Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m just wondering, I was shooting in Nashville today, the wind was measured at SSW at 20 mph. With the trap set at 22 degrees they never got above the trap house. For registered targets, is the requirement for them to fly at 22 degree elevation or the trap to be set at 22 degrees.? I adjusted the trap to get a more normal target but I was just practicing.

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
10 yards out from the target on the trap machine the target height should be close to 9 to 10 feet and fly about 50 yards to the center stake.reset the targets when the wind changes and the machine throws a illegal target.
22 good starting point. Wind may cause an adjustment. The aloawable adjust from 22degees should give you an opportunity to present a good target. Shooting in gusty winds make it impossible to please.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Might I recommend when setting targets in the wind, especially in a head or tail wind that you set up the tee bar on at least one trap and get the proper height according to the ATA rule book which is 8' to 10', most set at 9' at the 10 yard stake. You can then measure the angle of the throw plate and set the rest of the traps the same way. Too often setters and shooters look at the apex of the target to gauge the height setting which is incorrect. What sometimes looks like an extremely high target in a head wind may not be as far off at the 10 yard stake as you think.

Steve R

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
You should only use an angle meter after setting with a t-bar and confirming the degree. You need to make sure the trap is set in the house correctly and not arbitrarily pick an angle that might work somewhere else.

·
Registered
966 Posts
At my club we use a radar gun,angle meter ,T bar and the fifty foot stake.We try to set the best targets for the shooters including me.We change the brushes and sand the arms on the trap machines.We set the angles using the space bar for the Pat trap.All these are checked often .We shoot White Flyers..

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
On a windy day a trap can get pretty far out of adjustment if there's not a target setter checking it frequently.
It's good practice to shoot those wild targets.
How much does practice cost at Nashville?
Henry

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On a windy day a trap can get pretty far out of adjustment if there's not a target setter checking it frequently.
It's good practice to shoot those wild targets.
How much does practice cost at Nashville?
Henry

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
$6.00 a round for members, $12.00 for non-members

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it that bad? now I've got to find a new picture, maybe a plaid flannel button-down. Love the crown!

Thanks

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Tightwad,
You don't mention what speed the targets were set to. That should be your first adjustment. I find it hard to believe that a 20 mph wind would not let the targets clear the trap house height. Someone must not have had much speed on the arm. Also, with doubles you are obviously throwing 2 targets so more spring tension is needed. On a PAT trap one must add 5-7 turns on the spring/band to get close to the correct speed; assuming the single target speed was correct in the first place. Just the added speed would bring the target height up.
After the speed is set, then you can work on the height. Good luck with the ravine; don't lose your footing!!

Is Terry Hedrick still there as the manager??

Scott Hanes

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Setting targets to a 21.5 or 22 degree angel is an "illness " that's wide spread . The "old way " 10 yard out ,10 feet plus/minus and a T-bar adjusted for the ground in front of the trap works just fine in most cases .You allways need to adjust for tail or head wind . Now I have a question for "tightwad " : How many rounds you have to shoot to break even ,with other words what is the membership fee for a year ? I do not think that I ever have seen a club that charges twice as much for nonmember .

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tightwad,
You don't mention what speed the targets were set to. That should be your first adjustment. I find it hard to believe that a 20 mph wind would not let the targets clear the trap house height. Someone must not have had much speed on the arm. Also, with doubles you are obviously throwing 2 targets so more spring tension is needed. On a PAT trap one must add 5-7 turns on the spring/band to get close to the correct speed; assuming the single target speed was correct in the first place. Just the added speed would bring the target height up.
After the speed is set, then you can work on the height. Good luck with the ravine; don't lose your footing!!

Is Terry Hedrick still there as the manager??

Scott Hanes
SCott,

I didn't have radar to use but the first thing I did was put 5 additional cranks on the "big rubber bands". I think sometimes someone will have the speed lowered for a kid who's a new shooter. I was the only one shooting so the trap hadn't been reset since yesterday.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Setting targets to a 21.5 or 22 degree angel is an "illness " that's wide spread . The "old way " 10 yard out ,10 feet plus/minus and a T-bar adjusted for the ground in front of the trap works just fine in most cases .You allways need to adjust for tail or head wind . Now I have a question for "tightwad " : How many rounds you have to shoot to break even ,with other words what is the membership fee for a year ? I do not think that I ever have seen a club that charges twice as much for nonmember .
Dues at that club are $300 per year. I'm a member at another club where each member gets their own key and you can come shoot anytime you want. The dues there are $150 a year and practice rounds are $5.00.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts