Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Massachusetts. Can I legally sell a shotgun to a resident of a neighboring state? Example: could a New Hampshire resident come to my house and purchase my shotgun here in Massachusetts? Thanks

·
Registered
29,362 Posts
The sale must be legal in both States to buy a long gun in another State. MA says non residents cannot purchase firearms in MA.

Reactions: dale58

·
Registered
244 Posts
If both parties are legal residents of different states (i.e. drivers license's, file taxes, etc), the sale must go thru an FFL.

I recently made my mother aware of this as she's selling off some of my late Dad's guns. She's a resident of MI. However, she lives in a border town of WI. She can't sell to a WI resident without going thru an FFL although she's within a stones throw of WI.

DON'T risk it! The ATF will be on you & you'll lose your guns, freedom (jail), & fines!

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Dale,
Like others said, go through an FFL, they don't charge that much. I think North Shore by you is $25. or the other gun store down on Rt 1 by Lowell St. Did you finally sell the DT?
Steve

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Steve, not yet. Had some ask if they could drive to Massachusetts and just buy it and take it with them. Some say you can, and others say you can't. I wasn't sure.

·
Registered
473 Posts
To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?
A person may transfer a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his or her State, provided the transferor does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the transferee is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. There may be State laws that regulate intrastate firearm transactions. A person considering transferring a firearm should contact his or her State Attorney General’s Office to inquire about the laws and possible State or local restrictions.

Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a Federal firearms licensee (FFL) within the transferee’s State of residence. The transferee may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check.

A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he or she or she does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent.

A person may transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C 922(a)(5) and 922(d); 27 CFR 478.30, 478.32]

Last Reviewed September 23, 2016

To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I have bought a few guns at Kittery in Maine, and went over the bridge to the store front in NH and picked it up.

·
Registered
29,362 Posts
When all else fails you can find the ATF regs on line

§478.30 Out-of-State disposition of firearms by nonlicensees.
No nonlicensee shall transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any other nonlicensee, who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides: Provided, That the provisions of this section:

(a) shall not apply to the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or any acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his residence; and

(b) shall not apply to the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[T.D. ATF-313, 56 FR 32508, July 17, 1991; 57 FR 1205, Jan. 10, 1992]

Reactions: dale58
1 - 13 of 13 Posts