Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have NEVER seen this before and had to verify what I had just seen with several other people that witnessed it. I was watching a squad shoot and a shooter had a dud. Well it sounded very strange instead of the light blooper pop it sounded more like a rifle with a light load and a.....ZING sound. The shooter was a newby and just waved for the next guy to shoot and fore go his turn. Just as the next shooter raised his gun there was a light boom sound at the 50 yard stake and a plum of smoke 5 feet tall with a column of maybe 2 feet arose.

WHAT THE HE11?

My best guess is the powder must of light burned enough to send the load out with the powder bulk stuck to back of the wad than fizzled until it finally burnt.

I later asked the guy what he was loading. "These are the RIO shells I just bought". Interesting to say the least.

Has anyone else ever seen this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Never heard of such a thing. I shoot the cheap stuff a lot and the most issue I've ever had was with gun club and the steel base coming off the hull when ejected.

Now for the important question...would you say the powder charge "detonated?"

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Seems like it was a "bird bomb shell". These are used to fire up into the air an the "bomb" would explode to scare the birds away from places like rual airport run ways, farm fields etc.

It may have been loaded intentially or some one slipped it in the guy's box. Being he just waved the next shooter to shoot I would guess he may have loaded it intentionally. But then if there was a guy or guys laughing on the line or in the back you will have a good guess one of them did it.

Jason

·
2,768 Posts
Well, we know it wasn't shot in a K80 because after reading the bazillions of posts on the last blown K80, we know that most of the squad would have been maimed or worse.

Actually, I vote for the bird-bomb. Haven't seen them for sale for a number of years.

Bob

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Could the round have been a "zinger" or "whistler" in which the case separates from the base and goes downrange with the wad and shot? If so, it may have kept the wad and shot (plus some unburned powder) inside the case tube all the way to the 50 yard stake before the rest of the powder ignited.

Easystreet

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
I agree with the "bird bomb". I used to have a bunch of these. They are 12ga shot shells basically loaded with a M80 firecracker in them. They shoot out about 50 to 100 yards and blowup just like an M80 (for those that remember what M80's and cherry bombs used to sound like). Sometimes you can get them from the Conservation department to scare off Geese. You can order them also.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Definitely sounds like a bird bomb we have used them for years to keep herds of elk out of fields in the winter.Jerry

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
We had a guy in Kokomo that thought it was really funny to put his custom"novelty" shells in peoples pouches while they were not looking. He even had them loaded in both reds and greens. Some were loaded with black powder, some had sparkles, some were popcorn, and some were real back fence boomers. I really did not like the guy, he never got me. I was there one night when a boomer cracked the stock on a Browning Midas. There is usually an explaination when something "unexplainable" happens

1 - 20 of 24 Posts