Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started shooting ATA shoots last year. I usually shoot all events 16, handicap, and doubles. I’m not competitive at doubles, but I figure it is good practice since we don’t shoot them every week at the local club. I noticed that a lot of people don’t shoot doubles or handicap for that matter. Is there a reason that a lot of people don’t participate in other events besides 16y?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Time, money, and stamina are big ones around here. For some 200 singles on a hot summer day is more then their body can handle. For me Sometimes I only have time for singles or even the first 100 in a 200 target event so I can get home for other family commitments. I know many that only shoot 200 singles per year.

·
Thorn in your side
8,115 Posts
When I first started 7 years ago, I only shot 16's and targets only to establish an average. After a while of doing that I started shooting caps, but no doubles. Eventually I jumped in and started shooting dubs also. Then I would shoot every target thrown at every shoot I attended. Did that for quite a while. Now I am a little more selective depending on the weather, or how I am feeling that day. I don't like extreme heat so if it is going to be really hot, I might shoot the 16's in the morning, then skip the caps and finish with the doubles, or maybe just the 16's and call it a day and drink beer and watch my friends shoot.

It is all a matter of personal preference and as mj said, stamina. many of the older guys I shoot with don't like, or just plain can't do 300 a day and I get that and am pretty much there myself, although I am not all that old. I feel I do better if I limit myself to 200 a day.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
200 targets is a good days shoot for me, usually it's 100 16's then choose between another 100 handicap or 50 pair of doubles.
This is do to age mostly, at most of our shoots 300 birds is an all-day event, with shoot-offs (which I don't do anymore either) going into the early evening. When you're tired, hot, or sore, shooting no longer is enjoyable.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Last year, Ma. State Shoot did 100 singles, 100 caps and 200 doubles on Thursday. The second 100 doubles started right after the first 100 was done. Long day but fun! But BT99, to answer your question, as others said time, $$, and stamina. When I first started registered trap, it didn't take it long for me to realize I couldn't afford the sport, but came back when I was ready to retire and could afford a fun time!

·
Registered
971 Posts
I shoot with my three sons and this year my 11 year old will be joining us. Footing the bill for all 5 of us means singles only! However, on Father's day I get to shoot all 300 and really enjoy it.

Reactions: grizquad

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
I enjoy it more when I shoot only one early event and then move on to something fun for the rest of the day.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Shooting an one or two day tournament is fun to do 300+ targets each day. Shooting in a week long tournament such as the Grand America or a satellite Grand, I find myself grinding down during the week and my scores start dropping going into the championship weekend events. I shoot the events that only count towards the High Over All (HOA) trophy. There're guys and gals that don't care about the HOA and just shoot the money only events which are usually the third event on each day. Bottom line - shoot for fun, if it feels like work then you're doing something wrong.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Back in the day when I was much younger I would shoot the 500 bird singles marathons at the Walla Walla, WA gun club. The last two I attended won my class. That was fun but exhausting and I would pass on the 100/100/50 the next day. Getting back in shooting after a 20 plus year hiatus, I'll probably stick to singles and a handicap here and there. Shoot what you want to keep it fun and competitive.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
8,023 Posts
Depends...

Work schedule, home life, mood, weather, shooting buddies and my financial situations all play a role in how much I shoot.

Typically during a big shoot I’ll be selective but will shoot all championship events. This year I’m planning on shooting more. 100% of my vacation is already scheduled around zone and state with a couple others just for fun.

I’m also budgeting for a reliable compact suv to haul myself around and provide a place to crash between events.

Carpooling can help save on travel expenses but it also ties you up if you’re on different squads due to yardages. I love shooting and hanging out with friends but when there’s twenty squads separating us it can make for a long, drawn out day. Few things suck as much as knowing you’d already be home, showered and drinking beer but your ride is still waiting for his turn.

Plus, peace is priceless.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I only like to shoot 2 events a day anymore I rarely shoot 16s in ATA as I'm not competitive enough to win. I like handicap and doubles it is more fun to me! It is costing more to shoot these days so most people have to choose what they want to shoot

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Like many have said it is just personal preference.
Have found out a long time if you really don’t have the desire to shoot a particular day or event your scores will probably suffer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My dad stopped shooting doubles for about 5 years due to a trigger flinch. About the time I stated shooting more registered and wanted to learn doubles was about the same time he switched to a release. It wasn’t long after I started learning doubles before he bought a set of O/U barrels for his Perazzi and we’ve both had the bug ever since.

I imagine there are a fair number of folks who skip doubles for similar reasons, be it a flinching issue or simply not having someone to teach them properly. It’s a bummer missing out on that much extra shooting as far as I’m concerned but completely understandable.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just started shooting ATA shoots last year. I usually shoot all events 16, handicap, and doubles. I’m not competitive at doubles, but I figure it is good practice since we don’t shoot them every week at the local club. I noticed that a lot of people don’t shoot doubles or handicap for that matter. Is there a reason that a lot of people don’t participate in other events besides 16y?
Your observation is correct in that many folks don't shoot events other than singles. While other responders are correct in that time & money play a factor... from what I have seen a lot of shooters have a hard time mentally accepting a low score. Ergo, they dont shoot handicap and doubles to avoid taking a hit to their ego.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
8,023 Posts
Your observation is correct in that many folks don't shoot events other than singles. While other responders are correct in that time & money play a factor... from what I have seen a lot of shooters have a hard time mentally accepting a low score. Ergo, they dont shoot handicap and doubles to avoid taking a hit to their ego.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts