Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Why does it happen ? Going from great scores to not-so-great scores ?

Lacking an understanding of fundamentals of American trap. If you just throw the gun up and shoot, you'll get a wide variety of scores.

If you have a process down to foot position, to all the way up to your eyes where u look over the rib, you will shoot more consistent.

Kyle Kanuha from Pennsylvania

·
Registered
306 Posts
For me it's 100% mental. Shoot a few bad rounds and I start to lose confidence and start over-thinking things.

Sometimes I think the trap gods just like torturing me. I'll get on a roll and have a couple of weeks where I'm posting what, for me, are good solid scores - i.e. 23's-25's. Start thinking I'm finally figuring this sport out.

And then comes the inevitable slump. I can't hit anything. If I drop a couple of birds early I start thinking "cr*p, how bad will it be this round? 19? 18? 17?" - which is probably not the best approach.

Of course, just when I'm ready to pack it in and resign myself to the fact that I suck and should just find another sport everything will start coming together again. The birds will look like slow moving frisbees and I'll start crushing them. And the sport has once again sucked me back in.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I'm sure it's annoying for those who are into the sport for competition purposes, but for filthy casuals like me, it's not a big deal at all. In fact it can be pretty funny especially when you start accusing people of putting blanks in your ammo bag. :D

But yeah, like with everything, if you don't keep at it, you'll lose it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Many of us treat this problem with excuses. This is great therapy because you can choose your excuse based on current conditions. The list is endless:
1. Sun is too bright.
2. Too cloudy, not enough sun.
3. Targets are too low.
4. Targets are too high.
5. Targets are too fast.
6. Targets are too slow.
7. Wind is from the East.
8. Wind is from the West.
9. Must adjust my gun. It is shooting too high.
10. Must adjust my gun. It is shoot too low.
11. Fill in the blanks.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Why does that happen?
Dan, I was in exactly the same place a few months ago. As everyone was saying, it could be mental, it may going back to basics and check fundamental mount, etc, etc... I posted my issue somewhere else a while back but it bears repeating. As a right handed right eye dominant shooter I thought I busted my gun, I couldn't hit any right handed target even a 5 degree almost straight out. I could still bust a few left handed targets just OK, but nothing resembling my old self - talk about frustrated and mental anguish. My gun fits like a glove and my fundamentals were all good - but who switched guns on me? In frustration I told myself, since my wife is a mini-Nora Ross kicking my butt as a one-eye shooter, what have I got to loose, so I tried shooting with left eye closed. Well guess what folks, I started smoking all the targets when closed my left (non-dominant) eye. So, the obvious reason for my slump was not mental it was physical. My left eye took over after the bird left the trap house and why I couldn't hit any right hand target because when the left eye becomes dominant it sees a 5 foot right hand lead that isn't there. I was shooting behind everything on target to the right thinking my heretofore strong right eye was doing it job. So, Yes, it definitely can be mental and failure of basic set up, swing and fllowthrough as any instructor will tell you, but sometimes it can be a physical issue that hits your out of the blue, like cross-dominance that I experienced. Better just experiment a little to make sure your dominant eye vision is not being compromised, because I was getting depressed and frustrated which further destroys my mental approach to the sport as others have posted. Check it out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Why does that happen?
It happens, even to the pros! Watch a few golf tournaments and you will see somebody who is leading and playing extremely well suddenly lose it and start hitting really bad shots! The best sometimes recover and get back on track but most come off the rails and never regain their form. The games are totally different but the similarities are striking, especially when trying to regain their form and composure after missing a shot. A lot of why you miss is caused by your brain momentarily forgetting what you learned several thousands of broken clays before. As the best golfers and shooters have learned, a bad shot is in the past and the next shot is a clean slate.

·
Registered
Old pieces with character
13 Posts
If your mind is cluttered with the trials and tribulations of daily life your score will be collateral damage. At least that's what happens with me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It happens, even to the pros! Watch a few golf tournaments and you will see somebody who is leading and playing extremely well suddenly lose it and start hitting really bad shots! The best sometimes recover and get back on track but most come off the rails and never regain their form. The games are totally different but the similarities are striking, especially when trying to regain their form and composure after missing a shot. A lot of why you miss is caused by your brain momentarily forgetting what you learned several thousands of broken clays before. As the best golfers and shooters have learned, a bad shot is in the past and the next shot is a clean slate.
Thank you for this post.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Happened to me a week ago. Shot a 24, 25 in league trying out m "new" 3200. In the other league I shot 19, 20. I average 46 plus year o year overall with a bunch of 25s and a few 50s thrown in. Used to bother me. Now I put it down to random chance and 77 year old eyes and reflexes. Don't stew on it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
A multi year All American shooter told me one time....If you miss one target on a post it's not a big deal as you are not going to hit them all every time out. Missing 2 targets on the same post especially back to back is a mistake in your technique that needs to be corrected.

I tell the kids I coach that they can't bring it back once they pull the trigger. Move on to the next target. Most can't get past that. My son is one that can miss and it not bother him. If anything it makes him focus more on what he is doing knowing he can't drop anymore targets in that round.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I shoot mostly skeet (because that's what is available). If I start out good, I go from trying to hit each target to trying not to miss (measuring leads). The guys I shoot with (AA shooters) pointed this out to me. See target, shoot target. Seems really simple...

21 - 36 of 36 Posts