Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Vista did not report record earnings by making small increases in their product cost.

Granted the end retailers are marking up ammo but they are not the sole problem.

Both entities, manufacturer and seller, are the cause of shells being what they are at present.

Vista earnings have nothing to do with what the retailers charge.

·
Registered
6,791 Posts
I never thought I would see the day when driving to a store and paying high retai price for two boxes of 12 gauge shells would be considered a successful excursion. Of course there now a lot of things we never thought we would see.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Vista did not report record earnings by making small increases in their product cost.

Granted the end retailers are marking up ammo but they are not the sole problem.

Both entities, manufacturer and seller, are the cause of shells being what they are at present.

Vista earnings have nothing to do with what the retailers charge.
Vista sold more product, one of the biggest sellers were tents. Vista owned companies announced their increases in ammo and components. If you want to know where the hikes are coming from, go look at the price sheets of big wholesalers. There's no conspiracy.

Maybe you missed the news that all things outdoor sold through the roof, due to limitations of what people could do for a whole year?

It's Vista OUTDOORS, not Vista Ammo.

·
Registered
646 Posts
We were originally told the shortage was because of unprecedented demand, and that the factories were working 24/7 to meet that demand, so unless there’s new production i.e. factories, Or a reduction in demand, current prices and inventory will not change,

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Yes, shortages just about always lead to hoarding, which worsens the shortage, etc.
EVENTUALLY hoarders have filled up their stashes and decide they probably won't live long enough to use all that toilet paper.
In the mean time manufacturers have geared up for increased demand and SOME new suppliers have seen the opportunity to enter a high margin market. Once the GENUINE bottlenecks are cleared there is GLUT !
Politely called competitive pricing.

Communists say this is proof that capitalism is unstable - well, the capitalist market system is unstable, something like that.
It certainly oscillates (-:

Yep, I'm hoping my stash of home made shells will last until the next glut.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Marbax, your reply is correct, mostly.

Vista`s press release states that the prior quarters earnings were driven by strong consumer demand due to a resurgence in outdoor recreation activities and demand for personal protection.

This info is stated under the shooting sports section of their press release which also says their sales in this category rose 41% to $402 million in this category.

Outdoor sales were up 24% to $173 million. The sale of tents was included in this figure but the sale of ammo had its own section and played a much larger figure.

Tent sales alone did not drive the over-all figure, but helped.

Vista Outdoors, Inc., is the correct corporate name.

But since this thread was started regarding $3.50 per box (??) shotgun shells returning, I used the term Vista ammo.

Incidentally, IMHO the days of $3.50 per box ammo are gone with the possible exception of small fire-sale amounts.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I cannot remember $3.50 a box shells. I do remember $4.50 Gun Clubs 17 years ago. That would make it $6.37 with inflation. Have seen $7.40 boxes of shells for sale at clubs within the last 4 months and I know people who purchased a couple pallets of shells for $65 a flat. I think $6.50-$8.50 will be regular prices and I believe promotions will happen. There will be increased pressure from European shells manufactures that will keep Vista in check.

·
Registered
6,791 Posts
I thought this was an interesting article since it is mostly about sporting goods.
1950 VS 2020: The Price of Guns and Ammo - Wideners Shooting, Hunting & Gun Blog

I bought a lot of Remington RXP target loads for $4.50 a box in the mix 70's. Those were considered higher end. I bought no name discount shells then for maybe $3.50-$3.75 a box.

I remember in 1972 a new Coupe deville was $6800, and I thought I could probably buy one in a couple years. Every time I earned $1000 more, the price went up $2000, then jimmy carters double digit inflation kicked in and I never did get a new Cadillac. By 1980, you could not even get a Chevy Impala for $6800. Leftist political policies have been stealing the fruits of our labor for 50 years.

·
Registered
934 Posts
:unsure: IMHO if anyone is waiting for target loads to come down to $3.50 - $4.00 per box before they start shooting again they may as well sell their guns and spend the money on whiskey and wild women and enjoy the ride, cause it ain't happening folks.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Depends on how many shells you shoot and how often you hang out with wild women 😂 😂 :unsure:🤣

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
At some of the big box stores gun .club shells were 4.99 for 25
Then they would do the 20% or 25% off everything in the store special sales - so I would get me 10 or 15 flats, maybe more.

I am still reloading many/most of those.

Ahhh`, them woz the daze.

·
Registered
220 Posts
In the last year I've driven past the Remington shotgun shell plant in Arkansas 4 times sence they reported operation running 24/7. I've yet to see the parking lot more than about 25% full. Must be a lot of car pooling going on.

·
Registered
34,298 Posts
In the last year I've driven past the Remington shotgun shell plant in Arkansas 4 times sence they reported operation running 24/7. I've yet to see the parking lot more than about 25% full. Must be a lot of car pooling going on.
Either that or those who did not return to work after the layoffs and take over by Vista were office workers and non essential to the production of the line or taking the money from JoHo for staying home.

·
Registered
242 Posts

I doubt that the new owners would have a "news conference" and say "Well geez we can't seem to figure out how to get this stuff to work in here and we cant seem to get anyone to show up who does.." unless they want to see their stock prices crash like a Taiwanese TransAsia jet full of Chinese tourists.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
To further Kyskeets observations about the Lonoke plant ...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was told, by someone who deals with Remington in Lonoke, two or three times a week, the following;

The employees working there had lost all their accrued vacation time, IRA`s, health insurance, and other perks, when Remington was discharged from bankruptcy.

Vista offered them the same salary they were making while working at Remington without their past perks. The employees said pass as they wanted all their perks reinstated.

Vista said no to their demand as that was part of the problem which caused the Remington bankruptcy.

Result ... Standoff.

The employee wouldn`t come back to work without the previous benefits and Vista would not pay for their reinstatement.

Supposedly a few employees started to filter back to work under a new agreement the details of which were unknown to my source.

The latest I heard was Remington in Lonoke was still not back to full staff.

If anyone has more current info please post it.

·
Registered
34,298 Posts
So the upshot is, ammo production is 24-7 with what they got, not what they had?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
So the upshot is, ammo production is 24-7 with what they got, not what they had?
Yes, there is a worker shortage, and on top of that their internal labor issues.

The new owners in NY had to make a side agreement with the union, before the judge let them buy it, which they promptly tried to renig on, but it worked out.

There's lots of job openings in the ammo industry, with all the guys on here with the expertise telling companies how they should run there own business, I would hope a half dozen or so would take one for the team and go work at the plants to get the rest of us ammo.

With that knowledge base, ammo should be back to $3.50 a box in under 2 weeks.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts