Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted a few threads while getting my first Beretta 391, specifically a Urika 2.
It's a sporter and will only be used for sporting clays as I have a K-80 for skeet.

30'' barrel, the stock fits me perfectly since getting a new pad to adjust LOP.
I also have the correct shim for cast and drop.
Weight is 8.5 lbs thanks to forend and stock weights.

My next question is on shells.
What shells are most reliable, which should I steer clear of?

It's going to get stupid dirty being a gas gun, but what shells are relatively cleaner burning?

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
I never put a dirty gun back in the safe. A clean and lubed semi auto is a happy semi auto. Shoot whatever you want, except Winchester Universals.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
It's going to get stupid dirty being a gas gun,
Not necessarily. I have been shooting a Beretta 391 for decades. They are incredibly dependable and, in my experience, will run a wide variety of shells with zero problems. I shoot nothing but reloads, so I can't give you any info on the cleanest burning shells, but it's not really an issue with these guns.

I never put a dirty gun back in the safe. A clean and lubed semi auto is a happy semi auto.
I'm just the opposite. I wipe off the exterior with some Remoil when I'm through shooting for the day, but I only strip it down and do a thorough cleaning about every 3 or 4 months. Been doing it this way for many years with absolutely no problems, and I shoot A LOT!

IMO, these guns do not need to be babied like some of the other semis out there.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Registered
341 Posts
I've posted a few threads while getting my first Beretta 391, specifically a Urika 2.
It's a sporter and will only be used for sporting clays as I have a K-80 for skeet.

30'' barrel, the stock fits me perfectly since getting a new pad to adjust LOP.
I also have the correct shim for cast and drop.
Weight is 8.5 lbs thanks to forend and stock weights.

My next question is on shells.
What shells are most reliable, which should I steer clear of?

It's going to get stupid dirty being a gas gun, but what shells are relatively cleaner burning?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Mine aren't too ammo fussy. Brass based hulls-Rem&AAs seem to extract a bit easier,but Rio,etc work fine. You can probably run a thousand or so of anything before worrying about thorough cleaning.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Having several 391's and shooting them a lot over the years, my experience is that most anything works. But my unequivocal favorite is 1 oz Fiocchi Little Rinos. They are 1250 fps and work well for pretty much anything.

One cautionary note however is that in very cold conditions (I reside in MN) you might need Cole's red gas valve spring to eject lighter loads, under 1200 fps.

Ditto Claypoppy on the cleaning. It certainly hurts nothing to do it regularly, but it is not necessary.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have a small tribe of 391 Sportings and Teknys. They will all happily eat anything, down to light 7/8 oz (and my friends 3/4 oz. reloads) once broken in. I keep mine clean, shoot them "dry" other than a little drop of oil on the rails where the bolt carrier rides, and they have been great guns. It never gets cold enough to matter here, so I can't speak to how they operate in cold with light loads with any experience. Enjoy your 391.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
My 391 Sporting shoots everything without failure. Yours should shoot the same. I fully agree it should be kept clean and it will serve you well for many, many years ----

·
Registered
133 Posts
I can agree with all of the above posts. I have had five 391 Teknys and love them. I have always shot the Winchester Super Target simply because they burn clean in my gun and I can buy them cheap. This is probably the 6th year that I have used them and will continue to do so as long as my dealer carries them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts