Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In an effort to provide the shooters at our club with the best possible target presentation I'm wondering if anyone could tell me how I would go about setting the target speed with a chronograph. I can't get the b.o.d. to buy a radar gun and have my own chronograph I could use if I knew how to go about it. What would the f.p.s need to be for setting singles as well as doubles target's? Thanks in advance..Hugo "Moe" Rinke

·
Registered
50 Posts
The f.p.s for Handicap & singles targets: 67ft/sec min. 69ft/sec max.
For Doubles set the single target to 76ft/sec min. 79ft/sec max. then switch to throw doubles without changing the spring tension

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
You used to be able to purchase a bracket to put the chrony on. The bracket slid on the Pat Trap somehow and worked pretty slick.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If anyone knows of where I could get one of those brackets I would sure appreciate knowing where I could get one. Thanks to all...."Moe"

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
The Michigan Trapshooting Association has at least three of the brackets (and the chronographs to mount on them) at Mason.

They haven't used them recently, and might be willing to sell or loan a bracket or a set.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I think the bracket he's referring to is a "PatPal", available from "Target Shotguns" (Bob Schultes) that advertises here. They'll hold either a radar gun or a ProChrono chronograph and slide right on the plate on a Pat Trap.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Could be Neil, I bought one of 'em a few years ago along with a 3600 radar gun from Bob, just checked his website and I don't see 'em advertised there anymore?

John

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
How do you get a reading from a chronograph if it's on a tripod BEHIND the house?

later edit; OK, I see. You're using a chronograph with remote screens, the screens are in front of the house while the unit itself is behind? I was thinking of a ProChrono which is a self contained unit.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I bought a PatPal from the above mentioned Target Shotguns. It will work with redar gun or chronograph. It mounts to the front edge of the target launch plate. I stand behind the machine in the house and adjust the speed while observing the readout of the chronograph. Chrono is held on the bracket via a small bungee cord. The speed reading is read as the target leaves the arm.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll get a hold of Bob and see if I can get a PatPal from him. One of our members who is also on the b.o.d. sells on a regular basis the carts for the Canterbury's. Might make him more willing to cough up the funds for the PatPal as a gesture of good faith for all the business Bob has given him (even though he was against buying a radar gun). Thanks Tom for advising me of the M.T.A. having a few they might be willing to sell. Only problem there is finding someone on the board that would be willing to authorize that motion. I also just Googled "setting clay targets with a chronograph" and found a very interesting and informative bit of info researched and tested by Neil. That was very helpful as well and really appreciate your efforts Neil. I still say it would be nice if these articles could be made more available to a larger readership through one of the trapshooting mag's. Would make for much more interesting reading then some of the current mumbo jumbo. Thanks once again and Happy New Year to all!

·
Registered
229 Posts
michmoe,

If you can not find a chronograph bracket and have access to a 1/2 inch conduit bender you can make your own from a Slow Moving Sign bracket. Bend a 90 degree down then bend the flat part of the bracket 90 degrees so you have a "S" shape.

Drill out one of the holes in the flattened part of the bracket to fit a 1/4 x 20 thumb screw to mount into the chronograph base. I used a Pro Chronograph. Add some black electrical tape to the end of the conduit for a snug fit to the bottom of the Pat Trap throw plate.

Cost is around $4 at your local farm supply store or you can order on line from ACS Agri Supply for $2.49 part number 12379

Link to ACS http://www.agrisupply.com/vb-spade-blade-support/p/12379/&utm_source=SSIDE&utm_medium=NaturalSS&utm_campaign=SSIDE/

(edit) throw away the dovetail pieces

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
Can't believe the Board would not buy a Radar Gun. Need tools to run the business. Like a carpenter without the right tools to do the job.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts