Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When shooting 16yd. singles targets, does it make sense to practice with a full choke and then shoot competition with a modified or improved modified? Your thoughts..... Jerry

·
Registered
168 Posts
IMHO Just another thought\distraction while you're shooting. Doesn't hurt to try a tighter choke in practice but pick one and stick with it.

·
Administrator
8,657 Posts
If you are going to practice---practice to improve so for me I practice with the choke that I will be competing with.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've heard/seen this question asked many times, and most folks usually answer as above. For what it's worth, I tend to disagree in certain cases for for the following reasons.

When a novice is starting out and has yet to internalize the proper "sight picture" for singles at any given angle from whichever station, I've found a tighter choke to be helpful in terms of better teaching them how to best point their gun. A very tight pattern makes for a fairly binary result; the target is generally smoked or missed clean. If they shoot something more open, they may hit the target somewhat more often, but if their break is weak they receive little feedback as to whether they are in front of, behind, above or below the target (I don't assume one can read breaks other than tell if they have centered their pattern). Many kids simply think of a broken target as a broken target, not fully appreciating that how well it is broken is also important (when trying to internalize how to optimally point the gun).

Binary outcomes are good in practice to help hone one's skills. But, when it comes time for a competition, I don't see anything wrong with going back to a slightly more open choke to try to gain a target or two.

I've done this with my (now 14 y/o) son, had him practice with full and then shoot mod for competition. This has seemed to work for him, he averages close to 99 in competition (and normally chips/chunks a few) but definitely misses more in practice when shooting full. Were he to "choke for smoke" all the time I don't think his registered/competition singles average would be as good as it is.

Most seem to disagree with this, but there is a certain logic to it. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I use my full choke for both practice and competition. If i cochange chokes I would not even try, it wouldn't be the same. Just use the same chokes for practice and competition. Choke for smoke​

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
If you depend on getting more hits with a more open choke you may be disappointed. In theory this makes sense but in my experience it's more a pipe dream. I think a quality pattern matters more than the diameter at target breaking distances. Use what your comfortable with and practice exactly as you compete. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I tend to agree with Whack 'em and have my 13 year old daughter doing the same thing. We practice with a full choke and she shoots a mod for competition. To me, this makes sense for a new shooter that is still developing their skills. I think she'll develop more accuracy practicing with a tighter choke and I'm sure that opening things up for competition picks up two to three birds for her.

·
Super Moderator
5,309 Posts
Trap is a full choke game. Use a full (0.035) or extra full (0.040) choke. Always. And practice how you play.

Funny how the people with experience espouse the ideas I've indicated above, but the new shooters know better.

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
If you are shooting better scores in competition than in practice, your practice is faulty. You that are changing chokes are teaching them to rely on luck.

If you are really interested in developing shooting skills, dump a 1/4 oz of shot. Never let them think they can luck out and get free birds that you did not earn.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Trap is a full choke game. Use a full (0.035) or extra full (0.040) choke. Always. And practice how you play.

Funny how the people with experience espouse the ideas I've indicated above, but the new shooters know better.
+1

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
Well as a relatively new shooter I can say using the same chokes in practice and competition is a must. Training one way and doing something different in competition is a great way to fail. You know I don't know how others feel but the moment I take the field my goal is to dust every single target be it in practice or in competition.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
P.o.i. can sometimes change between choke tubes....I say stick to full or fuller;it helps to be able to see whether you are over the top,to one side or the other or chipping the bottom of the target.

·
Administrator
8,657 Posts
We have a trap flagged for distance at our club in distances starting at 10 yards out of the house and then 5 yard distances from there out to 25 yards.Take a good look at what distance you are consistently breaking targets.Is not the purpose of a choke tube to have the optimal pattern at the distance in which you are breaking the target?Take a look at which choke tube gives you the best pattern for the distance that you are consistently taking the target at,so if you are starting at the 16 yard line and say taking the target 10 yards out of the house take a good look at which choke you are using on the pattern board at 25 yards.Some shooters take the target much sooner than others and can use a more open choke.These are just a couple of ideas that maybey will help you with selecting the right choke tube for what you want to do from the 16. Shoot well George

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I tend to agree with Whack 'em and have my 13 year old daughter doing the same thing. We practice with a full choke and she shoots a mod for competition. To me, this makes sense for a new shooter that is still developing their skills. I think she'll develop more accuracy practicing with a tighter choke and I'm sure that opening things up for competition picks up two to three birds for her.
This is a great recipe to inconsistency. In practice she should be striving to be perfect just as she would desire in competition. The less changes, the more consistent she will become.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Chokes change quick and easy now days. Why not do both. Goal should be to have fun and improve. I usually shoot modifyed but it's not uncommon for me to put in a full choke for a few practice round. It's a confidence boost to see it doesn't affect the score that much. Same thing with handicap shooting. I often practice a few rounds several yards back from where I normally shoot and find it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. This type of varied shooting makes the sport more fun and varied for me. It also shows me that the biggest challenge with handicap distance or choke used is mental expectation of what the outcome will be. If you do some practice with a tighter choke then shoot looser in competition the psychological confidence could definitely make a difference.

Reactions: Whack 'em
1 - 20 of 42 Posts