Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In shoot offs where each competitor shoots the same bird from the same station,(bunker, skeet and sporting) miss and outs work fine. Trap shooters do not shoot the same birds and do not like miss and out for that reason. I personally do not have a problem with M/O for trap but I am betting that I am in the minority. The trend seems to be to make it easier.

·
Registered
230 Posts
if time is an issue, then shoot 2 per station and do your whole round, doesn't take too long, and eliminates the concern you mentioned about starting on your bad station.

d

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
I favor miss and out. To clarify the discussion, in skeet, the whole game changes for shoot-offs. Instead of shooting a regular round (like the shooter has to do to get into a shoot-off), each shooter is required to shoot pairs of doubles from stations 3, 4, and 5...miss and out. Trap prolongs the process by simply shooting regular rounds. Most trapshooters would go bananas (object loudly to put it mildly) if you required them to switch to doubles with miss and out to settle shoot-offs. I can see the "fairness" issue as noted by perazzi2, but miss and out adds to the "pucker" (pressure) factor and would certainly speed things up. It really determines who the best all-around shooter is, but it will never happen. Best Regards, Ed

·
Registered
708 Posts
and if you don't shoot doubles, wow that would be fair. most shooters, not the big dogs, most average shooters, shoot less doubles, and some none at all

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
missed some, you are absolutely right, for sure...I have tried, but do NOT shoot doubles for several reasons. I was just explaining the difference between trap and skeet shoot-offs...but leaving things as they are for trap shoot-offs, I would still favor miss and out. Regards, Ed

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Maybe it should be an option for those involved in the shoot-off.I myself would prefer a miss and out/sudden death type shootoff with the increased pucker factor.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you cant get off station 3 you dont deserve to win anyway. Station 4 is where it is at. Get to staion 4 and the men will get seperated from the boys....unless you get beat by a girl then...well, hell, now I am depressed...

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Don't forget that shooting pairs is a regular part of a round of skeet, that is why you shoot the game with an O/U.

·
Registered
516 Posts
If you trying to keep or gain members, I would shoot full rounds. I do know some skeet shooters who are very good shooters but can not shoot doubles. Two of them stopped shooting registered skeet because they would shoot a nice score and be done on the 1st double in a shoot off. Mike

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Full rounds are a better way to determine which shooter is truly superior; the state of mind of each shooter will change with each miss. It only makes sense to me to make the psychology of the event a critical element of the shoot-off.

MK

·
Registered
290 Posts
In some of the bigger skeet tournaments you will see a full round of doubles (Station 1 thru 7, then reverse flow back to Station 1) for all those tied for HOA. This is shot with the 410. High guns still tied after these 24 shots then go to M&O on Stations 3,4,5.....again with the 410.

It doesn't take long for the riff-raff to flame-out on the full round of doubles with the 410.

PS: I'm not riff-raff yet....just a wanttobe.

·
Banned
8,351 Posts
Whatever the club decides and for what ever reason is okay with me ... If its a Championship event I think it should be full rounds but for the average normal everyday event it don't matter ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
This was started about trap. Why would we care how they shoot skeet shoot offs, especially the dumb statement station 4 is where it is at.

Don

PS before you get spastic I have been in skeet shoot offs.

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
if it is miss and out and you are shooting pairs what happens if the person misses the first bird and hits the second of the pair vs. the other person misses the second target and hits the first. I guess that the first to miss is out. Yes or no. thanks motordoc

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.