Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 2014 I am planning on attending a shooting clinic. As I preview the agenda/course-content of different clinics I would like to get some feedback from others (who have attended them) as to what did you like? did not like? find helpful? find to be not value added? etc.

*note: please do _not_ put shooting instructor's names in your reply as some of these instructors review this forum and I do not want any feeling offended or having hurt feelings.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I attend a few out here for skeet.

I find them to be helpful and always a good value. The group clinics let you watch and learn from other shooters at the same time. The only downside is it there is a struggling shooter, you may find yourself shooting with little feedback as the instructors spend more time with the other shooter.

The main reason I go to the clinics is to break or catch any bad habits I may have picked up. Otherwise it's always good to have feedback.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I attended a course give by well known shooter.The one thing I didnt like was he wanted everyone to use his style of shooting.Thats all very good,but not all shooters are built a like,and what works for one might not work for another.You have to take some from colum A and some from B and make it your own.I would go with a teacher that stressed the mental part of the game. If you can hit one target why cant you hit them all.Just saying. Good luck in your quest..

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
11,718 Posts
I attended one where the instructor video taped the shooters on the line. Then we went into the club house and reviewed the video to see if we could find any problems. He want back and forth with the controls. This was very effective instruction as it was hard to see shooters coming off their stocks, but some did and they missed the target.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Go with an open mind, Record all your gun setup positions, Try everything in front of them so they can visually see it. stay away from descriptions by word of mouth.
There is only one true instructor there, forget all the trash talking about this guy said this etc. etc. it just wastes time.
get them on the coarse for as much time as possible. A brief description of what your having trouble with or what your working on at the firing line works best. Show it if possible.
All three instructors I worked with had different technics for target acquirement. and all of them work well with their method of shooting
If you don't like the alfa male personality be cautious and do your home work, Myway is a proven way and I am the example should carry a lot of weight in your decision. if you are afraid to make a change and try my way why did you come to my class
Decide before you go, am I working on something or am I looking for an overhaul
Put all your data into place and record it for reference. and I mean as much as you can. shell type, speed, choke, how I stand , where I look etc,. what I am saying is when you get there have your info together. you will get more out of the class if you are well prepared
I have a friend who went to a 2 day clinic, all he talked about was what a prick the instructor was and how much he was stuck on him self
My buddy Jim shot the next 3 best scores of his life 25, 25, 25,and then a 22 he stated after the event he knew going into the last round he was shooting over his head. in my opinion he missed the part of the class about self confidence. OR DID HE

·
Registered
276 Posts
i have been to many- one trap and many skeet. Go with an open mind. I have seen it too many times when the instructor tries to get Joe to stand this way and he fights him and then goes right back to his old ways. Understand that changes will take time and your scores will go down at first but trust in the instructor.

·
Registered
276 Posts
one other thing- if you can go with your shooting buddies instead of just random folks then they can help recall information you learned but forgot plus you will have a cheering section while you are fighting through the changes.

·
Premium Member
11,758 Posts
Take notes. Just like you did in school.

Or for some, like you were supposed to do.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Was never all that interested in what I liked or did not like but more what worked or didn't work. And I don't necessarily mean what worked right away. As already said, change will usually set you back at first and this should be expected. What improves my shooting when I make an honest attempt to apply it over the long run is what any clinic is all about to me. It's not what I like or don't like, IT'S RESULTS THAT COUNT......BUD

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I have been to numerous clinics. The best ones are (in no particular order)
1) Small number of students - no more that 10. 2) Instructor that pays particular attention to your gun fit and alterations needed (some can be made immediately) 3)Attention to detail - doing everything the same - step by step approach to shoot or a routine 4) Shoot lots of targets.

With that being said, you are going to a Pro for advice - so take it, try it and learn. Everything he/she suggests may not all work but most of it will. AND, importantly, take more lessons from the same instructor if you "click" as they will get to know you and will help refine you game each time. A one-time clinic is not enough IMO.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have attended four shooting clinics conducted by well know top shooters in the sport. Being a top shooter does not mean they will be a good instructor. Out of the 4 clinics I would only rate one as a first class instructor. I came away from his clinic impressed with his ability to communicate the fundamentals and his analysis of the shooter. I think the smaller the group ( 3-4 ) the better, larger groups means less one on one. I would rather spend more and be with a small group. Shoot at least a flat of shells depending on the length of the clinic. Take the clinic with shooting buddies. Take good notes.

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
I took a clinic from Britt Robinson. I have no complaints about his clinic whatsoever. He worked on my strengths and corrected my weaknesses. He did not try to turn us into copies of himself. That would be impossible. You'd have to have seen Britt shoot or shot with him (I've done both) to appreciate what I'm saying. By the end of the second day I had shot over 800 targets and Britt told us he'd work with us until dark if we wanted more. Superb teacher and great man.

Ron Burr

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I've been to two, find one that will help you improve the way you shoot, not one that says you have to shoot the way I shoot.
The best of the two did the video thing, lots of one on one help, stance, aim point, gun fit and hold, nice instruction on doubles also. She really helped improve my scores in all three events.
The other was good, but instructor spent most of his time sitting and just telling you what you could change, got a few good tips from him too.
I felt it was a good learning experience and would encourage anyone who wants to improve their game to attend one.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I've been to four by three different instructors. My only complaint is one three day clinic was told I had to take the tape off my lens. I told them several times that I couldn't shoot without the tape. I struggled that way through the first two days.

The start of the third was told maybe I was right and to put the tape back on. In my opinion the first two days were a big waste of my time, money, and shells.

Bud

·
Registered
1,648 Posts

I have been to four trap shooting clinics taught by All-Americans.

All four were very helpful.

All four paid attention to the individual shooter's needs and provided personal guidance.

I do not recommend going to one during a once-in-a-century blizzard, hurricane, or storm of biblical proportions.

I will be attending more clinics as well as getting private lessons.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
My girlfriend and I took a two day clinic from a well known shooter/instructor who worked with off eye shooters. My girlfriend was dealing with a cross firing problem and I a world class flinch. We also wanted conformation our basics were sound and if not what needed to be changed to improve our shooting.

The clinic host had produced a video which we owned and thought was a valuable learning tool giving us useful information, but we wanted feedback on specific instruction presented in the video and was the cause for attending the clinic.

The clinic was comprised of ten shooters of varying capabilities from novice through AAA/27. The top flight shooters were looking how to capture that one elusive target while others were looking for any improvements.

The instructor used a video camera as a learning tool filming each participant and returning to a classroom setting for review and instruction based on what the film showed and what the instructor observed. Gun fit, poi, gun holds were all topics on a one on one basis with each student.

At no time did the instructor suggest his shooting method was the only way, he did stress that a repeatable foundation was the basis of solid shooting while stressing we're all different where and how we see and move to the target. He would give suggestions on trying something different anywhere from foot poistion to gun holds.

The outcome of this two day clinic was everyone showed improvements and seemed to have a great time in the process.

Would we attend another clinic by the same person? you bet, it was well worth the time and money.

Surfer

·
Registered
272 Posts
Great thread. Kudos for starting it.

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
I took one and also hosted one at our club and watched two groups go through and I made this observation.

I dont care who teaches it if YOU do not go into it and at least ATTEMPT to try and follow the advice of the teacher they ARE a waste. Out of the first 10 people that attended the one I did 2 acted like they listened but would NOT execute what they were told. (STUBBURN and set in ways) The second one we hosted out of 10 people 3 had same attitude.

So its not about how many targets you can hit or how embarrasing you think you may look its about TRYING the new methods and having a open mind.

You may not agree with the method they are teaching and each teacher has a different method. BUT, if you can take just one or two things from each teacher and it is a success for you than the clinic was a success.

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
I took one clinic with the late Frank Little. He said I was a natural and didn't need him for instructions. If he were alive today he might change his opinion.

Frank tried to teach students his way of shooting but many were unable to grasp the concept. He later admitted that one after conducting many more clinics and revised his system-especially trying to make two eyed shooters out of one eyed and not fully recognizing cross-dominance issues!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts