Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What shell combination / powder / wad / shot is the best to produce 16 yd ink balls regardless of a reasonable choke for this discussion.

Skip Dillin

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
1 oz of hard 8 shot travelling at 1200 fps.

Curt

P.S. Forgot to mention that those shells will need a competent shooter using them.

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
If you loaded one box with 25 different loads from a good manual for your first 25 shots, then shot the next field with 1 oz Rio shells, the next field with 1 1/8 oz new AA shells and the last field with 1 oz new Remington shells, you would find that every shell will smoke targets if you do your job.

The difference between the best shells and average shells begins to show up at long range handicap and this difference may only be around one target per 100.

Pat Ireland

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
1 OZ of #81/2, 17.5 Clay Dot, TGT-12, CCI-209/(Nobel sport, Cheddite, ) in any Rem. hull---for INK use IM or Tighter---for competition LM----a chip counts as much as INK

Lou

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
HMB- Your idea will not always work. My K-80 only understands German and many shooters use guns that only understand Italian.

Pat Ireland

·
Registered
965 Posts
A good pair of eyes,,,a strightbarel,,,and a steady hand,,,,and any legale trap load should do it,,,,i have used every thing from 7/8 of # 9, IC choke at pop gun speed to 1 1/8 oz # 7 1/2 IM choke at warp speed and have had similer results ,,,WHEN I DO MY PART

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
tracyhunter- At the Dixie I used factory AA loads for about 1/2 of the program. I also used up some odd lots of Federal Top Gun and Rem STS I had around. For doubles I used my reloads. I can miss with any shell.

Pat Ireland

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Pat, if I remember the trophy list correctly, you won at least one class trophy in the doubles at the Dixie, so at least some of the time you don't miss too many.

·
Registered
569 Posts
18 grains of green dot and an ounce and a quarter of #8's work well with .035 choke. Makes the smoke follow the shot path....if you do your part! :)Dan

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.