Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it, or has it ever been, possible to shoot from the 27 @ your first ATA shoot?

I've been told that someone ran 100 @ the 27 at their first ever ATA shoot, but am dubious.

·
Registered
31,684 Posts
Don’t see how. The farthest starting point for a new member is 22 yards for an adult male and you can only get self imposed handicap yardage back to the 25 with approval of the delegate? Sure there is the “known ability” clause, but really? Sounds like BS to me.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Usually the 25 is the farthest you would be penalized.
I started on the 23, shot the Grand from penalty and also Middletown from penalty, both from the 25. Broke a 90 at both places.
As motordoctor said it is possible if you belonged to another association.
As far as anyone breaking a 100 on their first cap event from the 27 I too, find that hard to believe.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I believe you are thinking of Rick Mein the father of Derrick Mein who made the International Trap team for this year. If memory serves me correct I think Rick ran 100 his very first attempt at the 27. Now as far as earning the 27 or how He got there in the first place I don’t know. But I am quite certain he ran his very first attempt at the 27!!!

shoot well! Mike

·
Registered
13,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe you are thinking of Rick Mein the father of Derrick Mein who made the International Trap team for this year. If memory serves me correct I think Rick ran 100 his very first attempt at the 27. Now as far as earning the 27 or how He got there in the first place I don’t know. But I am quite certain he ran his very first attempt at the 27!!!

shoot well! Mike
I could see that as being very possible, although that is a LONG way off from running 100 from the 27 at your first ATA shoot.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts

shoot well! Mike
Rick Mein did shoot a 100, he earned his way back there, but it wasn't his first ATA shoot he did it in. 9/09.

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
I know a man that showed up at state. He was on the 22 with no targets. He was penalized to the 25 broke a 99 and was given 2 yards .
From 22 to 27 in one event.
I have only witnessed two 100s off the 27 and were shot by long time ATAers.
Henry

·
Registered
10,867 Posts
Unless this guy was AAA27AAA in PITA, or a member in good standing on a previous Olympic Trap team? I'd have to call BS on this one. As mentioned above the farthest back a newbie could shoot from is the 25 yard line (this the penalty yardage) at a major shoot, if the shooter does not yet have the min. number of targets (1000 targets) to qualify. Yes, known ability does kick in! But, Even if your a A class shooter in Skeet. Sporting Clay's will start this same shooter in B class in Sporting Clay's. One class lower, no matter what his class is!!! So, Different Games are not the Same, but known ability does kick in. In handicap a New Shooter typically starts at the 20 yard line. Known ability in skeet or sporting clay's could get you back to say the 24 yd. line? Maybe? This is why the penalty yardage is at the 25 yard line, just in case he's sandbagging. I do not know how the ATA works with known average's in PITA though. But he would have to be a 27 yard shooter in PITA with a 1000 targets, to start at the 27 in the ATA I would think. So he's no "New Shooter"!

Now if the story started with shooter shooting at "fill in name here" club came out and broke 100 targets from the 27 yard line during practice??? Well that's a different story. This shooter could have practiced shooting at the 27 for unknown period of time (at another club) and then, when ready went to this club to shoot a perfect game. Nice story though. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
244 Posts
I could see that as being very possible, although that is a LONG way off from running 100 from the 27 at your first ATA shoot.
Agreed Skeet Man it certainly is a long way off from running a 100 your very first ATA shoot. I was just saying I think you may have gotten bad information and the person you heard this from may have meant Rick Mein making 100 straight his first attempt at the 27. Which I think is still an ATA record for a 100 straight at the 27 the very first attempt.

Shoot well! Mike

·
Registered
817 Posts
Don’t see how. The farthest starting point for a new member is 22 yards for an adult male and you can only get self imposed handicap yardage back to the 25 with approval of the delegate? Sure there is the “known ability” clause, but really? Sounds like BS to me.
Current rule book states that all males aged 15 and over shall start at the 20 yard line. Males under 15 and all females shall start at the 19 yard line.

Current rule book states that you can request back to the 25 and also that the farthest penalty yardage can be assessed is to the 25. Unless there was a misapplication of penalty yardage on a new shooter that had requested to shoot from the 25, it's not possible given the current rule book. I've seen the classification desk not know all the rules, which is confusing since there's almost always a rule book and program sitting within arm's reach, but I can't imagine a classifier would put someone with 0 handicap targets to his name at the 27.

·
Registered
31,684 Posts
Forgive me it was 22 yards when I started centuries ago. So that makes it even more unlikely.

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,743 Posts
BTW, while we're at it, there's a lot of confusion about "known ability". It only comes into play in Singles and Doubles, not Handicap, as many believe. Also, no one starts out on the 27yd line if it's their first ATA/PITA competition. Furthermore, it is up to the state association to decide upon, and assign penalty yardage and target requirements at their shoots, and while the ATA has guidelines published in the Rule Book, the State Association makes this decision.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts