Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,
new to this forum.

i was told that when shooting bunker, you want a light gun, modified choke and flat (50/50) shooting gun instead of typical trap guns which are usually heavy and shoots high?

thanks.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Sounds correct. In Bunker you are shooting a target that is harder and faster with twice the angles of ATA trap, While ATA targets come out at a fixed height in Bunker they can be as low as 1.5m (5 ft.) to a high of 3.3m (11 ft.) at 10 meters (11 yards) from the front of the bunker. With a high POI it would be hard to hit the low clays.

A light gun swings faster thus allowing you to get to the targets much faster. Keep in mind that Bunker is shot with 24 gram loads so the extra weight of the gun isn't needed to absorb recoil.

Just to give you an idea, in ATA trap almost every throw would be a "straight/center" throw in Bunker if it were 20+ MPH faster. Now imagine what a left or right would be like. The lighter gun allows you to get on the target much faster.

Choice of choke will be dependent on the shooter but the second shot is almost always going to want a full choke because the target is going to be roughly 55 yards out by the time you get the shot off.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Yes/No. It's a feel/swing thing. Your barrel is swinging and you keep it moving through the target. Depending on the swing speed you might be on the target, at the leading/top edge or just past it. There are a number of ways to lead a target and numerous youtube videos. Here is one:

That video is showing lead on a skeet field and the lead is "side lead" so to speak. You can do the same thing with the barrel going vertical. Remember in Bunker you get two shots at the clay. Watch the end of this video to get an idea of the swing

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Not necessarily light gun, but a lively, well balances one.
30" mod/full is good place to start.
50/50 to 60/40 is spot on.
1300 or faster 24gm or 7/8 oz.
Low gun, soft gaze over the bunker.
Have fun!

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
I haven't shot Bunker in years But, back when I did, most shot IMP.MOD for the first bird and Full for the second and almost all guns I saw used was 60/40.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A sporting clays gun will work. Top shooters use very high ribs and combs but the guns shoot "flat". Focus hard on the target and just shoot it. Like Yogi said, "How can you think and hit at the same time?" Ruth answered, "I don't know", when asked how he hit home runs.

·
Registered
222 Posts
shoot them out of the house. Looking at the grass in front of the bunker shows how torn up it is. Pull- bang-bang.

Always shoot two shot. Bang-bang. If you wait for the target to go, its gone and crazy angles.

Shoot out of the house.

·
Registered
132 Posts
"Shoot out of the house" Interesting concept but not one I would ever suggest. Bunker targets are ballistic so you would need lightning reflexes to do it and I've never seen it done.

A more considered approach would be wait until you see a whole target, not the blur, and don't move your gun until you have 'seen' the whole target. Never take your eyes off the target. Swing the gun to the target and let your subconscious decide when to pull the trigger. Bunker is an instinctive discipline which requires no real conscious thought other than watching the target. If you try to measure lead or consciously see the barrels in relation to the target you will likely miss.

As for gun, 8.5 to 9lbs is ideal, 30 inch barrels (ideally an O/U) and 60/40 pattern. Stock length is typically shorter than other disciplines as you want to be 'in' the gun. The most important thing is gun fit as the gun must shoot where you look.

When everything is working properly there is no better feeling than shooting bunker well. You can't really explain it, it just happens.

DT

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Are you looking to buy a gun for this specific sport ? A K-80 sporting is a good choice but if you already have a gun go try it out on the bunker and see for yourself

·
Registered
69 Posts
As for a bunker gun, most are set with IM on the bottom and full on the top, most are set for about a 60/40 maybe a 70/30 hit point. AS for gun weight, its all personal, Look at the guns being shot, Kgun (not lite) to MX8 (lite). Its an instinctive style of shooting. Your hold point is on the top of the bunker and you set your eyes about 10 meters out from there. If you try to look at the bunker, you see the flash and takes too much time to require the bird to get a good read on it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I shot bunker for many years. 32" barrels, mod/full, most of the best shooters shot the same. There is no advantage to a light gun.

·
Banned
848 Posts
I shot bunker for many years. 32" barrels, mod/full, most of the best shooters shot the same. There is no advantage to a light gun.
I don't think it's about weight, I think, it's about balance. If you have a barrel-heavy gun, it's hard to move them... I would prefer balance set more towards the stock to make barrels livelier. K-80 sporter is great, especially since you can add weights right into their stock with Krieghoff K-80 Buttstock Weight System.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I don't often shoot Bunker these days, my Bunker gun is an MX8 31 1/2 inch barrel with a Mirage rib. It has Briley thin wall chokes so I can make changes to the lower barrel if I desire on any day depending on the conditions and what make of shell I am shooting. I normally will shoot Mod/Full, but with some shells I will shoot IM and Full.
I am getting a bit older now so if I was competing more I would go for a 29 1/2 or 30 inch barreled gun as they tend to be a little quicker and I need any bit of help I can get.
Devonian.

·
Registered
10,304 Posts
For most folks, a lighter, livelier gun helps on Bunker. I have a 32" Silver Pigeon 1 that seems ideal for it. I had good results with my 32" Blaser as well once some of the weights were removed.

Perazzi suggests 28 points for the first barrel, 40 points for the second. I used LF/XF until I went to the featherweight Briley Plasma chokes, now IM/F. Age, eyesight, and illness have reduced my scores.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
hello,
new to this forum.

i was told that when shooting bunker, you want a light gun, modified choke and flat (50/50) shooting gun instead of typical trap guns which are usually heavy and shoots high?

thanks.
When I shot Bunker for a few years, I used a Beretta 682 Bunker gun. It shot 50/50 on both barrels, and the barrels were 29.5" long. Standard from there factory at the time.

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
As said above a low rib, 50/50 -> 60/40 gun is what is generally used. that does NOT mean that is what will necessarily work best for you. Try whatever and use what proves itself to you.

I mean, there are people even using Krieghoffs so you have to know that there are some strange kinds of preferences out there.

·
Registered
56 Posts
As said above a low rib, 50/50 -> 60/40 gun is what is generally used. that does NOT mean that is what will necessarily work best for you. Try whatever and use what proves itself to you.

I mean, there are people even using Krieghoffs so you have to know that there are some strange kinds of preferences out there.
Even shooting Krieghoffs? Ken Jones, 1966 world record, Tom Garrigus silver medal 1968, Don Haldeman gold medal 1976 all shot Krieghoffs so I guess you are correct.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I shoot bunker all the time with my Browning Gold, 28" barrel. Simmons removed the original 6mm rib and replaced it with a 10mm parallel rib. LM is my preferred choke. So far my best is 23. That said, I have a K-80/RT project in the works, lots of customizations, with a "bunker gun" as one of its configurations. After some work, I now have both a 30" and 32" set of barrels both with 10mm parallel ribs each weighing under 1.56KG. Have not yet shot it... Step by step.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts