Trapshooters Forum banner

Shell Stands for Local Trap Range

3356 Views 33 Replies 24 Participants Last post by  entropy
Hey all,

Made some shell stands for my local range. The range is on Fort Lee (Army Base) and funding is somewhat eh for it. The range only costs $5 a round which is very reasonable. The range itself was built 30+ years ago by volunteer funds. Alot of junior Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, Marines, Retirees, and civilians rent shotguns and shoot. Few had shell pouches and were always fumbling with the shell boxes trying to set them at their feet (first time shooters). It can be a bit confusing for new trap shooters to try to learn everything at once and then fumble around with shell boxes. Anyhow I have just enough knowledge and the tools to royally mess something up so what could go wrong? My welding isn't spectacular but only way to get better is to practice. So whipped these up in about a day so junior shooters could have one less thing to be nervous about.

Brought them yesterday and within 30 minutes, two junior Marines were using them.

Material used:
1" angle steel
1/2" steel rod stock

Plant Wheel Tire Road surface Grass

Wood Rectangle Gas Bumper Composite material

Wood Grass Rectangle Gas Groundcover

Plant Wood Grass Road surface Woody plant

Branch Road surface Street light Twig Wood

Plant Tree Natural landscape Grass Landscape

Plant Land lot Road surface Grass Asphalt
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
2,988 Posts
That's wonderful. I know I hate to watch the fumbling around with shell boxes on the ground. People leaning out past the firing line, poor/no muzzle control while digging in a box. You did good for the club, and firearm safety in general. If they criticize the quality of your workmanship, tell 'em they need to get their head in the game and focus on their targets... or step up and do better.

· Registered
Ljutic ARS / Ljutic Mono-Gun
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's wonderful. I know I hate to watch the fumbling around with shell boxes on the ground. People leaning out past the firing line, poor/no muzzle control while digging in a box. You did good for the club, and firearm safety in general. If they criticize the quality of your workmanship, tell 'em they need to get their head in the game and focus on their targets... or step up and do better.
Exactly my thoughts in terms of safety and encouraging an environment of cautious relaxation. IE having fun while being safe which can be difficult for new shooters

· Registered
56 Posts
Great that you made them portable. The shooters can put it behind them if not needed. One club I shoot at has them cemented in the ground centered in front of the pad. A real PITA for shooters that don’t need it. My mind is on not hitting the damn things with my gun. Never shoot very well there☹
Shot well and often, Keith

· Registered
2,423 Posts
Nice Job. They may not tell you personally, but I’m sure many people will appreciate your work, for years to come. Our club also sets buckets at each station for empties. Saves a lot of time picking up empty hulls.
Great idea and good looking as well. I understand what another said about being in the way or placeing to the side or behind. At least with this option, you can do either.
Weld a hook up high enough and you can hang a 5gal bucket on the stand and move as 1.

· Registered
547 Posts
Back in the early 80's, we used to set our beer on the stands our club had. I only found out they were for shells when a new shooter set his box on one. :unsure:
I'm thinking Wisconsin, although many clubs everywhere at one time used to be like that.

Used to shoot trap in the Winter during the Blizzard league, Mn. vs. Wi. Top guns winning at clubs on the Mn. side of the river get meat trays. Wi. side is usually a bottle of booze. Caused a heck of a problem when my youngest son was high gun at Gunslick Trap Club in Holmen, Wi. one weekend and the prize was a huge bottle of Southern Comfort. He was 14, they ended up giving it to me.

Woods and Meadows in Warrens, Wi. has a large sign at the entrance to the SC range that says absolutely no alcohol before or during shooting. Below it is a large sheet of plywood spray painted which says That Includes Beer. When I asked about it was told that in Wi. some don't consider beer as alcohol it is more a food group and it was added after the original sign went up for clarification.

· Registered
219 Posts
At least they are moveable. Couldn't cut the ones off at our club fast enough when I moved there. They were in the center of the pad in front of the 16 yard line, permanently mounted and always in the way for standing on the trap pad and being comfortable waiting for your next shot. Always hitting my shotgun during the mount, hard to mow around or plow snow...

· Registered
2,988 Posts
Our club also sets buckets at each station for empties. Saves a lot of time picking up empty hulls.
Wait... what? I thought those bins were just there for looks! Now, I know for a fact (cuz I've watched people) that if you wanna be cool, you purposely let the hulls fly behind you or throw them on the ground next to the container. If confronted about same: LIE! Say it breaks your soft eye and mental focus to worry about the hulls.

After all; the scorer is responsible for cleaning up the field.

· Registered
6,262 Posts
I'm thinking Wisconsin, although many clubs everywhere at one time used to be like that.

Used to shoot trap in the Winter during the Blizzard league, Mn. vs. Wi. Top guns winning at clubs on the Mn. side of the river get meat trays. Wi. side is usually a bottle of booze. Caused a heck of a problem when my youngest son was high gun at Gunslick Trap Club in Holmen, Wi. one weekend and the prize was a huge bottle of Southern Comfort. He was 14, they ended up giving it to me.

Woods and Meadows in Warrens, Wi. has a large sign at the entrance to the SC range that says absolutely no alcohol before or during shooting. Below it is a large sheet of plywood spray painted which says That Includes Beer. When I asked about it was told that in Wi. some don't consider beer as alcohol it is more a food group and it was added after the original sign went up for clarification.
Minnesota, actually. Castle Greens Trap Club, Oakdale, MN. Not there anymore, unfortunately.

Beer is liquid bread, though I take mine unleaded.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts