Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this was covered already in a post from a few years back, but I just want to check if the wisdom is still the same.

Seems back then the prevailing wisdom was that shipping a firearm by USPS insured was the best method.

Still true?

Reactions: Remdog1187

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Your UPS insurance should be written on toilet-paper!!!!.......merlyn
Why would you buy insurance through a carrier? Do you buy shellfish at the gas station?

I've always used UPS and they've been great. CO to Maryland was always about $35. Shipped once through local post office and they said it had to go registered mail, no way around it. Was more like $150. Upside there was they missed the delivery time frame and with registered that means you get all of the cost refunded, that was a nice surprise.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I know this was covered already in a post from a few years back, but I just want to check if the wisdom is still the same.

Seems back then the prevailing wisdom was that shipping a firearm by USPS insured was the best method.

Still true?
Long guns only-post office has been quick,fairly reasonable,and hassle free. I once had a counter person say they couldn't ship a shotgun for repair. i went home,printed the regs from their manual and went back later that day. they didn't even blink when I returned,just accepted package. I believe they go priority,2 or 3 day. My last one was Mpls to Omaha, about $35 with insurance.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I handle the incoming and outgoing shipments at the music store I work at. As far as safe handling goes, they're all terrible. I've seen boxes crushed beyond recognition and the carrier still didn't want to pay out on a damage claim. It's really a crapshoot about whether or not a package will get damaged. However, cost wise, USPS is almost always the cheaper option. I trust their employees the least, but you pay for what you're lucky to get.

·
Registered
14,885 Posts
UPS broke a custom stock when I sent it to California. Snapped one of the forks. I figure they left it on the runway and a plane drove over it. After much arguing, and documentation, it took 6 months to get reimbursed

·
Registered
848 Posts
Wish I would have saved it, but someone who worked for one of the shipping companies said a shipping label should be put on every side so employees couldn't change one or two and steel it. I use USPS.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have used USPS for a while now and no problems. Lester

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Up where I am Fedex is much cheaper than USPS for long guns but all my Handguns go USPS.
Darrel
don't know how you're pulling that one off. If I'm reading the regs right under 432 only curio and antique hand guns are able to ship through USPS unless that's what you're talking about.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts