Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to ship shotgun receiver to gunsmith for trigger work. Whats the accepted method? Insurance?

·
Premium Member
4,211 Posts
wrap it up really good and stick it in a box. I like fed ex but the post office might work also. I think you might need the gunsmiths ffl but not sure. check with him. motordoc.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Ship it Priority Mail/insured. You don't need an FFL. Just make sure the address on the package does not reflect that there is a gun inside. i.e., send it to Bud's Sport Shop, or Just Bud's and not Bud's Gun Shop.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I send priority mail. I don't know what type of trigger work your needing; you might ask the gunsmith if he needs the entire gun or just the trigger group. I would base the amount of Insurance on the replacement cost. Be sure to take pictures before you ship.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ship it Priority Mail/insured. You don't need an FFL. Just make sure the address on the package does not reflect that there is a gun inside. i.e., send it to Bud's Sport Shop, or Just Bud's and not Bud's Gun Shop.
Thats what i was thinking. I was surprised how much insurance cost. Priority plus appropriate insurance is gonna run close to $50. Just to ship the receiver.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Because it is a receiver, I would think that legally you would need a copy of the FFL, or at least verified through EZ check, IF it is crossing state lines being sent by an individual. The FFL holding gunsmith however can send it back to you on return.

Otherwise, what proof do you have that it is being sent to an FFL holder, and the address on the license? What if this gunsmith does not hold an FFL? What if the shipper requests to see it? In the legal world, word of mouth is hard to defend.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
I have sent guns and receivers to Phil Crenwelge in Texas, Doug Braker in Minnesota and Skeets Gun Shop in Oklahoma without an FFL. I have shipped guns that I sold through several post offices to include the states of Florida, Arkansas and Wisconsin and was never asked for an FFL. (Although when I sold guns I always had a copy of the receivers FFL ). UPS might demand an FFL from the receiver of the item. However, USPS has never asked for an FFL. Also, a few years ago I had a postal worker examine my shipment to assure there was no ammunition in the container. (I was shipping a receiver/trigger assembly for repair). I opened and secured the box in front of him and never was asked for an FFL. However, one time I had to produce an FFL to allow shipment through UPS. That was the last time I used this service and now ship only through the post office. Only one time has the post office ever asked what the box contained. Right wrong or otherwise, this has been my experience in shipping a number of guns and/or receivers.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
I understand that shipping it is possible. I have done the same when shipping to Phillip's. Never really gave it a second thought.

Looking at it from a lawful standpoint, just sending it to an address given over the phone by someone that supposedly does have a FFL , even though in these instances you have a real good idea they do, legally seems hazy, but not unusual.

I found this on another site in reference to shipping through the USPS.

"Shipping to an FFL, without a signed inked FFL in your hand:

The shipper/seller, for their protection, needs to verify the receiver is a licensed dealer. They need to ask for the receiver's FFL Number.
The shipper should then go to this website to verify the license and address: ATF FFL Ez Check Site.
The shipper should print the screen they get.
They can then legally ship the gun to the receiver, but only at the address verified at the Ez Check Site."

I think this is the reason why the BATF came up with the EZ check system. Legally if anything should happen, you have to have proof that the address you send the gun off to is at least verified as an FFL holder, because the FFL holder is not required to send off a copy of his FFL.

Reactions: Bluegoose

·
Banned
5,302 Posts
Just put it in a sturdy box with no gun identifying info on the label. Send it through USPS. UPS and FedEX are hard to deal with. Send it Registered Mail and insured. Registered means it has to be signed for by a Postal employee at every stop along the way. Even crooked postal workers will not steal registered mail because it is so closely tracked.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Jack: Just quoting experiences. Please supply your input as to your thoughts on this; as I'm sure you've shipped plenty of guns. A postmaster in Hot Springs, AR. told me that guns being shipped for repair to a gunsmith or a company such as Browning, Beretta, etc. need no FFL Again the USPS have never asked the content of my shipping container, (except once when I declared the contents). All they asked if the package contained hazardous material, perishable items, etc. Ed

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Though the shipper can not require that the package is labeled in a way that it contains a firearm, and it is a good idea not to, the shipper must be notified that it is a firearm being shipped. This is where the problems usually begin, with questions from clerks that don't know the laws and procedures that need to be followed.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
USPS (recent change)

d. Unloaded rifles and shotguns may be mailed if the mailer fully complies with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90—618) and 18 U.S.C. 921. The mailer may be required to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not excluded from mailing

1. Bear a “Return Service Requested” endorsement.
2. Be sent by Priority Mail Express (with “signature required”) or Registered Mail.
3. Include Signature Confirmation service or insured mail service (for more than $500) requiring a signature at delivery.

Postmasters are not authorized to give opinions on the legality of any shipment of rifles or shotguns.

432 Mailability | Postal Explorer

·
Registered
20,183 Posts
I would also like to know what JACK means........
Maybe he means that skirting the rules and the laws as advised once or twice above can lose you a receiver if you are unlucky and that staying legal is less expensive in the long run that trying to save a few bux by weaseling.

Reactions: Gussers

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Maybe he means that skirting the rules and the laws as advised once or twice above can lose you a receiver if you are unlucky and that staying legal is less expensive in the long run that trying to save a few bux by weaseling.
It can also get you selectively banned from this site.:18:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts