Trapshooters Forum banner

Shells with bad loads to salvage lead and powder

3846 Views 58 Replies 26 Participants Last post by  Steve12
With components being hard to come by it is time to salvage .
Found a tool that may make it faster. Will know soon.
Product Font Tool Wood Wood stain
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
View attachment 1740841
The tool you have listed works well, we’ve been using one for sometime now taking apart unknown reloads and salvaging the shot and wads. Hope it works for you as it has for us. Glad to see this post, not sure where the one we’ve been using came from, now we know Ballistic is a place to get another. Thanks

· Banned
684 Posts
View attachment 1740841
Since most of my shells are coming from reloading I want to waist as little as possible. Little over two five gallon buckets full
Steve
Steve the Unloader tool sold on this sight has been a good tool for me I’m not familiar with the one you have illustrated but looks like it should work !!

· Banned
684 Posts
Been advertising the world famous "Unloader" for several years since Gary asked me to sell for him while he dedicates his time to building bore mics and unloaders. The devices are made with top quality components and wood that you'll be proud to have on your reloading bench.

Mike Mann
WHITE CREEK GUNSTOCK BLANKS
Mike the Unloader is a great tool I have owned one for a few years and it performs flawlessly and is made from an very nice specimen of wood !!!

· Registered
2,108 Posts
I never found it complicated to cut just below the crimp with a box cutter, tip shot into container, pull wad with needle nose pliers, and pour out powder, having loosened it with a bamboo BBQ skewer.
I have shot some reloads, but only from a methodical loader who labeled his boxes with recipe, and confirming that the components matched the label.
I have dismantled more estate reloaded shells than I have shot.

· Registered
36,891 Posts
Might have to look into that one. Looks easy to use for hands getting more painful.

I had thought about this one.

Being the type that gets bored easily and wants it now, I made this for almost zero cost. I mount it in a vise for easier use. Nothing more than a piece of 2x3 with a 7/8 hole, a box cutter mounted with a wood screw in the hole already in the end of the cutter. Most time consuming effort was depth of the hole to catch area where wad was thinnest and able to salvage it.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.