Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw a post on Facebook with a person upset that a White Flyer (not bio) target that had multiple hits but didn't come apart.
This is why you sand your arms every day before a shoot. The centrifugal force is what breaks the target apart when shot hits it. The spin is also what makes a target fly more true in the air. No spin equals a knuckleball target which jumps around like a fart on a hot skillet!
Setting targets is not that hard, just some basics. The 50 yard stake is DEAD! Get radar gun and set them correctly.
They are not $2 targets anymore.

·
Registered
21,597 Posts
Neil Winston wrote;

—————————————————-
Ted, one of the profitable ways to guess whether a proposition is true is to think "What else will I have to believe if I believe this?"

Let's take your proposition that there's no difference in the probability of a target breaking whether its RPM is 1500 or 2000.

While the data are yet not certain enough to post the results so people can view the video and judge for themselves, it looks, on the basis on one test, like the effect of sanding the rubber is a lot -really a lot - smaller than the difference between the two numbers you have suggested. So if you are right we must also conclude that generations of target setters have been wasting their time sanding trap arms and countless arms have been worn down to nothing in pursuit yet another common-sense, yet phantom, will-'o-the-wisp.

It's quite possible that is true. It is also possible, on the other hand, that every little bit of spin counts. Probably not when the target is "well hit," but rather when just a pellet or two taps the bird and we need that target to win the event ...

For our summer season of blockbusters, Ron and I will post some amazing video of those minimum-pellet-hit cases. I'm sure you will find them interesting.

Neil

Jun 8, 2011Report
Thank

———————————————————

The information is out there.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
"dikohn " (post 1 ) , I have news for you ! A - the 50 yard stake is NOT DEAD ! B -What ever is on Facebook ,most of the time is rubbish ! C - I do not know many places that Quote :"sand your arms every day before a shoot " . Did that person on FB say when they shot at the target ? Yes ,you can have targets with multible hits ,but could have 10 different reasons why the target did not break . The spin is one of them . How about the targets are not dry enough , or just got hit by a few BB's from the outer part of the patern , aka less energy . An other possibility woud be ,that the targets did not show enough "face" ,that means you see the ring . If you "dig " around here in very old threads ,you might find postings why Remington ( I belive ) had to replace all targets during prelim. week at the Grand in Vandalia .

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
You could do what my home club does with 1 of their Pat Traps, no need for a 10 yard stake since we don't have a "T" bar. No radar gun or angle plate, no one knows what they are. The 50 yard stake was mowed down decades ago. There are no boundary stakes so they eyeball it.

Since we don't have voice calls, you wait for someone to become available from the Sporting side and they'll pull for you, sorta. Just because it looks like a 6' target doesn't mean you don't shoot them.

I watched as the manager had a 6 man squad taught to shoot trap.

Interesting to say the least.

Pat

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
If it's centrifugal force that causes the clays to break when the pellets hit them why can i set one up 30yards out on a log and it shatters when hit. Gee wiz. Just another excuse for people's misses. Targets jump around for many factors. A slightest breeze 10 ft off the ground is enough to make the bird stay low or loft up into outer space. Ever shot when a good breeze was at your back?Makes for very challenging birds. You can set up a trap to throw perfectly on a perfectly still day. But the wind changes that drastically.
Happy sunday!

·
Registered
336 Posts
I don’t know. I’ve dropped them and they usually break if they hit something even relatively hard. Heck I’ve seen new boxes opened with broken targets in there. I’ve also seen plenty of breaks come right out of the machine. I guess what I’m saying is if I pull the trigger, the gun goes boom and the target doesn’t break I probably did something wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it's centrifugal force that causes the clays to break when the pellets hit them why can i set one up 30yards out on a log and it shatters when hit. Gee wiz. Just another excuse for people's misses. Targets jump around for many factors. A slightest breeze 10 ft off the ground is enough to make the bird stay low or loft up into outer space. Ever shot when a good breeze was at your back?Makes for very challenging birds. You can set up a trap to throw perfectly on a perfectly still day. But the wind changes that drastically.
Happy sunday!
The higher the spin speed (RPM) on a target the better it will break/come apart. A black ball break vs. A target that just breaks.
Also the higher RPM the truer the target will fly especially in windy conditions.
I sand my trap arms enough that a target will run 4 to 5 feet when it hits the ground (firm soil, no weeds or grass).

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Earl Scripture's club threw blueprint targets.I asked him what was the secret.He said 3 things
Maintenance -Maintenance- Maintenance..All 100% ATA spects at the time.Yes, sanding the arm was part of it
These traps at the time were win.1524..

·
Registered
31,768 Posts
Everybody thinks they are a great target setter. It’s a big problem at a lot of clubs.

And then you have the first squad out who wants the targets reset, because they “are too low,” after watching them use a 10’ hoop and a stake at 50 yards.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
If the pattern of bb's isn't centered on a clay bird no matter the rotational spin of this disc you won't ever get ink balls. Period. Dlkohn, why does it matter how far a clay disc travels on hard ground after it has landed. Trap is still the game where we shoot them mid air right. Things haven't changed due to covid have they?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If the pattern of bb's isn't centered on a clay bird no matter the rotational spin of this disc you won't ever get ink balls. Period. Dlkohn, why does it matter how far a clay disc travels on hard ground after it has landed. Trap is still the game where we shoot them mid air right. Things haven't changed due to covid have they?
The amount of distance a target travels after hitting the ground shows how much spin the target has on it.
Spin equals stability and with targets hitting that $40 mark per 100 shooters deserve the best quality target you can throw for them. It really makes a difference in doubles.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Everybody thinks they are a great target setter. It’s a big problem at a lot of clubs.
That is huge problem, a lot people don't understand how a trap works or they don't know the rules for setting targets or they don't know how to use a radar gun or a digital level.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
Spin equals stability and with targets hitting that $40 mark per 100 shooters deserve the best quality target you can throw for them. It really makes a difference in doubles.
so when you miss one are you pleased that the bird infact did travel 4 to 5 ft after it landed? I get what you are trying to get at, but I guess i like tough targets. best targets money can buy are the ones I break.I like the challenge. It is more satisfying to break 100 tough targets than easy no brainer birds. I could never bring myself to blame that the trap setter didnt have the RPM's turned up on the birds i missed.

·
Registered
21,597 Posts
For super spinners we need a throwing arm like a scimitar blade. Throwing surface curved to add length. Get them clays spinning so fast they levitate.

Reactions: ThatsmeKB

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Sometimes you just have to accept the fact that, life just is not fair.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, The point is you are never going make everyone happy but when people pay $36 to $40 for targets plus $28 shells plus travel they deserve the best target you can throw them. If people want to be lazy ass target setters and say that is 'good enough' or my personal favorite 'we have always done it that way' that is wrong and it turns people off.
In this day and age of shooting we are trying get more people to shoot so why not make their experience enjoyable where they will want to come back and support your club.
I personally have some clubs that will not return to because they set terrible targets and they don't care.
Better targets leads to better scores that leads to happier shooters. End result your club gets returning shooters that spend money that keeps your club running.
Not rocket science people.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts