Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum (and to trap shooting) so my apologies if this has been covered before.

I had the range to myself Sunday morning and spent about an hour patterning my first trap gun (Citori 725 Trap). The gun is new, (and I'm guessing a little stiff) but every shell ejection would fly literally across the parking lot - any easy way to manage this? I've been watching trap shooters for the past several weeks, and I don't see anyone having trouble with this. I'd really appreciate some advice - thanks in advance.

(Maybe this is what happens when a 20-year bulls-eye pistol guy decides to give a shotty a try.....!!)

·
Registered
23,419 Posts
Put your hand over the shells and let them fly into it!
That would be fine but for the point he made about it being a brand new 725. Them there new ones take both hands just to break open and unfold.

Don T

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That would be fine but for the point he made about it being a brand new 725. Them there new ones take both hands just to break open and unfold.

Don T
Don - That's what EVERYBODY at the range said. It'll be a while before this thing "falls open". I love it, but it is stiff.

We have a gunsmith here in town - I think I'll suggest you're proposal and have the springs changed over. "Ejector to extractor conversion" - who would have known!!

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
PSC shooter, it you're from NH. Welcome to the sport, hope to see you around the area and that you enjoy the good people from your state. I guess I'd try lightly lubing the hinge pins etc. and use a GOOD snap cap and just keep working the action to try and loosen it a little and help in your getting used to catching the empty hulls. Not a big deal--enjoy. Bob

·
Registered
531 Posts

Don T
I have a brand new FN SC1 and have to admit the first round or so it was tight so I would put the butstock under my shoulder and use my left hand to break it down and then catch the hulls with my right hand. Thats not to say I didnt have 1 or 2 hit me right in the forehead lol

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I didn't get any in the forehead - but it WAS close. One flew over my car.

Thanks for the responses - Bob, I got 2 Zooms and will practice mounting and loosening it up. I'm thinking mounting is huge.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'm thinking mounting is huge.
I am in the same boat. I have only gone and shot trap 3 times about 12 rounds total so far and I just broke my first 20 on Sunday. Shot 4 rounds and had a 75 average...The at home practicing made a huge difference for me. Mounting in the same place each and every time is huge. My main focus now is to stop thinking and just concentrate on one target at a time.

·
Registered
23,419 Posts
I have a brand new FN SC1 and have to admit the first round or so it was tight so I would put the butstock under my shoulder and use my left hand to break it down and then catch the hulls with my right hand. Thats not to say I didnt have 1 or 2 hit me right in the forehead lol
One must admit that catching hulls before their launch is an acquired skill. Any break gun with ejectors takes a while to learn that skill and a new shooter with a stiff new gun needs a lot of practice before it becomes second nature. I catch and bag even the shoot once and pitch hulls but it took a while before I got the routine down so that I didn't launch one or two. Even now after thousands of rounds once in a while my P gun will get a shell out before I can get my hand up there especially when I am on a long run of breaks and the squad is fast paced.

Don T

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is that the same as the spring replacement - or is there an adjustment somewhere?

I don't recall anything in the manual.

·
Registered
531 Posts
One must admit that catching hulls before their launch is an acquired skill.
Ain't that the truth....I learned because at my club the range staff has to go and pick up the shells that everybody leaves on the ground. I think that is just wrong! So I learned so they wouldn't have to pick up mine. Soon ill be reloading so ill be keeping them anyways.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Browning had a great idea when they made the BT-100 you can easily change them from eject to extract why they never carried that into their other guns I have no idea.. having said that when my 99 was new I would break it open a little bit then set the end of the barrel on the rest on my boot and then catch the shell with my right hand (i shoot left handed) worked well but now she just falls open and it's much easier now

·
Registered
23,419 Posts
Is that the same as the spring replacement - or is there an adjustment somewhere?

I don't recall anything in the manual.
http://www.gun-tests.com/special_re...n-american-gunsmith-13894-1.html#.VVtoO9jbJow

Go to the linked article in my first reply, read the part about removing the trip rods, then go to the article linked here and read about how to take the trip rods out of your shotgun. The linked article here you will need eventually anyway because you will need to do a deep cleaning on your new gun after a couple of thousand rounds and if you go ahead and get familiar with the inside of the receiver ahead of time you will be ahead of your friends.

Don T

·
Registered
13 Posts
I ordered the springs from Brownells last week they will be here Thursday, the way I was opening the gun the shell kicks into my trigger finger knuckle. 12.00 total with shipping I had to order the Wilson ones since the standard was out of stock. I shoot a Citori special trap. Can let you know how it goes with pics if interested.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don - I was actually thinking of having the local gunsmith do it - but I may give it a try. Thank you for the links - very helpful.

If I do decide to DIY - I'll post info. Can't really be much more complex then my semi handguns.....

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
I didn't see where anybody brought this up, be sure to keep grease on all the surfaces that move/make contact with each other. Bearing surfaces, hinge pins. This will help your new O/U break in quicker & be easier to open & at the same time prevent galling of the surfaces. Hope this makes sense. Colonel

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Colonel - yes, galling is very bad! I've oiled it well, work it every morning, and then replace the oil.

It's easy to do because the thing is so nicely balanced. Shot my first 50 rounds through it Sunday morning (10 were patterning). Never thought I'd have a sore shoulder - but I'm still getting the mount correct. It got away from me a few times from mounting incorrectly. Practice makes perfect.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts