Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to do a little remodeling in my gun safe, and built some new shelving and dividers.

Any thoughts on what the best material for this would be? The original shelves appear to be MDF. I'm guessing that the dehumidifier has sucked as much moisture as possible out of the existing interior, but since MDF is 8-10% moisture content I'm hesitant to cut more and put it in and start the cycle over again.

I'm thinking Trex might be a decent idea for dividers/organizers, and might be able to scrap up some scrap pieces for free.

·
Registered
10,852 Posts
You can pick-up 1/2 inch, 5/8 inch, and 3/4 inch thick plywood in a clear birch finish. Cut to size and glue (clear contact cement) on the pre-finished edge banding and your good to go. It'll look like a nice finished piece of wood. Plywood is very stable and does not hold humidity like MDF. The down side is, its not cheap for a full sheet of this plywood and a full roll of edge-banding to match. But it'll look great. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Trex isn't very strong, they do make some structural poly sheeting, I would recommend pine. Or more fancy woods, if you are not covering it

·
Registered
62 Posts
Dusty do,
No moisture issues with using unfinished pine or poplar? I also need to make some custom shelves/racks to better organize my safe and I planned on using something like that, cheap and easy to work with.
Thanks
skrap

·
Supporting Vendor
5,694 Posts
Use a finish grade of 3/4" birch veneer plywood and veneer the edges. Finish with stain and polyurethane. My safe interior is 35 years old and the shelves look the same as the day I made them. Use 5/8" wide shelf standards (Rockler) and inlet them so they are flush.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Tron is correct!! ABS Plastic is the way to go. It does not absorb any moisture and is tough enough to take any knocks.
Devonian.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I did a few interiors with nothing more than finish grade 3/4 plywood and a hole saw. 3" as I recall. Works great. Gun socks are a must to prevent dings from taking guns in and out. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts