, 2015. It involved members of different shooting sports and was supposed to be attended by Governor Rauner. However, he was unable to attend because of his dealing with the deadly tornado situation in Rochelle, Illinois. There is a positive vibe from the outcome of the meeting and the general attitude was that they want more usage out of the facility.
The new superintendent of the WSRC facility was introduced, Chris Hespin and his assistant Dennis Sneed.

·
Banned
818 Posts
"The sprawling 1,600-acre facility was completed in 2006 at a cost of $31.5 million. The WSRC is home to The Grand American, the largest trap shooting event in the world."

The state of Illinois was grossly mislead by being given inflated numbers of attendees of 100,000 plus ... The State also claimed it was going to cost 50 million to build, which seemed a little far out when it was broadcast ... I have not been to the facility but have been told it truly is second to none so I put it on my bucket list, not to shoot just to check it out ... I plan on trying to meet grntitan, someone told me he is running for Mayor of Sparta and I want to wish him well ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Its really too bad the Illinois state shoot is not held at Sparta,just a shame.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
31.5 Mill makes Wisconsin look like a bargin. LOL

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
I really doubt the IL state shoot will leave it's home now. I hear Lauren Mueller might be running the grounds when she gets out of college.

·
Registered
21,599 Posts
With the WSRC in my backyard, I'll admit I once wished the State shoot was held there as well. After shooting at the Brittany Shooting Park and getting to know a little bit of its history along with its fine folks, I now believe it would be wrong to take that shoot away from such fine folks and their facility. I like shooting both places and believe they both have their place in the sport.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Larry and his wife were very kind to me when I first started. While Larry has had some bad luck with the weather, he does his best to put on a great shoot. The whole family goes the extra mile to make the State Shoot the best possible. THANKS Larry and family............merlyn

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Get the NRA LE division to move their PPC championships there and run an Action Pistol Civilian 1500 concurrently. I'd be there...

·
2,770 Posts
I'm grateful to the OP for posting this. It made fools, IMO, out of Family Guy (McPeek) and Flyers on the "other" site. Flyers, especially, following McPeeks pointed comment about IDNR abandoning Sparta (based on his interpretation of the ATA Minutes) since he made up a complete conversation with IDNR folks about the dismissal of the employee and getting out of the Sparta Complex, making all the participants in the imaginary conversation and the ATA look pretty stupid and hapless.

After McPeek's post, one Ohio guy thought the Grand would now return to Ohio and, after Flyers thoughtful post, a Wisconsin guy thought it would drift north to Wisconsin (must be some good stuff they're serving over there-perhaps Admin could get some of that stuff for us here-just take a hit and all reality would vanish).

Then some first time poster, cited the article showing they were soooooo wrong and the laughter stopped. Of course, "something" happened to his link and you can't actually read it on McPeek's site, but the link still allows anyone interested to plug it in and then read it off of Joe's site..

Yeah, Joe, you and Flyers-wrong again! Who'd a thunk it?:dumpost:

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
These two threads (from AT.com and TS.com) are the perfect example of the differences of the the two sites. If you don't believe me, go over there and read the "Top Ten" or so (there's very little reason to join).

Maybe they'll change their title to "The Obama Corner"?

Bob Falfa

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
I'm not Bob but maybe it's the misinformation. The jumping on tidbits of info and making gloom and doom forecasts or comments about the ATA or Sparta. What does the negativity help? Editing of posts? Banning or threatening posters who dare challenge site favorites? Make your big supporters Moderators. They have almost as many moderators as they do posters. They are quite the opposite of what they bragged they were when they started.

They have taken several shots at me and I'm not even a poster there. Brad even blamed me for some problem that was caused by something I wrote, what and where I don't know. I do have friends who read and post there that keep me informed and then I might go there and read it, mostly BS. I am surprised by some of the bitterness expressed by posters that I thought I knew.

Don

1 - 17 of 17 Posts