semi auto trap | Trap Shooters Forum
  1. Recently members have been receiving an email about confirming their account. Do not click the link. If you have done so and entered your login information, change your password immediately, and ensure the email address on your account is correct. This is a phishing scam designed to take your login information. Details here: https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/confirmation-email-warning.694601/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Members are required to have 50 posts before using the Classifieds Area, or PM system to contact. Any subversion of these rules will result in action taken against your account. The rules are posted here: https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/rules-for-using-the-for-sale-by-members-want-to-buy-want-to-trade-sections.265247/
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

semi auto trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mdhunter, Jun 24, 2020.

1. mdhunter

mdhunter TS Member

What is everyone's opinion on the best semi auto trap gun out there?

Main reason im looking is to reduce recoil, so that is a very important aspect to keep in mind

2. pettifogger1

pettifogger1 Well-Known Member

The best is the Butler. It is a purpose built unsingle semi-auto trap gun. Also has the lightest recoil.

3. cmccoy76

cmccoy76 Well-Known Member Verified Youth Coach/Director

My vote would be the Remington 1100 competition. I have tried several other guns, but the 1100 is the gun I grab when I want to shoot a good score.

2llc, prairieviper, Jack R and 2 others thanked this.
  4. wingmaster78

wingmaster78 Well-Known Member Verified Youth Coach/Director

2nd the Remington!

5. 460Ford

460Ford Well-Known Member

The Beretta AL 391 is a pretty soft shooter.

MNGuns and CharlieAMA thanked this.
  6. abby1

abby1 Member

Semi-auto's are great but you will have to have spare parts as they do not function sometimes. Normally when your at a registered shoot. I've owned Remington 1100's, 11-87, Browning and currently own a Beretta 391 AL. They all have malfunctioned and needed parts. I currently own a Perazzi TM1 with a counter coil reduction and have had no problems over the last 10 years. If you have a break open that fits you, you shoot well with it I would think about putting a recoil reducer on it. I've owned a Kreighoff KS5 Special with a RAD II which also has the LOP and worked great for recoil reduction. There are a lot of different recoil reduction systems on the market. You might ask folks at your Club to see what they like or you maybe able to shoot. I think it would be less expense to put a recoil reduction system on the gun you use the most. There are plenty of gunsmith's including this site who can install one. Just a thought.

The Canuck, BadaBing11 and Candy B thanked this.
  7. Jaburg1

Jaburg1 Ya can't miss with a shotgun TS Supporters

Haha this thread is already a classic!

OP asks what is the best semi-auto for Trap

Responder 1 - Brand A is best
    Responder 2 - Brand B is best
    Responder 3 - Brand C is best
    Responder 4 - Forget the OP’s question, use this instead.

I’ve been on a 3 hour conference call that’s still going, so this was good for a laugh.

timb99, dws, 1100NUT and 7 others thanked this.
  8. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

The one you can get parts for the easiest\quickest. Local gunsmith\gunshop etc. they all do pretty much the same thing so service would be a major factor.

9. dickgtax

dickgtax Well-Known Member

I like the Remington 1100 but the Beretta 303, 390, 391, and A400 are excellent. The thing about the autos is that 99% of the time if something breaks you can fix it yourself. Just stock a few of the parts you might need. Midwest, Midway, and Brownells have about anything you could ever need,
    reasonable prices and fast delivery. Any O/U or single barrel breaks, brace yourself for a big repair bill and being without your gun for weeks, if not months.

10. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Any of the 300 series Berettas. They're the most reliable, best shooting autos ever made.

MDHyatt, acorange, timb99 and 13 others thanked this.
  11. mallard2

mallard2 Well-Known Member

Tron said it best. End of story.

MDHyatt, acorange and Tron thanked this.
  12. Donnie W

Donnie W Well-Known Member

The one that has a shell catcher.

mallard2 and CharlieAMA thanked this.
  13. elmer76

elmer76 Active Member

The one that bounces empty’s the hardest off the person standing next to you

MBM1565, The Canuck, rudolph and 2 others thanked this.
  14. elm3c

elm3c TS Member

A few weeks back, I had the opportunity to compare my Remington V3 Field Sport Synthetic to a friend's Beretta A300 Outlander Synthetic. We exchanged every 5 shots in order to compare back to back. He was using 1-1/8 oz and I was using 1 oz loads. Of the two shotguns, we independently agreed that the V3 had a distinctly softer recoil. YMMV

The V3 also has the option of a shell catcher: V3 Shotgun Shell Catcher for Trap Shooting | eBay
    Caveat- I've purchased it, but have not yet installed it so cannot provide a review. Just got a new Citori CX to play with so might be some time before I try the shell catcher on the V3 :)

15. rich gw

rich gw Active Member

Remington 1100 comp. or rem.1187 trap is what I have and I am shooting with a Pacemaker in my shooting shoulder ! oz Or 7/8 work fine just keep it clean install a good butt pad like kick-eez

16. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

Beretta 391. Call me for more info on these great guns. I can help

17. entropy

entropy Well-Known Member Verified Youth Coach/Director

1100 Competition Synthetic
    a400 Beretta or it's predecessors
    Sure, the Butler, too, but the other two are less expensive and easier to find.

18. Bowhunter41

Bowhunter41 Well-Known Member

Another vote for the Remington 1100 Competition. I have two

19. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

I have owned several. I love the 1100 and shot one for years. They are simple in operation and great pointers. They are also the easiest to clean. That said ,What Tron said about the 300 series does carry some weight. They are all pretty dependable . But I think the most reliable semi auto I ever shot was a Super X-1.

acorange, bossbasl and slickhead thanked this.
  20. justbrakeit

justbrakeit Active Member

1100 or the 303. Either with an adjustable comb.

I liked cleaning the 303 better but its personal preference.

pbansen thanked this.