Trapshooters Forum banner

Semiauto Question

1386 Views 12 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  TrapFail
The other day at league the shell in my semiauto Beretta flipped completely around and ejected primer side first on the shell catcher. This happened twice and it's never done that before. Is this a freak thing or am I doing something wrong? Is something wrong with the gun?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
6,259 Posts
Don't do this on the line, but when you get a chance, try it; shoot it without the shell catcher on (or with the wire arm down, if a B/C.) What power level shells? I had some of the hot Handicap/Annie loads I used to make sail right through the Birchwood Casey wire.

· Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't do this on the line, but when you get a chance, try it; shoot it without the shell catcher on (or with the wire arm down, if a B/C.) What power level shells? I had some of the hot Handicap/Annie loads I used to make sail right through the Birchwood Casey wire.
7.5 and 8. 1145 and 1180 Estates. Low power stuff.

· Registered
960 Posts
I think mostly what DGH said but it very well could be the wear on the catcher. The auto bolt grabs the shell on the rim of the brass on only ejection port side so there is a natural rotation imparted to the shell When the bolt pulls it rearwar. The catcher would typically constrain the shell and rotation to the receiver. Looks like your catcher is allowing it to turn 180 degrees in the process. Thinking a new catcher would solve but practically speaking if it still catches play on!

· Registered
110 Posts
The other day at league the shell in my semiauto Beretta flipped completely around and ejected primer side first on the shell catcher. This happened twice and it's never done that before. Is this a freak thing or am I doing something wrong? Is something wrong with the gun?
Sorry, didn't mean to quote cleboje !!
Be happy it caught the shell.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.