Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a spray and pray sporting clays shooter. I wasn't improving much. Shot trap last week to kill time. I really enjoyed it.

Watched the D. Lee Braun "Fundamentals of Trap Shooting." It helped me with stance and hold points.

This morning, I put 100 rounds through my gun (686 Onyx, 28" barrel, IM choke). Shot from the 16 yard line to warm up, then moved to the 20. No real rhyme or reason why I did that.

My last 25 rounds I shot 19/25 from the 16 yard line. I'm not disappointed.

Next steps? Find a practice routine? Work on pre-shot routine (I know this is an issue)?

·
Registered
546 Posts
I recommend getting Leo Harrison’s videos. @trapwife can steer you in the direction to purchase them or maybe try a google search. They are what helped me more than anything else. Don’t over complicate it by worrying about 1oz vs 1-1/8oz, #7.5 vs 8 shot, modified vs full chokes. None of that matters for singles (16yd). Honestly, probably doesn’t even matter for long handicap. What matters most is proper eye hold, gun hold, and REALLY seeing the target. Worry about seeing the target clearly and not just an orange streak or flash. Pick something on the target, like the black rim or center concaved part. Then, keep your cheek on the stock the whole time, your eyes on that part of the target the whole time, and squeeze the trigger and you’ll smoke it.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
On my pre-shot routine what really helped me was thinking of two things just before I called pull. It can be whatever two things you want. What worked for me was "hold low, shoot low". I wanted to see the top of the trap house and shoot at the bottom of the targets.

As long as I was saying two things to myself after I mounted my gun, I was concentrating on what I was doing.

"this is fun, I can't miss" may not be good things to think about during your pre-shot routine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I recommend getting Leo Harrison’s videos. @trapwife can steer you in the direction to purchase them or maybe try a google search. They are what helped me more than anything else. Don’t over complicate it by worrying about 1oz vs 1-1/8oz, #7.5 vs 8 shot, modified vs full chokes. None of that matters for singles (16yd). Honestly, probably doesn’t even matter for long handicap. What matters most is proper eye hold, gun hold, and REALLY seeing the target. Worry about seeing the target clearly and not just an orange streak or flash. Pick something on the target, like the black rim or center concaved part. Then, keep your cheek on the stock the whole time, your eyes on that part of the target the whole time, and squeeze the trigger and you’ll smoke it.
Thanks - I found the videos available to download.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On my pre-shot routine what really helped me was thinking of two things just before I called pull. It can be whatever two things you want. What worked for me was "hold low, shoot low". I wanted to see the top of the trap house and shoot at the bottom of the targets.

As long as I was saying two things to myself after I mounted my gun, I was concentrating on what I was doing.

"this is fun, I can't miss" may not be good things to think about during your pre-shot routine.
This sounds like good counsel. Thanks -

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Practicing your gun mounts until they are second nature and a strong pre shot routine will do wonders. Leo's video was a tremendous help for my singles and handicap game.
Remember, you don't have to do everything exactly as Leo did. He talks about that in his video. Use the tips he gives and tweek them until they work for you. Best of luck in your shooting endeavors!

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
Skeet, sporting, and other clay target games offer enjoyment but trap is special since you get to see those clays get crushed, waiting less time to shoot more, and have three different games to enjoy! Liking trap leads to loving trap leads to addiction! Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
I'm a spray and pray sporting clays shooter. I wasn't improving much. Shot trap last week to kill time. I really enjoyed it.

Watched the D. Lee Braun "Fundamentals of Trap Shooting." It helped me with stance and hold points.

This morning, I put 100 rounds through my gun (686 Onyx, 28" barrel, IM choke). Shot from the 16 yard line to warm up, then moved to the 20. No real rhyme or reason why I did that.

My last 25 rounds I shot 19/25 from the 16 yard line. I'm not disappointed.

Next steps? Find a practice routine? Work on pre-shot routine (I know this is an issue)?
Now that you got your feet wet, change your choke to a Full for practice, switch back to IM for tournaments. I foiund that I do better with the Full choke so I just leave it in. I suspect it is a mental thing about making sure you are focusing. When you do not get a smoke ball your focus is a little off. You need to get back to into the game.

Trying some shots at the 20 yard line actually makes sense. As a new male shooter that is where you start shooting Handicap trap from.

Join the ATA and/or PITA. Start shooting and regestering targets. As you improve it is nice to win some prizes/money.

My story is I was mainly a bird hunter. A friend took me Sk##t shooting. I discovered that I enjoyed the shooting part more than the hunting part. Shot Trap for the first time with my 20 ga and went 23 straight, thought this is easy all out going shots...Lost. Thought now if I was shooting a 12 ga...Lost. I should have learned right there not to think. LOL

If you enjoy shooting... try shooting Doubles. I find that I enjoy this part of Trap the most.

I believe it was Leo Harrison III that said. "Singles for glory, Handicap for money and Doubles for fun."

Jason

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The best thing about my shooting outing yesterday was that I invited a friend that shoots sporting clays. We both shot three boxes and had a good time.

I am 100% convinced that time spend shooting trap and skeet - practicing - will payoff in sporting clays.

The less I thought, the better I shot. I think my pre-shot routine may include me quoting/paraphrasing to myself Crash Davis / Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh: "Don't think, Meat."

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
The best thing about my shooting outing yesterday was that I invited a friend that shoots sporting clays. We both shot three boxes and had a good time.

I am 100% convinced that time spend shooting trap and skeet - practicing - will payoff in sporting clays.

The less I thought, the better I shot. I think my pre-shot routine may include me quoting/paraphrasing to myself Crash Davis / Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh: "Don't think, Meat."
Shooting subconsciously works best for me. Google "quiet eye". It has improved my shooting tremendously!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts