Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out the unclaimed money and trophy lists on the ATA website. Names listed are not just new shooters who didn't know where/how to collect. Shooters need to be responsible about taking care of business after the shoot, this is an unnecessary chore for the ATA, who chould be using their time/employees for better things.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Hi Karla,
Couldn't the ATA just send a check for the unclaimed funds like most gun clubs do? The trophies are probably not that important to those shooters.
See you in Florida.

Ron Burdick

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't make the rules and no one from the ATA asked for my opinion on policies. New trophy policy allows for shooters to pay for shipping of Grand trophies. I guess if the money goes unclaimed long enough it stays with the ATA?
I was just trying to "nudge" shooters to clean up the books.
Not sure how long I'll be in Florida this winter, the house I have been renting is not available this year so I may just come for the big shoot weeks and do other things elsewhere this winter.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Those are checks that we have written but haven't been cashed. If a shooter calls in and says they lost their check (which is probably the case on these) we verify and issue them a new check. Even going back to the 2013 Grand. Not many (if any) gun clubs would go to the trouble of posting a list like this and then issuing a replacement check in these cases.
( Quote from the A.T.A Office )

Terry Dean

·
Registered
356 Posts
I don't make the rules and no one from the ATA asked for my opinion on policies. New trophy policy allows for shooters to pay for shipping of Grand trophies. I guess if the money goes unclaimed long enough it stays with the ATA?
I was just trying to "nudge" shooters to clean up the books.
Not sure how long I'll be in Florida this winter, the house I have been renting is not available this year so I may just come for the big shoot weeks and do other things elsewhere this winter.
I've been retired for almost 20 years so things may have changed but it used to be that unclaimed property was governed by "escheat" laws which varied by each state. However, most required the property to be turned over to the state treasury after a certain number of years have passed.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
OMG. I looked on the website and found my name. Thanks I'll contact ATA and get my check. Probably 10 bucks.
Karla thanks for the heads up!
John

·
Registered
7,357 Posts
George did I miss something? What was said that was bad? Was a post removed? How do you quote a post without "quoting the language"? Please excuse my ignorance in not understanding your meaning of language.

Escheat laws are a fact of life. I thought OTB was just pointing out that the ATA wasn't going to keep the money, heading off complaining about the ATA by the anti's.

Don

·
Registered
30,399 Posts
Unclaimed Property Laws - Escheat Laws

State audit of charity's and businesses books and where they have unclaimed property laws, they require uncashed vendor checks and payroll checks after a time period be voided and rewritten to the State. Then they post a legal notice of unclaimed property, listing the name of the person or business and the amount of money they are due. If after a certain period that money is still unclaimed, the State keeps the money. This applies to winnings, gift cards, certificates, royalty checks, anything of value awarded or made as payment to a person or business, but different articles of value have different time periods of effect. A payroll check must be cashed in one year, vendor checks are 5 years. We have it here in Colorado and it was a real pain in the neck for my wife because of these audits where she worked. In this State is it an annual reporting requirement.

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
I must have missed it as well. But I'm pretty sure it was removed before I opened the thread.

Thanks Karla for the info. You helped at least one shooter out there. Maybe more!!! Some of us really enjoy your stories, so keep-em coming, and be well. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Leo never failed to pick up or cash a pay off check but one year he forgot to submit his application for the All American team. He picked up the forms during the Grand at Vandalia and stuffed them into the glove box of his van.
By the time he remembered to send it in, it was past the deadline. He wasn't listed on the team.
That was the only year he wasn't an official All American from age 14 until his shooting ended at age 56.

·
Registered
356 Posts
George did I miss something? What was said that was bad? Was a post removed? How do you quote a post without "quoting the language"? Please excuse my ignorance in not understanding your meaning of language.

Escheat laws are a fact of life. I thought OTB was just pointing out that the ATA wasn't going to keep the money, heading off complaining about the ATA by the anti's.

Don
If I said anything that is unacceptable, I truly apologize. I was only trying to point out that unfortunately the ATA may not be able to keep the money over the long term. I surely was not trying to be disrespectful to Karla in any way ... just trying to help. I have fond memories of shooting with Leo that I will never forget.

If I did anything wrong, please let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Wasn't you, Roger. Another guy used language that's sehr verboten. He was banned.

·
Administrator
8,516 Posts
Old Trap Bum no worries, like Lit. posted there was a language issue the was very out of line esp. on this thread. Karla's experience and background is truly unique and when she takes the time to start a thread and put out information it is nice to have it out there uninterrupted.

·
Banned
207 Posts
Evidently you are allowed to refer to someone as being mentally handicap but you cannot defend yourself using vulgarity on this forum.
Sounds like Hillary would be right at home here. Enjoy the election and Hillary as president.

This place is much more liberal than I thought.

·
Premium Member
11,093 Posts
^^ Evidently you weren't banned for long enough; you learned nothing.

Reactions: Gussers
1 - 20 of 25 Posts