Trapshooters Forum banner

semi auto trap

10K views 70 replies 47 participants last post by  888eq 
#1 ·
What is everyone's opinion on the best semi auto trap gun out there?

Main reason im looking is to reduce recoil, so that is a very important aspect to keep in mind

#6 ·
Semi-auto's are great but you will have to have spare parts as they do not function sometimes. Normally when your at a registered shoot. I've owned Remington 1100's, 11-87, Browning and currently own a Beretta 391 AL. They all have malfunctioned and needed parts. I currently own a Perazzi TM1 with a counter coil reduction and have had no problems over the last 10 years. If you have a break open that fits you, you shoot well with it I would think about putting a recoil reducer on it. I've owned a Kreighoff KS5 Special with a RAD II which also has the LOP and worked great for recoil reduction. There are a lot of different recoil reduction systems on the market. You might ask folks at your Club to see what they like or you maybe able to shoot. I think it would be less expense to put a recoil reduction system on the gun you use the most. There are plenty of gunsmith's including this site who can install one. Just a thought.

#7 ·
Haha this thread is already a classic!

OP asks what is the best semi-auto for Trap

Responder 1 - Brand A is best
Responder 2 - Brand B is best
Responder 3 - Brand C is best
Responder 4 - Forget the OP’s question, use this instead.

I’ve been on a 3 hour conference call that’s still going, so this was good for a laugh.

#9 ·
I like the Remington 1100 but the Beretta 303, 390, 391, and A400 are excellent. The thing about the autos is that 99% of the time if something breaks you can fix it yourself. Just stock a few of the parts you might need. Midwest, Midway, and Brownells have about anything you could ever need,
reasonable prices and fast delivery. Any O/U or single barrel breaks, brace yourself for a big repair bill and being without your gun for weeks, if not months.

#14 ·
A few weeks back, I had the opportunity to compare my Remington V3 Field Sport Synthetic to a friend's Beretta A300 Outlander Synthetic. We exchanged every 5 shots in order to compare back to back. He was using 1-1/8 oz and I was using 1 oz loads. Of the two shotguns, we independently agreed that the V3 had a distinctly softer recoil. YMMV

The V3 also has the option of a shell catcher: V3 Shotgun Shell Catcher for Trap Shooting | eBay
Caveat- I've purchased it, but have not yet installed it so cannot provide a review. Just got a new Citori CX to play with so might be some time before I try the shell catcher on the V3 :)

#21 ·
Went out to the local club yesterday afternoon and took my Beretta Multi Target to shoot. Haven't shot it since last summer. Was breaking birds big time. Another fellow asked what it was who shoots an 1100 Trap. Told him take it out and shoot 25 with it. So he did from the 16 yard line. Needless to say when he was finished he had a big smile on his face. His exact words were WOW. I'm going to have to look into one of these. Yeah there that good of a gun.
One other thing. He asked me if I would consider selling it. No

#27 ·
I shot an 1100 Trap for years, and loved it. They do need a little TLC to keep them running. My daughter shoots an A400 Parallel Target. Great gun. I would probably give the nod to the Beretta. If I were to start shooting an auto again, I believe I would shoot a Beretta.

#28 ·
Best built auto has to be the Winchester SX1. Will shoot forever with very little maintenance.
A recoil spring and bolt buffer.
And they shoot very well.

Next would have to be the 301 -302-303 series Berettas
They Shoot extremely well. Doesn't break very often as well as very easy to clean. Parts are readily available most anywhere.
Fantastic trap guns as well as sporting.
Needs a recoil spring replaced once a year.

Remington 1100!! You need a lot of extra parts and you need to be Gunsmith to keep them working.
If you are a serious shooter you need two because you are going to need a spare.
Great shooting guns!
Very barrel heavy.
Soft shooters!
No I don't own a 1100 and don't need a auto that has to have that much maintenance to keep it shooting

#30 ·
Nonsense . The Model 12 was breaking trap targets for HALF a Century before the 1100 ever even came on the scene ! Even In in the 1100's hey day you saw a lot more Model12s and 870s on the line than you ever did 1100s. Yes the 1100 WAS king on skeet fields for about "20 years" before Tubes took over but ,pump guns were king from 1923 ( when Skeet was invented ) until the 1100 came on the scene in 1963. After the mid 1980s 4 barrel sets and later tube sets ruled the skeet fields.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.