Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure its somewhere in the rule book but I don't have any idea where mine is. Kinda new to this trapshooting. Came from the sporting side.

If one misses the first shot on doubles is it legal to shoot at it again or must one attempt the other bird.

Thanks

· Registered
36,909 Posts
A miss is a lost bird and failure to shoot the second bird, if legal is also lost.

From the rule book.

C. LOST TARGET
The referee/scorer shall rule, “LOST”:
1. When the contestant fires and fails to break the target whether missed or
when only dust falls from it. A “Dusted Target,” is a target from which there is a puff of dust, but no perceptible piece is seen; it is not a dead target and does not declare a failure to fire; or

2. When a whole target appears promptly after a contestant’s recognizable command and is within the legal limits of flight and the contestant voluntarily does not fire; or….

Reactions: slide action

· Registered
3,700 Posts
I'm sure its somewhere in the rule book but I don't have any idea where mine is. Kinda new to this trapshooting. Came from the sporting side.

If one misses the first shot on doubles is it legal to shoot at it again or must one attempt the other bird.
If you miss the first target on Doubles it's lost and you shot the second target.
C. LOST TARGET
6. When a contestant deliberately fires at the same target twice in Doubles
Events. This rule is not applicable to a gun “doubling” or “machine-
gunning”, see Rule VII, D., 3.; or

Its All Good
West

· Registered
21 Posts
I'm not following the interpretation. So fire at first and miss then fire at same target and break it's lost pair per the rule book? I don't see that in anything posted here. Not saying it's not so but is it spelled out in black and white that you can only fire at a target once ?

· Registered
325 Posts
Once the shot is fired and missed on 1st bird it’s a LOST TARGET, if 2nd shot is fired at that same target then it’s a FAILURE TO FIRE AT LEGAL 2ND TARGET which under ATA rules results in it also being a LOST TARGET therefore it’s LOST A PAIR regardless of results of any 2nd shot at first target

· Registered
36,909 Posts
I'm not following the interpretation. So fire at first and miss then fire at same target and break it's lost pair per the rule book? I don't see that in anything posted here. Not saying it's not so but is it spelled out in black and white that you can only fire at a target once ?
It is there and in black and white. You should read the rule book. Here it is, page 28,

SECTION VII OFFICIAL SCORING
C. LOST TARGET
1….
2….
3….
4….
5….
6…..
6. When a contestant deliberately fires at the same target twice in Doubles Events.

· Registered
21 Posts
It is there and in black and white. You should read the rule book. Here it is, page 28,

SECTION VII OFFICIAL SCORING
C. LOST TARGET
1….
2….
3….
4….
5….
6…..
6. When a contestant deliberately fires at the same target twice in Doubles Events.
I was not disputing whether or not it was in the rule book I just didn't see it in what was posted. I certainly see it there.

· Registered
36,909 Posts
I was not disputing whether or not it was in the rule book I just didn't see it in what was posted. I certainly see it there.
It was quoted in post #3 by “West.”

Reactions: Chasd3

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
It was spelled out.

C. LOST TARGET
6. When a contestant deliberately fires at the same target twice in Doubles
Events. This rule is not applicable to a gun “doubling” or “machine-
gunning”, see Rule VII, D., 3.;

· Registered
2,353 Posts
I shouldn't even be posting in this thread due to how much of an autistic trainwreck I am when shooting doubles due to me being out of practice. Anyways, I'm just mainly a casual and the rules don't apply to me. It took a long time, but I did manage to condition myself to just ignore the missed first target and go for the second. For the most part I'm quick enough to hit the second target and then go back to the missed first and attempt it again.

· Registered
579 Posts
I shouldn't even be posting in this thread due to how much of an autistic trainwreck I am when shooting doubles due to me being out of practice. Anyways, I'm just mainly a casual and the rules don't apply to me. It took a long time, but I did manage to condition myself to just ignore the missed first target and go for the second. For the most part I'm quick enough to hit the second target and then go back to the missed first and attempt it again.
Then you would need more than 2 shells in your gun, and that would be a violation. Section IV, I, Safety, 12.

The rules apply to everyone!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.