Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son upgraded to an XT, how long/how many shoots would you expect before he is comfortable with the new gun. I know that is a very opened ended question. Just curious for your thoughts. Thanks

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Try patterning the old gun on paper and then set up the new gun to shoot the same place. That might help shorten the transition. Usually, most people talk about a 5,000 target transition. Bill Malcolm

·
Registered
637 Posts
Every time I have started over with a new gun it has been at least 5000 rounds. You have to have a lot of patience when you start over. Can be very frustrating. Hang in there and good luck.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
Does the gun fit him? Is it user friendly? Does it have a good trigger? Is the POI in the right place for his style of shooting? These are some of the factors that have to be answered in order to answer your question. HMB

·
Registered
276 Posts
for sure it will take 3-4 outings for no other reason that it is in his head that it is a new gun. Once he stops thinking about the new gun and the new feel it will likely come together....if....the gun fits him correctly.

Make sure you go to the patterning board to see where it is shooting....you never know.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
My son went from an 1100 Classic Trap to a Winchester 101 and it only took about 200 targets and he was right where he was with the Remington. 97% on singles. 95% on handicaps.

5,000 seems like an awful lot of targets to me.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I would think it would depend a little on what he was shooting before. Are the guns similar? Check the POI on each, the weight on each, and the fit on each. I agree that 5000 seems like an awful lot. Martinpicker

·
Registered
968 Posts
I agree, The best thing to do is to pattern the gun and make it shoot the same place his old one did. That's what I always do. I kept my old pattern sheet so I can set up any new gun to be a the same POI. I usually can get into a new gun with 200-300 rounds. However with that being said the more you shoot it the more comfortable you will be.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies. We have pattern it and have it set up to the POI is the same. He is comfortable with the guns. This is the first time he has changed guns, to be honest I think I am more nervous about it then he is...... Thanks again

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
I think the rule of thumb is 5,000 rounds as others stated. I have a new JE Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon III that I'm taking down to Silver Dollar in a month and as of now it has been fitted and patterned but only about 300 rounds and no rounds through the O/U. I fully expect to shoot scores that will be one class below my actual class. Not to mention the O/U being hard to open/close which burns up energy. But I'll enjoy it just the same.

blade819

·
Registered
823 Posts
That number, 5000, was used by Frank Little - and others - mainly as a way of telling someone not to give up too early.

Most people change guns too much.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Blade,

I think if you expect to shoot scores below your actual class, you will.

It sounds like you have already decided how you will shoot before you even get there.

Think positive, man.

I would change my thought process to " I have a new gun and I expect to shoot better scores than I did with the old one."

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been forced to shoot many different guns and usually it will take about a 1000 targets however if the gun does not fit well it could be much longer.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
If it takes 5000 targets to get used to a gun ... it doesn't fit and has a different POI!

200 targets max ... for a properly fitting gun ... otherwise get rid of it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts