Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Section V1-6

In a State program I looked at it says if the minimum 500 target handicap requirement isn’t made a 2 yard penalty not to exceed the 26 yard line will be assessed. Is this a rules violation?

Doug

2E7AAD62-CAAF-43ED-A696-8FE24A77045F.jpeg

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Maybe someone wasn't familiar with the current rule.
I would send the Delegate a note.

Good catch.

Its All Good

West

·
Registered
10,382 Posts
The rule is an assigned starting yardage. Shoot management may issue penalty yardage if a minimum number of targets are not met as long as it is in the program. Example At the Grand ( with the exception SR. Vets and those over 70 yrs. old ) you must have a min.of 1,000 targets within that year or you shoot from 25 yds.

·
Registered
10,382 Posts
Page 23 10. E. PENALTY YARDAGE Shoot Management may establish penalty yardage based on numbers of registered targets if those target requirements are printed in the program. In no event shall any shooter be assigned a handicap of less than their current yardage. Penalty Yardage must be posted at the Club prior to entry of any Handicap Event it not printed in the program. Penalty yardage shall not exceed 25 yards, or current yardage, whichever is greater.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Looks like the shoot directors missed the fact that 25 is the max for penalty yardage

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Usually, people who must get the shoot programs out do not get paid, are short handed, and do the business of their state trapshooting associations in their spare time. That said, most of the programs have a set "boilerplate" that is used every year. I would guess the mention of a 26 yard line penalty is a simple oversight on the part of over worked volunteers. This season is the first with the 25 yard maximum penalty so I am not surprised that something was missed.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Usually, people who must get the shoot programs out do not get paid, are short handed, and do the business of their state trapshooting associations in their spare time. That said, most of the programs have a set "boilerplate" that is used every year. I would guess the mention of a 26 yard line penalty is a simple oversight on the part of over worked volunteers. This season is the first with the 25 yard maximum penalty so I am not surprised that something was missed.

It’s being corrected. Also there’s going to be a 3 yard penalty assessed for any one wearing LOUD pants.
Doug

·
Registered
10,382 Posts
This is why a CONSTANT review of the rules is important for everyone . Heck ,at a MAJOR shoot sometime back one of the shoot managers DQed a guy because his shells said 3-1/4 DRAMS although the velocity and weight were legal, and there hadn't been anything about DRAMS in the Ammo rules for freakin YEARS !!!!!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
This is why a CONSTANT review of the rules is important for everyone . Heck ,at a MAJOR shoot sometime back one of the shoot managers DQed a guy because his shells said 3-1/4 DRAMS although the velocity and weight were legal, and there hadn't been anything about DRAMS in the Ammo rules for freakin YEARS !!!!!
Was anything done to discipline the director for mis-applying a cut and dried rule? Was the DQed shooter made whole in any way?

·
Registered
10,382 Posts
Was anything done to discipline the director for mis-applying a cut and dried rule? Was the DQed shooter made whole in any way?
They pulled off the squad with only a few shots left. I think they were going to let him shoot his last few targets but by then it has escalated pretty much out of control and got heated and he never did . Don't know if he got a refund or not. There were two idiots in this one. The clueless mgr. and the moron that protested . Believe me ,there are still clueless people out there that think the rules book says something about DRAMS and don't realize that the rules go by shot weight and velocity and have for years ! The really sad thing is this was a MAJOR Club , not some small one. There are plenty of people running around that never read a rule book, have an old ou dated one and just go buy what o'l so ans so told them ! I carry a current one in my shooting bag at all times. Everybody should IMO .

·
Registered
22,914 Posts
There are plenty of people running around that never read a rule book, have an old ou dated one and just go buy what o'l so ans so told them ! I carry a current one in my shooting bag at all times. Everybody should IMO .
Do that and get mocked. Or hated. By the violators. Even as a State Board of Directors member when you call folks out and show them chapter and verse they want another opinion. By their butt buddy Mo.

·
Premium Member
6,025 Posts
They pulled off the squad with only a few shots left. I think they were going to let him shoot his last few targets but by then it has escalated pretty much out of control and got heated and he never did . Don't know if he got a refund or not. There were two idiots in this one. The clueless mgr. and the moron that protested . Believe me ,there are still clueless people out there that think the rules book says something about DRAMS and don't realize that the rules go by shot weight and velocity and have for years ! The really sad thing is this was a MAJOR Club , not some small one. There are plenty of people running around that never read a rule book, have an old ou dated one and just go buy what o'l so ans so told them ! I carry a current one in my shooting bag at all times. Everybody should IMO .
Board of Directors and officials presiding over shoots are not alot different than most shooters.

It's absolutely not a crime to read the rule book and it doesn't cost additionally when obtaining membership!

·
Registered
970 Posts
I have never run into a shoot official (at a major shoot) that doesn't know the rule, carries a rule book with them, or knows who to call for a correct answer. I know my Delegate knows the rules. Plenty at local shoots but things are typically done correctly at all shoots I attend. I run shoots at my club, so when I go to another club to shoot, it's like a vacation day for me.

·
Registered
904 Posts
So...the way I read this rule..if you are at the 25 through the 27, basically you have no target requirements for shoots and cannot be penalized?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts