Trapshooters Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just wondering how common this gun hold is? Specifically on post 1 and 5. If you setup for a straight away on 1 and 5, all your moves would be either vertical, or to the left (post 1), and right (post 5). Sometimes if Im on the corner of the house and get a straight away on post 1 and 5 I sometimes blow by them horizontally with too much gun movement.
While there are apparently people who do use that hold, I would not say that it is common. I have taken clinics/lessons from several All Americans and have watched videos from others and I have not heard that gun hold favoring the straightaway suggested. I like to center my visual field over the gun so I hold the gun where i look. I don't feel a need to look for the straightaway in particular because I find it relatively easy to visually acquire and lock on that particular target.

I would be cautious about moving to an uncommon gun hold point to cover up for a tendency to "blow by" straightaways. I think that if you work on visually locking onto the target you could solve that "blow by" problem without making the hard angles more difficult.

In the end you must choose a style and then master it.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
What works for me:
Post 1 I hold to the left of the straight away about half way to the corner.
Post 2 I hold for the straight away
Post 3 I hold for the straight away
Post 4 I hold just inside of the right corner
Post 5 I hold just above the right corner on the line of the hard right.

Height depends on how the targets are flying. Normally, about half way up of the peak of the target. Lower at the corners.
A few times on the house when the targets were very flat due to a tail wind.

Jason

·
Registered
53 Posts
Trap is a game of mathematical probability. On station 5 for example find the point on the trap house where the straight target appears then identify the point where the hard right appears. Divide those two points in half and extend the mid point line to your desired starting hold point above the trap (if you are using two eyes) This becomes your hold point on Station 5. In theory half the targets will appear to the left of this point and half will appear to the right. A great majority statistically will appear in the area under your barrel and will require little movement to break them.

If you are on post 5 (or post 1) and draw the hard angled target no matter where you start your gun (within reason) you will still require to swing from behind the target to break it. Holding just for the straight away on posts 5 and 1 isn't technically correct in my opinion, however if you are too far out on the edge of the trap you will have to shoot across the line of the straight target therefore making this a "risky" shot.

Everyone has their own technique and there are many variables such as experience, reflexes, eye sight, gun set up etc etc. One thing is for sure, no technique is perfect for all.

Russell Mark

·
Registered
135 Posts
Trap is a game of mathematical probability.

Russell Mark
I always thought that too, I'm "probably" going to get 4 hard rights on 5 and 4 hard lefts on 1.

I always refer back to my ancient Ken Robertson VHS tape. He discusses foot position, gun hold and eye hold for each station. It is a great foundation and I do not vary much from his teaching.

wg

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I use a pretty standard setup except on post 3 ,I hold to the left of center about a third of the way to the left edge,that little dink left angle is my kryptonite if I hold in the middle seems like I don't track it well and am always behind it..works for me. Jerry

21 - 25 of 25 Posts