Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been known to wipe the soot off the outside of dirty hulls with a silicone gun cloth (recharged occasionally with PURE silicon spray), but putting them through a tumbler seems akin to ironing underwear or slathering "Armor-All" on tires.

Mike

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
I've considered buying one of those extra large Dillon shell cheaners and media seperators. I know old grubby shells (700X) don't pop out of the chamber in my Ljutic like new shells, and the chamber requires more cleaning. Does anyone do this? It seems like it would be an easy chore.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I have the big tumbler and tried it on some shells for Cowboy Shooting. (Now those babies NEED to be slick or they will not drop out of the SxS fast.)

Anyway, hulls are a PITA. You need to get the media out of them and even with the "squirrel cage" cleaner it takes a bit of time. Then they have this fine dust on them.

I wound up using once fired hulls for CAS and wiping them down with Armor-all or Silicone.

For trap I have loaded AA's over 10 times with no need to clean them. At the rate we use them up cleaning by hand doesn't make sense.

If you want clean hulls, pick up Top Guns (thousands available for free) load them once and pitch them.

Don

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Forget it. I have the big Dillon vibrator and the separator thingy. The corn cob media gets stuck inside around the primer hole and they'll be covered in dust. I ended up throwing away the hulls I tried it on. The walnut media would be very dusty.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Johnny, just don't use the corn cob media; a bowl of uncooked rice will polish things nearly as well without the clingyiosity....Bob Dodd

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
BDodd: Do you really clean all your hulls? And does rice really work? I'm a little confused. Are we talking about shotgun shells or brass? It seems corn media would get stuck in brass primer holes also? Likewise, dust would get on brass as well as plastic, I suppose?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I know that hulls are too delicate to wash in the washing machine. I use the wife's toothbrush and a mild detergent (Simple Green). Works great but does take a little time.

Rock

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.