Trapshooters Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,517 Posts
I’m wondering why you would want 13 to 1350 of 1&1/8 for sporting clays. Seems anything from 1165 to 1200 would be adequate. Sporting Clays Stations present two targets customarily the second is on report or you could call for a true pair. A full payload at 1350 fps imho is not going to leave you with a steady 2nd shot. You wouldn’t use that recipe for Doubles would you?

·
Registered
81 Posts
With the AA's you can get 1-1/8, 1300 with Green Dot, Unique and Herco by Alliant or 1310 from Universal by Hodgdon but if you can get away with more shot, I'd look at 1-1/4, 1-3/8 or 1-1/2 ounce load of #7 or #6's at 1250 fps. They are deadly on long crossers. Look in the Alliant Powder book for 12 Gauge Heavy loads. I shoot the 1-1/8 Bornaghi's, 1300 #7.5's for a call shot at Annies, am loading some 1-1/4 #7's for medium and use a 1-1/2 #6 at around 1250 if I am #3 or farther down the line or for shoot off's. We also shoot long crossers on a regular basis out of our standard trap thrower. I shoot 1 oz loads for Sporting, and will on occasion switch to bigger shot on farther birds. The Bornaghi #7.25 one ounce papers at 1395 are super on the longer birds.

·
Registered
30,567 Posts
Wow, what about pressure? Rule of thumb is keeping loads down to 11,000 lbs or less. Loads with Clays, AA’s and WIN 209’s at 1200 FPS or slightly less are ranging from 9,400 to 10,600 LUP, according to Hodgdon printed manual and Lyman’s #4 has them 10,300 to 11,500 PSI. What are we looking at with 1300 to 1350 fps and how long did you want to keep your gun?

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Go to the Alliant and Hodgdon sites and find powders that give the velocity you want. Then try to find them. I have a batch of Herco, and it is clean burning. So is Universal. Winchester Super Handicap is turning out to be my favored powder for 1250 loads with 1 1/8 oz of shot. Herco is sparsely available, but hits the racks occasionally.
Herco can go to suborbital speeds with 1 1/8 oz loads.

When getting in the 1300 fps arena, make sure recoil does not become an issue. If your gun is on the heavy side and fits, you should be fine. I bought a small sample of Winchester's Diamond Elite 1300 1 1/8 ouncers, and recoil was there, but not pronounced. It would hammer a target that was far, far, away.

Using a Full and Super Full choke in the Krieghoff seems to work well with my preferred load. I never run out of choke, and the 1250's do the job on 60+ yard targets. The courses I prefer do not have targets under 35 yards or so, and can hit the 60-70 yard mark pretty fast.

Do yourself a big favor and follow the loading data closely. Ammo at this level is at the top of the pyramid and must be used as listed. Do not try to re invent the wheel and damage your gun.

Many folks do not see the need for these loads, but there is a place for them on the Sporting course. We want harder, faster, longer targets, and savvy target setters and range operators are accommodating us. I recently shot at a station where the lead was the length of my car, a Kia Soul. I did not skip that station, and judging from the empties there, a lot of folks had the same thirst for this type of target. Ammo must be up to the task. If I shoot the short course I take my 28 or 410.

·
Registered
779 Posts
If you're really serious Game Bore makes a 1500 FPS load lol.

Remember that a GOOD SC course is set up for ALL shooting levels. If you're an A class guy then you need to be gunned to reliably hit those long quartering targets. We can talk all day about what that means but an IC or MOD choke will break any SC target with 1 1/8 at 1250 if you do your part. If you're E or D class, frankly that target is not there for you yet. Once you start breaking it more often than not, and you will, you can start to worry about changing your choke or upping your shell beyond a budget offering. But if you're not breaking in the 70s, stick with cheap stuff until you are. There are 80+ targets out there you can break with anything. Just trying to save you some cheddar....

·
Registered
162 Posts
There is a Kent shell that booms @ 1300. Green box 1 ⅛ of hard shot. A guy in our group shoots them.
Another guy shoot 1 oz 1150 winchester super sporting.

Same targets, same breaks. Some are far.

·
Registered
474 Posts
06A05DDB-4925-4CC9-9877-A9093220C169.jpeg
This load is from BPI and is an excellent sporting clays load. Not quite 1300 like you asked but within 10fps. We have ran this load for the las t three years and had very good luck with it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
At a larger sporting clays shoot I’ll carry a box of B&P F2 Mach 7 1/2s @ 1300fps, just in case. In practice I shoot a variety of 1 oz 1250fps shells and can break those long targets well enough that I don’t want to waste my limited supply of the F2s. The top guys practice with their tournament shells but I don’t think I’m good enough that it matters and it works well enough to keep me in M.

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
All you need to do is keep checking the powders listed on Hodgdon's website. It took me about 2 minutes to find that-------Winchesters WSF powder will get you 1,300 fps to 1,400 fps. Good Luck and break em all jeff

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
^^^ I'm sure they are all over the world.
I have only shot sporting clays at 3 places near me and one 2 hours away and a bunch in Western Ohio.
One of the spots near me (Lawrence County Sportsmans) threw some targets that were ridiculous.

·
Registered
779 Posts
View attachment 1732196 This load is from BPI and is an excellent sporting clays load. Not quite 1300 like you asked but within 10fps. We have ran this load for the las t three years and had very good luck with it.

23 gns of Clays? Ummmm yeah - you wanna shoot that one I HIGHLY recommend you load up six the way you make them and send them off to be tested. I shot 16.9 gns with 7/8 ounce at 1250ish FPS. It listed at 9K and TESTED at 11K PSI. Your process, powder lot, crimp depth, wad seat pressure, hull (I bet they used a new hull and not a once fired - new hulls produce less pressure), bushing, etc. are all variables that need accounted. I would not just load and shoot this. No, you're not gonna blow up your barrel, but you will beat the crap out of your gun over time.

Not quite 1300? Says 1390?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
^^^ I'm sure they are all over the world.
I have only shot sporting clays at 3 places near me and one 2 hours away and a bunch in Western Ohio.
One of the spots near me (Lawrence County Sportsmans) threw some targets that were ridiculous.
They aren't so bad once you get used to them. Quit hating! The A and Bs are stupid easy and you get those on every stand so leave my C and Ds alone!

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
Trust me, I'm not hating them !
I think its fun to watch everyone just waste lead shooting at targets you can barely see... o_O

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Just curious- what courses throw very, very long targets. That must wreck people scores in NSCA events.
Yes, in the lower classes. In the upper classes, especially upper M class, they just keep rising to the occasion. You see 190/200 or sometimes even higher as a winning score.

M&M is having a long bird shoot, soon I think. Everything will be far. I'm curious to see what the scores will be.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Trust me, I'm not hating them !
I think its fun to watch everyone just waste lead shooting at targets you can barely see... o_O
You are there at the wrong times then and seeing the googans. They are breakable. Good hard shot and an IM will do you wonders. When I'm feeling good, I use my XF. When I'm nervous I drop down to an IM.

LCSA provides great practice for Regional level targets and above. Let's keep it that way.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts