Trapshooters Forum banner

Shipping Primers

2944 Views 20 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  aloha one
What steps need to be taken to ship Shotgun Primers by UPS from their hub location.
Thanks Mark
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
5,683 Posts
Still need to be label OMD as ammunition if you shipped primed hulls. Tread lightly.
As of just a few months ago, anyone cold ship loaded ammunition with an ORMD sticker, Other Regulated Material, Class D. No relation to primers or powder. If I had a bunch of junk brass, I could put 5,000 primers in that junk brass and mail it, and it's not required to go hazmat, only ORMD, like live ammo. Hinky huh.

That was a few months ago. I haven't checked lately, but crap is changing so fast now, I'm scared to look. I might be a felon if I did.

· Registered
2,766 Posts
Check with the shippers as to what labels, packaging, etc., are required. Shipping costs may be prohibitive. Then again, primers are like gold currently.

Reactions: dirt stirrer

· Registered
15,232 Posts

· Registered
5,683 Posts
Orm-d is gone as of January 1st. Now it is “limited quantity” markings. A white diamond with 2 black corners.
So, isn't this the new politically correct ORM-D label. I've used these for a while now. I just suspected they changed it so the packrats might not recognize the packages as ammo as readily. It might take them a while to figure out what the white bar means, but they will eventually and stuff will start disappearing again.

· Registered
3,963 Posts
A few years back after talking with Winchester regarding some primers in a 5000 primer case that had a problem with the battery cup, Winchester sent me a new case of primers and arranged for the 3700 suspect primers to be shipped back to them. It was shipped using a motor freight company. I did deliver it to the freight company terminal because I was going to be going to that city (about 40 miles away from my home) anyway on other business. The primers could have been picked up by the motor freight company at my home if i wanted it that way. I did have to pack the case with some filler to take up the space from where I took the primers I had already used. I don't remember if it had the older ORM, before the back diamond, tag or if it was the black tag.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.