Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Went out to the local club yesterday afternoon and took my Beretta Multi Target to shoot. Haven't shot it since last summer. Was breaking birds big time. Another fellow asked what it was who shoots an 1100 Trap. Told him take it out and shoot 25 with it. So he did from the 16 yard line. Needless to say when he was finished he had a big smile on his face. His exact words were WOW. I'm going to have to look into one of these. Yeah there that good of a gun.
One other thing. He asked me if I would consider selling it. No

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yeah, but you need a bag of parts and a backup gun if you REALLY want to compete with one....there, I said it.
This is true, you need a ring set, a link, firing pin, recoil spring and a spare trigger group as a rule. I actually have never broken a firing pin, but I have broken the rest as well as had the receiver crack behind the slot for the operating handle.

I'm pretty sure the Model 12 has broken more, and I'd bet there are more broken by Perazzis than 1100's. There are lots of old Perazzis and most of the guys shooting them shot a lot of targets per year.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I shot an 1100 Trap for years, and loved it. They do need a little TLC to keep them running. My daughter shoots an A400 Parallel Target. Great gun. I would probably give the nod to the Beretta. If I were to start shooting an auto again, I believe I would shoot a Beretta.

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts
Best built auto has to be the Winchester SX1. Will shoot forever with very little maintenance.
A recoil spring and bolt buffer.
And they shoot very well.

Next would have to be the 301 -302-303 series Berettas
They Shoot extremely well. Doesn't break very often as well as very easy to clean. Parts are readily available most anywhere.
Fantastic trap guns as well as sporting.
Needs a recoil spring replaced once a year.

Remington 1100!! You need a lot of extra parts and you need to be Gunsmith to keep them working.
If you are a serious shooter you need two because you are going to need a spare.
Great shooting guns!
Very barrel heavy.
Soft shooters!
No I don't own a 1100 and don't need a auto that has to have that much maintenance to keep it shooting

·
Registered
860 Posts
1100's have broken more clay targets than any model 12 because for years the 1100 was a hot trapgun but skeet was dominated by the 1100 , conclusion is yes, 1100 is the king. I contributed at least 50,000 of em too and got my 27 yard pin with one.

·
Registered
10,964 Posts
1100's have broken more clay targets than any model 12 because for years the 1100 was a hot trapgun but skeet was dominated by the 1100 , conclusion is yes, 1100 is the king. I contributed at least 50,000 of em too and got my 27 yard pin with one.
Nonsense . The Model 12 was breaking trap targets for HALF a Century before the 1100 ever even came on the scene ! Even In in the 1100's hey day you saw a lot more Model12s and 870s on the line than you ever did 1100s. Yes the 1100 WAS king on skeet fields for about "20 years" before Tubes took over but ,pump guns were king from 1923 ( when Skeet was invented ) until the 1100 came on the scene in 1963. After the mid 1980s 4 barrel sets and later tube sets ruled the skeet fields.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Nonsense . The Model 12 was breaking trap targets for HALF a Century before the 1100 ever even came on the scene ! Even In in the 1100's hey day you saw a lot more Model12s and 870s on the line than you ever did 1100s. Yes the 1100 WAS king on skeet fields for about "20 years" before Tubes took over but ,pump guns were king from 1923 ( when Skeet was invented ) until the 1100 came on the scene in 1963. After the mid 1980s 4 barrel sets and later tube sets ruled the skeet fields.
Yes but there are twice as many 1100's and they are still making them. Theres a reason Winchester is out of business. Remington...

·
Registered
860 Posts
tncriswell is correct, I shot in those days and we shot a lot less than now, I shot a 1,000 bird marathon in Cheyenne with the 1100.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
What is everyone's opinion on the best semi auto trap gun out there?

Main reason im looking is to reduce recoil, so that is a very important aspect to keep in mind
Best semi-auto out there ? Best can have a lot of categories, reliable , customer support, parts available, ease of maintenance, fit and finish. Both Remington and Beretta make a nice gun.
Reduce recoil my 11-87 and 1100 both have C & H Mercury recoil reducer in magazine tubes and a tungsten weight in stock. Soft shooting YES
I think you need to Shoot a Remington 1100 and Beretta 400 one after another and see what you like and the features you like so get a Current Production Guns a Remington 1100 and Beretta 400 and shoot a few targets with each.
Enjoy your new Gun and Good Shooting.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Remington synthetic 1100 competition ($1200)or if you have an extra $8000 laying around maybe, a Butler. Oh! there is an Automatic made in England I believe, I can't recall the name but it sells for around $20,000, or so I've heard. But. I don't know if it's worth a dam.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
The English gun might be the Cosmi? Rare for sure. I have an 1100 competition, a 390 super trap, 391 in 3 different configurations, and an XLR Fabarms. All are good in one way or another. If Butler did not exist, I would vote for the 1100 competition and it would do fine.

But I also have a early run of 2nd generation Butler's, and hands down it is the softest shooting gun of the bunch...period. It feels heavy to just pick up and handle, but once you mount it, it moves to the target exceptionally well. I am not a AAA shooter, but start feeling that way when I shoot the Butler. They also offer aluminum receivers now, not having shot one not sure how that would be. I am a happy conventional receiver owner.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I like my Beretta A400 XCel. I've drooled over the A400 Multitarget, and maybe someday.
All my friends who've tried my A400 liked it.
"Best" is a very subjective call.

·
Registered
10,964 Posts
Yes but there are twice as many 1100's and they are still making them. Theres a reason Winchester is out of business. Remington...
They are still making 870s also and they have made a HECK o a LOT more of them than 1100s and the 870 has broken more targets than an 1100 ever thought about breaking. Like I said, I like the 1100 ,shot one for a long while, and still own one, but the statement they have broken more targets than any other gun is pure Bull ! The BT-99 came on the scene a couple of years later and I have seen literally THOUSANDS more BT-99s on the line in the last several years that I ever did 1100s !

·
Registered
860 Posts
I started registered in 1969 and have shot in 30 different state shoots, Las Vegas many times, San Antonio many times, pigeons, sporting and skeet in other words I have been around and nobody on this site can prove or disprove the actual truth so calm down.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts