Trapshooters Forum banner

Screwdrivers for narrow Browning screws.

4827 Views 26 Replies 26 Participants Last post by  rolexdr
Anyone know the best screwdrivers for narrow forend screws Grace Co perhaps?
Reactions: sdive2
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
4,113 Posts
My friend, a top gunsmith who spent his working life working for 2 Prestigious companies only used cheap screw drivers. 50 cents to a dollar each. The catch was he would meticulously grind each one for the specific screw he needed to work on. After the 45 years I have know him he has a tremendous stock of specialty screwdrivers.

· Registered
8,591 Posts
The Brownell Magna-Tip sets are hard to beat. When I called them for advice they connected me with their "screwdriver expert" and his suggestions couldn't have worked out better for my Brownings (and others). They even replaced the handle free of charge, when it began to lose it's magnetism.

Bob Falfa

· Premium Member
1,364 Posts
I think Brownells are the best screwdriver bits you can buy. I have used their thin blades for many years and they hold up. You can grind your own but most anneal the tip by getting them too hot then quenching them in water, this can take any temper in the steel out and give you a soft blade. Regards, Bob

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
I think Brownells are the best screwdriver bits you can buy. I have used their thin blades for many years and they hold up. You can grind your own but most anneal the tip by getting them too hot then quenching them in water, this can take any temper in the steel out and give you a soft blade. Regards, Bob
Actually they burn the carbon out of them by not quenching soon enough or often enough. If you rest your finger on the bit close to the grinding and quench as soon as you feel it getting hot you can do an excellent job on a dry grinder.

· Registered
184 Posts
Brownells sells a grinding wheel that you can use in a drill press to grind their screwdriver bits. I have the thin-set but many are not thin enough to get in the slot. Get the thin-set and the grinding wheel and grind to fit.

· Registered
3,174 Posts
I use this set from Chapman for my Browning's it's pricey but has what you need for Citori's and BT-99s, if you want a general gunsmithing set get the large Wheeler kit.

· Registered
110 Posts
My vote is for Brownells magna tip set with the thin bit set built just for Browning's. I have had the master set for years and is the only screwdriver I will put in my guns. While you are at it buy the grinding wheel they sell just for the bits and you will never need another screwdriver.

· Premium Member
238 Posts
I flinch a little when I think of how many years I've been buying stuff from Brownell's. You can't go wrong there. If for some reason it ain't right, they'll make it right.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.