Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the small club I shoot at we have two one day shoots a year. They usually just give cash for 1st place ect. I have been trying to talk them in giving away shamrock shell holders that have a Eskimo and the class the person one. The shot is called the Eskimo shoot, because it early in the year and it has snowed before. It is about the same money and I feel people like stuff like that better. I have won a few shoots that you basically just got your money back. I would much rather prefer some like I said up above. Even if you never use it you can put it someplace in the house and talk about it if someone asks.

·
What squad am I on?
TriStar TT-15 Combo
8,421 Posts
It's a tossup. I would think the majority would prefer cash which will likely be reinvested into the sport. I know personally, there's only one trophy that I have to win and that's a Shamrock bag. I will never buy one but I want one so bad I can taste it. Aside from that one trophy, I'd rather take the cash.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Call Shamrock leathers and find out what it would cost for them to do a small run of Eskimos on their shell pouches. Number of pouches and present that to your clubs board. It may or may not be profitable for a small shoot. I think these are great prizes anyone would love to win and show them off!

Jason in PA

·
Thorn in your side
8,112 Posts
Call Shamrock leathers and find out what it would cost for them to do a small run of Eskimos on their shell pouches. Number of pouches and present that to your clubs board. It may or may not be profitable for a small shoot. I think these are great prizes anyone would love to win and show them off!

Jason in PA
Shell pouch is no better than a trinket. If you are going to invest in a Shamrock bag as a trophy, make it worthwhile.

I agree with Wad. I want one badly but keep hoping I will win one. Not many shoots give them away anymore and it is a shame IMO

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
A friend of mine made these up for me, he uses a laser engraving so there's no die charge. If you only need a half dozen pieces or so it may be a better route.
The laser embossing is not as deep as a die, but the fine details come out better.
Wallet Everyday carry Leather Coin purse

·
Registered
89 Posts
One of the most difficult things clubs do is choose trophies. There is no way to make every one happy. Old timers that already have shell bags, iron men, belt buckles, trinkets etc. mostly like cash. New shooters want some thing tangible they can show to their family & friends. The stuff Shamrock makes is very nice, would expect least amount of complaints. Maybe your club would like an offer to help with selection & cost. Again, trophies are a very difficult proposition. Good luck.

Maddad

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
One of the most difficult things clubs do is choose trophies. There is no way to make every one happy. Old timers that already have shell bags, iron men, belt buckles, trinkets etc. mostly like cash. New shooters want some thing tangible they can show to their family & friends. The stuff Shamrock makes is very nice, would expect least amount of complaints. Maybe your club would like an offer to help with selection & cost. Again, trophies are a very difficult proposition. Good luck.
As the former “trophy committee” (of one) @maddad42 nailed it.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
BT-99 ,If people win they want it after the shoot , not 6 weeks down the road after Shamrock has the names on it. Your Idea with the Eskimo on it is great , Shell holders are nice ,but they are not cheap .You need to sort out how many trophys you need .Three clases or 4 in 16 yard ,then at least 3 in Hdcp and 2 in doubbles perhaps and then go wild :high gun and runner up on all target for the day ,but if they get that > No class or Hdcp Trophy . Idk if you have junior,Vet and Lady and a red Latern for the lowest score ? :) :) It adds up fast and what is the budget ? One places around here sells raffle tickets way , way before the shot & one can win a 2 or 3 K shotgun or a nice scoped rifle .The profit on that pays for many,many nice Trophys and Food for all shooters and Guests . So ,now you have 14 answers ,pick any or all :) :). Btw : U can not make every one happy . Happy shooting you ALL >

·
Registered
21,599 Posts
Not really. You would not please the majority because people prefer and shoot so many different shells. I wouldn't want ANYTHING but light 8's brass based, and the next guy would want handicap 7.5's.
Even worse is winning shells you can’t even use at the shoot like those stupid AA TrAAckers. Won a bunch of those at a shoot at the WSRC. Whoever picked those was not thinking.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I think this year for my SxS shoot we will be giving a nice Shamrock prize for first place SCs [ the main event ] , and then a friend came up with a nice idea. He says " I'm not good enough to win anything and it would be nice once in a while to win something ". So, we have side games, Pigeon Ring, Long Bird, and Team Challenge. Every time you enter a ticket with your name on it goes in a barrel . At the end of the day we draw a ticket. That way everyone has a chance of winning a prize. Maybe another Shamrock prize of lesser value. The more you shoot, the more chances. That also increases the money taken in. Win, win. Sound good ?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Shell pouch is no better than a trinket. If you are going to invest in a Shamrock bag as a trophy, make it worthwhile.

I agree with Wad. I want one badly but keep hoping I will win one. Not many shoots give them away anymore and it is a shame IMO
Gussers I have trinkets that I have won over the years and Shamrock shell holders are not trinkets. Not may clubs can afford to give away Shamrock bags or even shell holders. For the price of a single box holder/ pouch they would be great trophies. Btw I use my shamrocks all the time. Good luck shooting!

Jason in PA

1 - 20 of 32 Posts