Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an XT and it is by far the nicest gun in my big metal box. To protect it I leave it in its hardcase with one end open for ventilation. I don’t know how it happened but there is a scratch about ¾” long on the forearm aft of the checkering. It’s deep enough to hook my fingernail in so I’m unsure about trying to buff it out. It would seem some sort of filler would be needed. I was thinking of an auto paint pen in a clear coat but I just don’t know.
Has anyone fixed their own stock dings? I’m sure there a dozen stock smiths I could send it to but I’m kind of a DIY guy.
Thanks,
Earl

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
The first scratch is always a bummer. You'll get over it. I wouldn't try to buff it out. If you go through the finish on a Browning you will have bigger problems. You could end up worse of trying to fix it so beware.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
After the kids were grown and out of college I bought my first non-meat gun, a Beretta Silver Pigeon. Every time I handled the gun it would bump into something. I scratched the gun first time putting it in the safe. An older regular at the trap club said if you don’t shoot and scratch it, someone would after you’re gone. Bummer about the scratch, know how it feels.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have repaired a lot of dents and scratches in stocks. You can fill the scratch with finish. Try minwax poly, i t will probably match. Fill it up, 1 coat every 24 hours. sand it flush, last pass use 1000 grit paper, and then buff it to match. You can get a cheap buffing wheel for a drill, and some green polishing compound.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.