Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Just getting by.....
2,028 Posts

· Registered
858 Posts
If you have or create a UPS account, you can prepare a shipping label on line. When asked, "for the label" what the contents are, simply state cartridges, small arms or the exact identification e.g. .22 rimfire ammunition. In another section of the on line form, you can state package size and weight. The calculator will take all of the information from the form and provide you a shipping cost estimate. In my experience, it is always a little lower than the final cost. You can pay for the label on line and print it out. Attach the label to your package and drop it off at a "real" UPS facility, not a sub contractor like Staples or Packages Plus, etc.

· Registered
87 Posts
I shipped some last year, and was told by my UPS center in WNY to require a signature (which costs an extra $5 or so). My UPS driver said no, not needed. My local FedEx center in Naples FL won't take ammo at all; their drivers have told me that's not true, it's no problem (when you follow the advice above). Ymmv.

I also had a case of ammo emptied & stolen at a UPS hub. Best to put the box(es) in an outer box with no labeling or branding that would tip off the package handlers. Just use the symbol and instructions above.

· Registered
87 Posts
Attach the label to your package and drop it off at a "real" UPS facility, not a sub contractor like Staples or Packages Plus, etc.
Correct, important point -- the subs typically lease space in small malls, and their leases prohibit ammo (hazmat).
The actual ship centers are real buildings owned by the shipping company and they have proper permits for hazmat.

· Registered
475 Posts
Must ship UPS or FedEx GROUND and package must have this designation on the box.
Standard ground rates apply.

View attachment 1749064
They are considered orm-d (other regulated materials), basically a low risk item. You could pretty much say non hazmat...hazmat...lol. I believe they recently phased out that above orm-d placard/symbol. Can’t remember for sure but I know we don’t placard trailers for it. Shouldn’t be a big deal other than an extra charge I’m sure the shipper will charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
1,153 Posts
I believe they recently phased out that above orm-d placard/symbol.

I believe they have phased out the old, blue ORM-D placard. The above diamond shape is the current one required. If you have any flats of shells or brass ammo around, that diamond will probably be printed on the box.

· Registered
4,107 Posts
If you have or create a UPS account, you can prepare a shipping label on line. When asked, "for the label" what the contents are, simply state cartridges, small arms or the exact identification e.g. .22 rimfire ammunition. In another section of the on line form, you can state package size and weight. The calculator will take all of the information from the form and provide you a shipping cost estimate. In my experience, it is always a little lower than the final cost. You can pay for the label on line and print it out. Attach the label to your package and drop it off at a "real" UPS facility, not a sub contractor like Staples or Packages Plus, etc.
You do not have to state what is in the box. You do have to place the appropriate hazard label (see Tim's post). If you use your UPS account to pay and print label you can drop it off anywhere. Including Staples. If you let someone else label and ship it you can pay up to double the price.

· Banned
9,591 Posts
They are considered orm-d (other regulated materials), basically a low risk item. You could pretty much say non hazmat...hazmat...lol. I believe they recently phased out that above orm-d placard/symbol. Can’t remember for sure but I know we don’t placard trailers for it. Shouldn’t be a big deal other than an extra charge I’m sure the shipper will charge.

No,
This is the old ORM-D label that is NO longer acceptable. The Diamond designation that I posted above, is the NEW requirement.
There are no additional requirements for shipping loaded ammunition. No up charges or additional paperwork is necessary.
Standard shipping charges apply, same cost to ship 20 lbs of ammunition as it is to ship 20 lbs of broom handles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.