Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody tried to put the Birchwood shell catcher on a 870 or model 12. I use them on my auto's because I have a hard time with my legs picking up shells. The guns look like they would take one pretty easily.

·
Premium Member
11,833 Posts
When I started shooting trap I used a Remington Model 31, a precursor to the 870, I believe. I never used a shell catcher. What I did was, when opening the action, developed a habit of moving my right hand over the ejection port to catch the shell. Might not work so well if you are left handed, however.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Singles with a pump, Open action, drop shell into ejection port, close action, call for bird, shoot bird, open action with your hand over the action to catch the empty shell, and place in pouch. You can practice at home with an empty hull, and it will soon be second nature.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'm a lefty that likes to run pumps for trap; with proper placement of my right hand on the forend, I'm able to use my right thumb and extend it back so it prevents the hull from fully ejecting. I can then use my left hand to remove the hull, place it in my bag, and insert a new round :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts