Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
12,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been in the game over half a century and have met some awesome folks . I remember one time when I was just a kid in the Air Force and Lloyd Woodhouse took time to coach me, and introduced me to the clay target games . When I returned to Chanute AFB a few years later I was a struggling Buck Sgt. with a new wife and broke a lot . Lloyd Gave me a keg of Red Dot so my wife and I could keep shooting. Morrie Steinbring who was living in ILL. back then, gave us a case of free shells once when times were hard . Chuck and Gerogie McCown who ran McCown Gun Club were very good to my wife and I when we stated out. Back in the seventies I was just starting out and Dean Debow gave me a lot of help. Dean was a big dog in the game then ,and didn't know me from Adam but ,took some time to help me. Then there was Rudy Etchen. He took a lot of time coaching me as well as my wife . Rudy was a super champion and held a wealth of information but ,as far as I know, he never took a dime from anybody that asked him to help them. There were guys like Scott Hanes that rebuilt my old 1100 for free of charge once . Then there was the family who took my wife and I in to stay with them during the AL state shoot at Muscle Shoals back in the early 70s when our old Chevy broke down there.( sadly I have forgotten their names) ! There was the time at the Grand when pheasant master and his wife probably saved my bacon. I was staying in a tent but ,there was a very violent storm brewing and they insisted that I stay the night with them in their camper. The trailer rocked from the wind all night and the next morning revealed a lot of destruction . I would have probably been blown into the next county had I still been in that tent !! Recently a shooting buddy of mine and I got to meet mg1polo and his lovely and charming wife and share a meal with them when they traveled to FL. Mark was kind enough to share some primers with us at his cost that he brought down from MI. A very kind gesture in deed . I must say he is a great guy as colorful in person as he is on line ! If there is one thing I have learned along the way , it is that the OVERWHELMING number of Shooters are very GOOD , KIND and GENEROUS people ! I dare say more so than in just about any sport ! I am very thankful I have gotten to meet some of them and honored to call them friends ! :)

· Registered
150 Posts
We have developed our “shooting family” over the years and this group of people are absolutely the best our country has to offer! They have been great influence on my kids growing up, sharing stories, experiences and just being great people. Looking forward to many more years at the range.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.