Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am a 16 yard shooter and was asked to shoot a few 27 yard Sat. Held lower and dropped a few from 3 getting an handle on the less gun movement and lower hold. shot a 16 and a 17. I may have an understanding on the hold,still trying to process the less gun movement smoothly, but the angles..

We are all different, should I do my "usual" when shooting the harder angles from 1 and 5 or ?

Thank you

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Sounds like you did OK for your first time. Holding a lower gun is a good idea.

Probable try a few more rounds from the 27 before making too many changes.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Hold the same gun point at the fence as you would at the 16 yd. line..If your a one eyed shooter never hold higher than the top of the trap house..
Don't be afraid to be too much in front of the target, if your behind by an inch you will hear that awful word....LOST...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Your move has to be with the flight of the target mire so than the 16 as you have more gun movement

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
Shoot far enough in front of the target so it runs thru the shot string and preferably before it starts to drop.
Targets do not "run through the shot string". A target only moves a couple of inches even on the hard angles during the time it take the shot string to pass by it. A target hitting the shot string is about as likely as a person walking into the side of a car going past at 100 MPH.

·
Registered
60 Posts
hold the same maybe a spec lower on the 27 vs the 16 and this is gonna sound dumb to most im sure but train yourself to shoot fast from back there a normal 1200 fps shell will reach out and touch a lot of birds but to truly crush birds from back there the faster you shoot the better i think you will be for me thats harder with the long barrel guns im shooting a M12 and swings fast and its hard once you shoot a 27 to get yourself to slow back down for the 16s me and the team i shoot with laugh all the time we always say you cant break a 50 (for out local leagues) if you dont break your 16s the handicaps come easier then the 16s do for us because were all fast shooters we outrun our fair share of 16yd birds but every shooter is 100% different find something that works for you and stick to it and practice practice practice

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Remember that any fundamental error at the 16 will be exaggerated with distance.

You MUST see the bird then move. Subconsciously your brain will attempt to get a jump on the bird due to you telling yourself it's further.

The bird will not outrun you.

Focus point and hold point will change with difference in lighting.

Take out 5 shells at a time and focus on making those five shots. Make cognatant note of each gun mount.

Remember see the target then move.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Remember that any fundamental error at the 16 will be exaggerated with distance.

You MUST see the bird then move. Subconsciously your brain will attempt to get a jump on the bird due to you telling yourself it's further.

Take out 5 shells at a time and focus on making those five shots. Make cognatant note of each gun mount.

Remember see then target then move.
+1 Brady has it right.

John

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Well now----IF--- that fence held real still and I got to shoot all 5 of those shells from say 25 feet I "might" hit it once. At least that has been my experience recently. Ross Puls

·
Registered
205 Posts
I mount my gun a little slower than usual to convince my tough shell of a brain to make a smooth move to the target. One move, one chance.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Good advice given in this thread: See the target, then shoot the target.

Altering hold points significantly is a mistake. Minimizing the movement to the target is important. Starting with a low hold will result in a larger gun movement, many times swinging past the target before the shot is made. A visual lock on the target - all the way through the break - is important. Anything that interferes with seeing the target clearly is bad.

Shooting handicap is fun! Start by learning to make one good shot. After shooting handicap well for a hundred years or so, advance your game by learning to make one good shot (no difference, just better execution). Good luck.

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
The most important thing is to stop thinking!!! Just shoot targets the way you have in the past. Just try to keep it slow. If you have any doubt you have already lost the target. Now if you are unsure about leads just add 50% to them. Keep it simple, slow down and stay positive, and you'll be fine. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
4,272 Posts

Remember see the target then move.
+1 Brady has it right.

John
Does Brady even shoot anymore? :)
I haven't seen him in a coons age.
Rick in MT

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good luck don't get to frustrated jumping back so fast. understanding the concepts farther back is one thing but being able to be consistent with each shot will take lots of practice

1 - 19 of 19 Posts