Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
If you have been in this game for any length of time you most likely sold a good trap gun and have seller remorse as you can not buy the gun back, or you just can't locate it.

Trap shooters in general seem to loose sight that the name of the game is breaking targets and some of us get rid of great guns then realize that we should have never sold the gun in the first place.

In my particular case I had an 1100 trap gun that I had numerous 99's with and my only 100 straight. I allowed a fellow shooter to talk me into trading the gun for a fancier model with great wood. Let's just say that if God was a trapshooter he'd probably be in class D shooting that replacement gun. I was blinded by the fancy wood I guess.

If you ever had a great shooting gun and got rid of it and now have buyers remorse, what particular gun was it?
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Geez, I've probably traded off more guns than most people will ever own. Out of these, there are several I wish I had kept: Artillery Luger, S&W M27, M29 4-screw, M625 3", M29 3", M25-3, M25-5, Model 48, several Model 53 Jets, several 5-screw K-22s, various 1911s and a Colt made 1927, Win Model 71, Win 1876, 2nd year Win 1886, Colt 9mm AR15, and probably more I've forgotten about.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Been there done that.

My first gun a bt99 that I got from a local gunsmith and My 1100 trap Shot 300 targets with the browning The first time I shot the 1100 was 100 straight.

I thought I was ready for the big league so I traded them (stupid ) I still wish I had them.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I had a nice collection of Springfield Trapdoor carbines, around 30. To buy my ex out of my military retirement, had to sell them. All went to a collector in Denver..

Van

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I carry the serial # of a built-up Model 12 in my wallet I parted with many moons ago. If I ever find it again, I hope the present owner wants to sell it or I'll consider "borrowing" it when he isn't looking. That gun was good to me and like a fool, I fell out of love and had to have another. Haven't found another that matched it since.

Big Jack

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Had to quit shooting for a while with health issues. Got rid of everything. When I got back in, I tried to locate my 870 TC & my custom reloader from 1957. Could not locate either. I was bummed out. There were many other trap guns also.

Clyde

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
My first dedicated trap gun was a Winchester 101 Diamond over/under that an old Air Force Colonel picked up direct from the factory in Japan. It had the most beautiful wood I have ever seen on a factory gun! I bought it from him, unfired, for $200 in 1968 or '69. Of course, I wish I had it back! By the way, I never noticed that it kicked that much.

This is only the most highly regretted "trap" gun out of consideration for the site. If I were to list all the guns that I regret selling or trading it would take all day! Martinpicker

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Steve, yeah, but on the other hand they were all traded for other guns I wanted. They're all pretty nice too.

Some of these were not scarce at the time I traded them off. Like the S&W 625 3". The following year they discontinued the 3" and only offered a 5" for over a decade, then added a 4".

Ditto the 3" 29. I wanted to get the same thing in a stainless 629. Right after I traded it the 629 became made of unobtainium. S&W started making them with the heavy underlug barrel and no fluting. I wanted the older barrel with fluted cylinder.

Both of these were large, but at least concealable with their 3" barrels.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
I sold a Remington 3200 Premier Grade 32" barrel Monte Carlo stock that had the optional more extensive Belgian hand engraving...most beautiful wood I've ever seen ..my grandfather bought from the PX at Ramstein AFB right before he retired....stupid stupid stoooopid

·
Registered
304 Posts
Steve,

Let me give you the other angle bird here. Is there a shotgun that you should
have sold, but did not as by dam you were going to make it shot to your liking.
Well, I did. It was a Savage Model 333T. I paid somewhere around a couple
hundred dollars for it. You talk about a ass kicker shotgun, well I did everything I could for less recoil, shot in the stock, recoil reducers,
loads etc. but that dam Savage kicked like all mighty hell. It gave me headaches every Wed. I went trap shooting.
After 5 years I had enough, I mentioned at the trap club it was for sale
and a fellow shooter offered me $250.00 cash. I grapped the cash and never looked back at the dam Savage. Now, I did sell this same guy my wooden ceder
strip duck boat. best duck boat ever built (some where in Wisconsin) I was
moving, duck hunting was going into steel shot and I was mad about that and sold it. Oh how I wish I had that Duck Boat back. It was a 15 footer and it had pointed front, and square back for a motor and coweling covered top.
Best duck boat every built or money could buy. You could sneek into the cattails or ride the white caps back home, but she did it all
This spring, come Hell or high water I am going to build another cedar strip
duck boat and come fall I cam going Duck Hunting.

Just my side of the story.

Birddog

·
Registered
424 Posts
I guess if I sold more of them I would regret it...but I do regret selling my Perazzi TMX Special...Serial #89725, soft comb and wood had been shortened way too much...but it shot like a champ. If anyone sees it, let me know, I'd like it back.

Chris

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
In 2006 I found it necessary to sell s few guns, those being my Winchester 21, my C. Sharps Long Range Express #1 in .45-120 and my Winchester Super Grade .458 Win. Mag. I needed the money, in hind sight I should have asked more for the 21 and the Super Grade, but it's water under the bridge now...oh, well.

Ron Burr

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I had a Lindner Daly SBT. It was the best made gun I ever saw. The action was so tight and so soothe that I have never seen its equal. It kicked the living crap out of me! When I finally got down to breaking 9 out of 25 and nursing a sore face AND shoulder, I decided to get rid of it. I often think about that gun and if I shouldn't have gotten it re-stocked etc. It was a work or art.

·
Registered
622 Posts
My father told me many years ago to never sell a gun. It's still good advice today. (Although I recently gave him a 20GA Parker for his birthday, but that's different-I think.)

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
I know the feeling but it always seems that when I want to buy something new, I have to sell the old to come up with some of the money. Cars, guns, whatever.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts