Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time posting here. I am requesting advice on reloading for sporting clays. MEC sizemaster.

I am looking for a recipe to produce 1 1/8 loads with velocity ranging from 1,300-1,350.

I'm using Winchester AA compression hulls and W209 primers. My preferred powder stock is Hodgdon Clays and I have a variety of wads available.

Has anyone used a recipe with Clays and 1 1/8 loads to produce a 1,300 fps load? I'd like to avoid using Longshot (due to recoil) although would consider other powders.

Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
BT99
76 Posts
I get about 1270 from 18.5 gr of 700X pushing 1 oz in a Win AA. I think that's my fastest trap load.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
With all due respect he was inquiring about 11/8 oz loads at 1300fps.
He never mentioned 1 oz loads.
And most definitely you got to use a different powder for such a requested load.

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
Bobsled, you're new here and we don't know you yet.
Do you use the powder companys' data charts for your reloads?
I see you mentioned Clays and Longshot- both are Hodgon products. Go to their site and look around...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bobsled, you're new here and we don't know you yet.
Do you use the powder companys' data charts for your reloads?
I see you mentioned Clays and Longshot- both are Hodgon products. Go to their site and look around...
You are correct, we don't know each other. Yes, I'm using the Hodgdon site. Can't find what I'm after, hence the request for assistance on a powder change.

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
Longshot is pretty much the only powder I see them listing for 1 1/8 @ 1,300+ for Winchesters hulls and primers.
Well, I did see about 4 loads for WSH and Windjammers... (Windjammers blow) :whistle:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Longshot is pretty much the only powder I see them listing for 1 1/8 @ 1,300 for Winchesters hulls and primers.
Well, I did see about 4 loads for WSH and Windjammers... (Windjammers blow) :whistle:
The Longshot recipes are all 1,400+ which is beyond my preference. I may consider switching to Herco if it burns clean.

·
Registered
779 Posts
TBH, brutally honest, your best bet here are the WALMART value packs. They run 1250ish fps over the chrono and are a solid 1 1/8 ounce load. I've seen them as low as under $20 per 100..... you can't reload for that. That and the time needed using a size master.... buy your shells. I love my two size masters, but they are for steel reloading. I wouldn't ever consider volume on them. The 9000 has that job, but even with that I'll buy those 100 packs at $20.

·
Premium Member
5,542 Posts
My only advice is to rethink the 1300-1350 fps piece of it. Totally unnecessary. 1250 is more than enough. 1200 is all you need. I'm primarily a sporting clays shooter and my favorite loads are 1 1/8 oz, going ~1200 fps, with pressures in the 10,500 psi range for clean burns and consistent performance and moderate recoil. You will beat yourself to a pulp with speeds that high with 1 1/8 oz and a half case of shells in a morning.

And, welcome to ts.com.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
My only advice is to rethink the 1300-1350 fps piece of it. Totally unnecessary. 1250 is more than enough. 1200 is all you need. I'm primarily a sporting clays shooter and my favorite loads are 1 1/8 oz, going ~1200 fps, with pressures in the 10,500 psi range for clean burns and consistent performance and moderate recoil. You will beat yourself to a pulp with speeds that high with 1 1/8 oz and a half case of shells in a morning.

And, welcome to ts.com.
Mr. Bobsled shoots some brutally long targets. I have a hunch I know the courses he shoots. Some sporties have convinced themselves they need the extra pellet energy that comes from speed for those way out there targets. Right or wrong, that's a prevailing theory.

And yes, some places throw seriously long targets at 70 yards, sometimes more. It's not common but I carry a laser range finder in training to verify some of the silliness.

For example, I shot a going away Chondel. The trap was 47 yards from me...going away quartering out. It's kinda stupid but it happens. That's not the majority of shots but sometimes the setter gets mad or something.

If in the future, you find recoil to be an issue, 1oz at 1300 is similar to 1 1/8oz 1150 according the recoil calculators. If you love 1 1/8oz at 1300fps, rock on!

·
Registered
296 Posts
First time posting here. I am requesting advice on reloading for sporting clays. MEC sizemaster.

I am looking for a recipe to produce 1 1/8 loads with velocity ranging from 1,300-1,350.

I'm using Winchester AA compression hulls and W209 primers. My preferred powder stock is Hodgdon Clays and I have a variety of wads available.

Has anyone used a recipe with Clays and 1 1/8 loads to produce a 1,300 fps load? I'd like to avoid using Longshot (due to recoil) although would consider other powders.

Thank you in advance.
WSF powder will fit all the needs you are looking for. All the recipes are listed on the Hodgden site. My favorite way back load was 1.18, 25.5 grains WSF, 1 ounce Win wad, Fed 209A primer. 1310fps. WSF has loads up to 1400fps.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts