Trapshooters Forum banner

shell storage

3858 Views 24 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  samyers1967
putting them in wad bags seem to work for me in my limited space i get 250 to 300 in a bag Cabinetry Wood Shipping box Gas Hardwood
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
3,907 Posts
I use 5 gallon bucket with Therma Seal lid. Lids are easy off, never spill. I have a couple of these buckets from Firehouse Subs (they were used to carry toxic waste, very poisonous, aka pickle bucket), was $2, now $3.00.
I've been very disappointed in my manufacturing/design/mechanical engineering shooting colleagues not making a "boxer". Putting shells in E-Zee loader reminds me of horse drawn carts before Trucks. If it bled, I could help.

Reactions: grizquad

· Registered
2,539 Posts
I like reusing the original boxes and cases to store them in flats.
I agree, that's what I like to do, and keep reloading and keep the rest in buckets until I start running out of boxed up flats. Agree with Charlie, I still use The Mec EZ loader as probably everyone else does, wish there was a little faster method. Years ago, young daughter would do the boxing for me and I would take her shooting, but they grow up :rolleyes:

· Registered
4 Posts
Home Depot 5 gal bucket holds 600. I set the lid on without locking it and stack 4 buckets out in my shop.
Buckets are a no no. What if your press had a bronze
These look like empty hulls in the bags that I keep in storage totes that hold about 700-800 empties. During reloading, I box the shells and place them in 10 box flats.
Home Depot 5 gal bucket holds 600. I set the lid on without locking it and stack 4 buckets out in my shop.
Buckets are not the best idea. I have been reloading for over 30 years and I can tell you that no matter how carful you are sooner or later your going to have a problem with your reloader. Not dropping the correct amount of powder or no powder at all. I have seen guys cut up 700 or 800 shells because they could not use them in competition. Box them in boxes of 25 And number each box. If you have a problem you can go a few boxes ahead until you find the end of the bad ones. Boxes are all over the place. Those 100 pack boxes are great, you can stack them on top of each other and they take up little room. People toss those away all the time. Just saying.

· Registered
2,539 Posts
sooner or later your going to have a problem with your reloader.
While I respect your 30+ years of reloading, I too have a number of years under my belt. I finally graduated to a PW800+ and after a an interesting learning curve from my MEC9000, I have a small hiccup now and then but am able to fix it immediately. Every time I add 100 primers I do a QC check for powder. When I box up shells from my buckets, I am checking the crimps, if there is an odd crimp, I cut it open. Haven't had any for quite awhile.
Sorry if I got off the original thread for storage. But I still like my buckets, box and put in flats for use...then repeat.

· Registered
3,907 Posts
While I respect your 30+ years of reloading, I too have a number of years under my belt. I finally graduated to a PW800+ and after a an interesting learning curve from my MEC9000, I have a small hiccup now and then but am able to fix it immediately. Every time I add 100 primers I do a QC check for powder. When I box up shells from my buckets, I am checking the crimps, if there is an odd crimp, I cut it open. Haven't had any for quite awhile.
Sorry if I got off the original thread for storage. But I still like my buckets, box and put in flats for use...then repeat.
Instead of messing up a functional shell, why not shoot it? I had 25 ugly crimps on my first shot of doubles once, used them for practice, ran 50 straight. I'm not talking about bulges or crooked wads, just ugly crimps. When you take the shell apart, what are you finding?

· Registered
2,539 Posts
I'm not talking about bulges or crooked wads, just ugly crimps.
I totally agree, Ugly crimps go in and get shot with the nice ones. I was talking about a deeply dished or barely crimped shell (thinking not enough powder or too much). Haven't had one for quite awhile.
If I did, I would use my shell cutter, and put shot back in can, and weigh powder and reuse it too, keep wad if ok and reclaim primer. 600 good shells ready to go into bucket until its their time to be boxed & shot.
Wood Cuisine Waste Recreation Storage basket

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.