Trapshooters Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
I've only shot there twice even though they're only 50 minutes away.
It was probably 2 summers ago. That place is amazing !

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just curious- what courses throw very, very long targets. That must wreck people scores in NSCA events.
I don’t travel much to big shoots anymore but any big tournament in FL or TX will have more than their fair share. Tucson and Ben Avery can always have a few separator stations.
B&G is correct about the big (mostly young) boys getting better and better. I still shoot mostly local tournaments but have taken up trap for something different to do. Still fun to get out and work on those long crossers.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I prefer a fast load for clays also but I have found that 1 oz works just as well as 1 1/8 oz with less recoil. Currently loading 1 oz of Lawrence #8 in a 1 1/8 oz Winchester or Claybuster wad with 21.5 grains of Green Dot. Recoil is negligible , barrel stays fairly clean and I chronographed 5 of them at 1330/1340. Winchester W209 primer and all in a AAHS hull. Just saying.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I've only shot there twice even though they're only 50 minutes away.
It was probably 2 summers ago. That place is amazing !
You are welcome anytime. I'm not as good as I once was but you are welcome to shoot with me anytime.

I usually just train there so I'm not worried about score. Trying to get back what I lost. I'll practice for score at Buffer Creek or at M&M.

·
Registered
779 Posts
INTERNATIONAL CLAYS

Fortune does not favor the inattentive reloader
LOL so I was too lazy to type international. It's still a high nitroglycerine powder (as are all Clays powders). My advice is sound - I would be shocked if any Clays powder can produce that velocity (1390) with 1 ounce and not be over pressure. You're getting into Longshot and STEEL powder realms here, and even Longshot I'd be wary as it spikes like crazy. But hey, don't mind me and the money I've spent testing. You found this load data on the internet so it's gotta be OK!!

·
Premium Member
3,517 Posts
I see some of the 1300 + shooters are using 1 oz & not the 1 1/8 your looking for. To me the 1 oz load makes more sense. a club member turned me onto a box of the B&P F2 Mach 7 1/2s @ 1300fps, for some long yardage fool around one eve. I saw the B&P's boast a recoil reducing base wad, an unusual shell for sure. I was surprised at how comfortable they were to shoot. That said I have a heavy gun & recoil isn't much of an issue for me.This friend shoots the B&P's for everything from 16yrd singles to 5 stand & very well. To each his own but 1 1/8 loads at 1300 + for sporting clay's doesn't compute for me.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Bobsled, I reloaded Herco 1 1/8th at 1300 to replace the Winchester sporting load which was never available locally. I was using a Beretta 391 at the time and the recoil was tolerable. For practice and skeet I was using 1 oz 1300 to save money on shot, and powder.

What I discovered was that the breaks between the shells were the same. Turns out that the number of pellets in a 1 oz shell of 8s is slight more than a 1 1/8th of number 7.5s. Eventually I migrated to the 1oz load because when I added up cost, recoil, and results, I couldn't justify the 1 1/8th Herco load, so the 1 oz load has been my favorite for years.

If I did things right I could break clays at staggering distances using 8s, but just in case I carried a box of 1 1/8th 7.5s. After all this time, I think that box is only missing 6 shells. Hope this small tale helps you determine what's best for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Bobsled, I reloaded Herco 1 1/8th at 1300 to replace the Winchester sporting load which was never available locally. I was using a Beretta 391 at the time and the recoil was tolerable. For practice and skeet I was using 1 oz 1300 to save money on shot, and powder.

What I discovered was that the breaks between the shells were the same. Turns out that the number of pellets in a 1 oz shell of 8s is slight more than a 1 1/8th of number 7.5s. Eventually I migrated to the 1oz load because when I added up cost, recoil, and results, I couldn't justify the 1 1/8th Herco load, so the 1 oz load has been my favorite for years.

If I did things right I could break clays at staggering distances using 8s, but just in case I carried a box of 1 1/8th 7.5s. After all this time, I think that box is only missing 6 shells. Hope this small tale helps you determine what's best for you.
Slowshooter - that Winchester "Super Sport" sporting load is a nice shell. I've found it both 7 1/2 and 8. I'm using a fitted Browning 525 and the recoil is relatively minimal. The recipe for 19.8 Clays, W209, WAA12SL produces a 1,290 fps shell that responds similarly. I look forward to trying the WSF recipe that produces slightly less pressure. Thanks again to all for their input.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Slowshooter - that Winchester "Super Sport" sporting load is a nice shell. I've found it both 7 1/2 and 8. I'm using a fitted Browning 525 and the recoil is relatively minimal. The recipe for 19.8 Clays, W209, WAA12SL produces a 1,290 fps shell that responds similarly. I look forward to trying the WSF recipe that produces slightly less pressure. Thanks again to all for their input.
Let us know if you decide to shop Wal Mart in the future. It is a favorite past time of the hoarders.

·
Registered
474 Posts
23 gns of Clays? Ummmm yeah - you wanna shoot that one I HIGHLY recommend you load up six the way you make them and send them off to be tested. I shot 16.9 gns with 7/8 ounce at 1250ish FPS. It listed at 9K and TESTED at 11K PSI. Your process, powder lot, crimp depth, wad seat pressure, hull (I bet they used a new hull and not a once fired - new hulls produce less pressure), bushing, etc. are all variables that need accounted. I would not just load and shoot this. No, you're not gonna blow up your barrel, but you will beat the crap out of your gun over time.

Not quite 1300? Says 1390?
The one ounce load is 1390 the 1.125 is 1290. My son and I have shot close 20k of this load no issues at all.

·
Registered
680 Posts
You guys are killing yourselves with those heavy loads. One club I get to shoot at every now and then throws some crossing targets pretty far out, probably 70 yards. I'll use a AA silver bullet on those, but I still have to get out in front of it... at least a school bus length. Most of the guys l shoot with shoot one ounce Fiocchi shells, #7 1/2, running at 1200 fps. The club usually does a bulk order for their members and this is what they buy. Oh... the average age of my friends is around eighty years young, and I'm lucky to hang in there with them. They're good shooters.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Let us know if you decide to shop Wal Mart in the future. It is a favorite past time of the hoarders.
Heck yeah, Imma hoard all the ammo I can get my hands on before they put a $1 a round tax on it. That's just a guess, could well be higher. I wish I'd started over the summer before my local WM made ammo a "must ask at customer service first" item. I only have about 200 value packs. I bet I can double my money on them within the year.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Heck yeah, Imma horde all the ammo I can get my hands on before they put a $1 a round tax on it. That's just a guess, could well be higher. I wish I'd started over the summer before my local WM made ammo a "must ask at customer service first" item. I only have about 200 value packs.
I do the same and I started well before last summer, with primers, powder and factory shells when they ran rebates. The manufacturers need support in all years.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Came across this post from 2019.... A little dated but supports why I tell everyone to test their favorite reload. You really should not treat published data as fact.

This is a letter for letter published load.

After reading TimnB’s chronograph tests on some of his hand loads, I decided to send one of my hand loads to Kevin at Downrange for testing. I sent him 10 rounds that were individually weighed on a RCBS balance scale as follows:

Remington STS once fired hulls
Remington STS primer
18.0 grains of Hodgdon Clays
Downrange DRRF8 wads (Rem Fig 8 clone)
1.125 ounces of shot

The Hodgdon web site lists this load at 1145 fps
Pressure of 7,900 LUP

I was surprised to see that the Ballistic report from Downrange showed:
The average velocity at 1218 fps
The average pressure of 10,783 PSI

·
Registered
31 Posts
First time posting here. I am requesting advice on reloading for sporting clays. MEC sizemaster.

I am looking for a recipe to produce 1 1/8 loads with velocity ranging from 1,300-1,350.

I'm using Winchester AA compression hulls and W209 primers. My preferred powder stock is Hodgdon Clays and I have a variety of wads available.

Has anyone used a recipe with Clays and 1 1/8 loads to produce a 1,300 fps load? I'd like to avoid using Longshot (due to recoil) although would consider other powders.

Thank you in advance.
I use Winchester Super Handicap and Universal, And without going out to look in my notes, I believe I use the Fig 8 and or the CB-4118. I use Cheddite on all my reloads in all gages. Some say it makes little to no difference. Other will say it does. I've use a friends chronograph and every shell had different speeds. All loaded on the MEC 9000H at the same time.

·
Registered
275 Posts
When I started shooting sporting clays I used 1 1/8 oz loads, save your shoulder and cut back to 1oz. 1 oz will break clays just fine for sporting clays with an i/c choke ! I also reload my own shells but with nothing that you are using. I use Winchester or Remington hulls, Noble Sport Or Fiocchi primers, 18 1/2 grains E3 powder, and DRA-12 Downrange wads or Pink Claybuster CB1100-12 wads, 1oz 8s, it will break anything for sporting clays. I had 10 shells I sent to Downrange and they chronographed them at 1300 to 1310 fps. Powder is very clean burning your gun and shoulder will thank you for it. I have been using this load for 12+ years.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My wife and I were shooting sporting clays up North about 20 years ago. A nice gentleman came up to our cart and asked if he could join us. We agreed and at that point he broke out a couple of flats of factory shells that were 11/8 oz. with a velocity of 1325fps. I do not remember the brand. He said he won the shells, and if we let him join us we could shoot as many as we liked.

After the third station I drove back to the club house and bought shells that were 1 oz. going 1200 fps. Our new friend then told me he had been trying to give the shells away and no one would take them.

Lol, John

41 - 60 of 75 Posts