Trapshooters Forum banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Thinking of just trap think Slide might be closer with the BT-99 being the king, was really popular for many years, still is I think.

·
Banned
684 Posts
I started registered in 1969 and have shot in 30 different state shoots, Las Vegas many times, San Antonio many times, pigeons, sporting and skeet in other words I have been around and nobody on this site can prove or disprove the actual truth so calm down.
Well I’ll be darned ain’t that something !!!!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Main reason im looking is to reduce recoil, so that is a very important aspect to keep in mind
Sounds like your main concern is recoil. If that’s the case, understand that there’s a lot of things you can do to your current gun to reduce recoil if it’s one you shoot well.

If you’re looking for out right reduced recoil, find someone who has an old Browning Recoilless and give it a try. Single shot bolt action with the recoil of a 22 long rifle. I have two, shoot them frequently, have no issues with repairs or breakage—but I keen them clean and serviced.

·
Premium Member
Brownings
837 Posts
Sounds like your main concern is recoil. If that’s the case, understand that there’s a lot of things you can do to your current gun to reduce recoil if it’s one you shoot well.

If you’re looking for out right reduced recoil, find someone who has an old Browning Recoilless and give it a try. Single shot bolt action with the recoil of a 22 long rifle. I have two, shoot them frequently, have no issues with repairs or breakage—but I keen them clean and serviced.
But are there any for sale?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Sure there are some for sale and often at good prices as they are simply not very popular. I picked one up to play with it from a guy that had not been able to sell it. Got it for a good low price. The trigger pull is horrendous and it does have less recoil recoil than many 12 gauges but it is way the heck more than a .22 long rifle.

·
Ya can't miss with a shotgun
2,883 Posts
I can’t believe nobody has mentioned the High Standard Supermatic C1200 with twin bead free floating ventilated rib, cross-bolt safety, white line spacers, and deluxe recoil pad...... the best semi-auto in the Whole Wide World!

·
Banned
684 Posts
I can’t believe nobody has mentioned the High Standard Supermatic C1200 with twin bead free floating ventilated rib, cross-bolt safety, white line spacers, and deluxe recoil pad...... the best semi-auto in the Whole Wide World!

HEEHEEHEE That’s a good one Jaburg !!!!!!

·
Registered
33,659 Posts
Another vote for Winchester, including Model 50, SX1, SX2, SX3 etc.

Beretta 303 (easiest to clean and functions well)

SKB 900 XL. My wife had 2 of these and loved them.

Most hard to find, especially in Trap models, but soft shooters.

I have a XLR Velocity, and like it.

My next would be a Butler.

·
Premium Member
1,606 Posts
So how does one know when to change the recoil spring on an A400 Xcel? I just bought one and absolutely adore it.

·
Registered
14,967 Posts
Weight and balance, recoil, parts and service, and reliability = 391. The Butler has less recoil, is heavier, and cost about $5000 more, but is reliable and the shell catcher can catch 2 shells (Doubles), and has an adjustable rib up to 100%. The steel version weighs over 10 pounds, or at least mine does. Aluminum frame gun is suppose to be 9 pounds. My 391 weighs in at 8.5 pounds

Most won't invest $7000 in an semi auto, but the Butler is more than an semi auto. I shot a 1100 in trap for a year, and the cleaning and parts to keep it running got old, and they naturally shoot too flat.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
What Tron and Slickhead said.....
I vote for the AL-301/302 and 303 Beretta's
Reliable, easy to work on and clean and good parts availability.

·
Banned
200 Posts
If you know or think you will stick with Trap go with a single shot designed specifically for that. If your not sure get a quality O/U OR something like a Remington 1100 or Beretta 390/391.

·
Premium Member
1,606 Posts
I had a 391 Optima Sport before my Xcel and I feel the A400 is a better gun. That would be my choice. It cycles so fast you can barely feel it and that’s the main thing I like over the 391.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Weight and balance, recoil, parts and service, and reliability = 391. The Butler has less recoil, is heavier, and cost about $5000 more, but is reliable and the shell catcher can catch 2 shells (Doubles), and has an adjustable rib up to 100%. The steel version weighs over 10 pounds, or at least mine does. Aluminum frame gun is suppose to be 9 pounds. My 391 weighs in at 8.5 pounds

Most won't invest $7000 in an semi auto, but the Butler is more than an semi auto. I shot a 1100 in trap for a year, and the cleaning and parts to keep it running got old, and they naturally shoot too flat.
My aluminum receiver Buter with the shell catcher and ajustable LOP buttplate weighs 9 pounds 4 ounces. Remove those and the weight would be 9 pounds or a little under.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts